• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Merry Ploughboy

Merry Ploughboy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1097 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:40 AM

As much as I dislike the AR type platform you are right. With one lower you can swap out uppers to many calibers. The AR type is a bit more ergonomic than what this Franken Thompson appears to be.

Of course you cannot use an ultra cool 50 or 100 shot Tommy gun drum in an AR...……..

There were some AR-15s put together that use Thompson stick mags.  The base firearm was the Cav Arms AR one-piece body which had a magwell that was wide enough to accept Thompson mags, and IIRC, Hahn made the magwell adapter.

I've seen discussions about side feed, downward eject (Sten like) AR uppers for Thompson stick mags, but I don't recall any being made. And in a similar vein, I've seen discussions about MAC 10 and/or 11/9 uppers that would use drum as well as stick Thompson mags, but I don't recall any being made.

Be well.

#22 StrangeRanger

StrangeRanger

• Regular Group
  • 408 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 06:50 PM

Give the devil his due. The whole concept may stink - and it does - but aa an M1 owner I appreciate the ambi actuator handle

#23 Hossbreed45

Hossbreed45

• Regular Group
  • 109 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:42 PM

To me the whole reason to own and shoot a Tommy Gun is that it looks like and functions like a Tommy Gun, PERIOD :excl:

Thumbs down  :P  on any modification that alters the appearance or function of this fine ole' piece of American History  :excl: 

Just my 2 cents worth...

:rolleyes:  :D 

#24 Quaamik

Quaamik

• Regular Group
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 09:37 PM

No real appeal to me. Personally, I think AO would have a bigger market if they marketed thier current Thompson Pistol with a brace, or made one with a brace of the M1 pattern. It would still look odd compared to a standard Thompson, but it would have more appeal than trying to compete with ARs that can be bought / built for a fraction of the price of a Thompson, run reliably, and can be easily fixed / modified if they don't run right or you want something different.

#25 Baltimoreed11754

Baltimoreed11754

• Regular Group
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Martial double action revolvers, military history, Wild Bunch cowboy action shoots, reloading.

Posted 30 August 2019 - 03:30 PM

I built this 3 and a half years ago. I like mine better than theirs. Theres a cover over the bbl nut now.

Attached Files

Edited by Baltimoreed11754, 30 August 2019 - 03:35 PM.