Another Colt Thompson Question

At a local gun show today a guy had a Colt Thompson buttstock and vertical foregrip for sale. The buttstock had all the metal, was matching #ed and had the Remington anchor. The weird part was it had sling swivels. On the buttstock the swivel was about half way up the bottom of the stock between where the military sling swivel would go and the back slide screw. On the vertical foregrip the sling swivel was on the left side. Now these were not military sling swivels. They were almost bare metal that not only moved vertically( up and down) but also rotated 360 degrees. The seller said the the sling swivels and their placement was British. He was asking $900 for the pair. No pistol grip. What do you think this is? Also should I go back and buy it. Wood was very blond on both. The may have been sanded as they were somewhat smooth. I think he would take less on Sunday. Thanks Rob

Hi Rob,

I don't know for sure but it doesn't sound right to me. When you say the stock had matching numbers do you mean the butt plate and wood? If the stock attachment metal was numbered also it isn't a Colt buttstock, it's probably an early Savage stock. If it is a Colt stock the attachment metal should have a nickel colored catch. If it doesn't, it's an early war stock more than likely.

The British usually did relocate the sling swivels, but I haven't seen one relocated in the place you described. Also the British early on in the war usually used an Enfield type offset swivel on the vertical fore grip. I haven't seen any that rotate. John Jr. from this list posted some pictures of his gun that has an Enfield type swivel on the grip. Maybe you can locate them in the picture section of the Board.

I agree with Devlin also. The price seems to high to me for two pieces with no rear grip. Can you get any pictures?

Rob,

I think this seller is having you on. The Colt Navy 1928 swivels were Enfield, but did not move in any direction other than front and back. No side to side or 360. And unless the stock had the divet for where the sling swivel was attached by Remington/Colt/Auto-Ord filled when the swivel was moved forward, (although the Brits moved them to the top of the stock), then I do not think that the stock is anything other than a possible Colt 21 with add ons, and the vertical grip could be anything.

Arthur,

Good point about the sling swivel cutout. If it wasn't filled in then I agree that it might be just a 1921 stock with some add ons. I believe the British obviously ordered some 1921 models from Auto-Ordnance for evaluation and testing. The 1921 actuators with the Broad Arrow stamp that were recently sold on Ebay would be indication that they obviously possed 1921 models in their arsenal.

If any of the British 1921 models that were used in combat survived the war, it is unlikely that the buttstock Rob saw would be in decent condition. In addition, why wouldn't they have located the sling swivel in the original location on the stock or on the top like they did with their 1928 models?

I think you have it right, the seller is embellishing the story for the sale. Somebody modified some perfectly good Colt wood and is trying to create a story to make it more attractive. If it is Colt wood, $900.00 for the modifications is much too high.