Boatload Of Thompson's For Sale @ Subguns.com

Savage 1928A1, #S340079 - $21k

Colt Thompson 1921AC, #147 - $42k

Colt Thompson 1928 Navy, #12086 - $35k

Colt Thompson 1921AC, #7582 - $35k

There's also another '28 there for sale by diff guy.

Looks like the high prices prompt another to "check out".

/Gone Postal

Edited by GonePostal

At those prices he should "check-in", to a mental institution! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

Mike Hammer

The seller is not a board member but his guns were previously advertised here. I was seriously interested in #147, which was at the time (may still be) at the NRA Thompson exhibit.

I made a special trip to DC to inspect it. The gun was in nice condition and came with nice accessories. However, at the end of the day, $42,000 is too much to sink into a Thompson package, even a nice 3-digit one with some history. There will be some lamentation about TG and all, but frankly there are better non-Thompson pieces out there for the money that 147 costs.

If it was $10,000 cheaper I would have bought it. FWIW, I don't know the seller, LJ, other than by a few phone calls I had with him, but he seems a straight up guy. He's retiring his Thompson collection to move onto other matters.

As far as price is concerned, it is up to the purchaser to decide whether or not any Thompson is worth $42,000 (wow). However, I agree with John, Jr. in that saying the shipping charges and transfer taxes will be paid by the buyer is almost laughable.

come on guy's get it to $50,000.00 please..........so i can sell the six and move to fiji wink!!

and don't forget about my quick loan approval on thompson's.........

and i pay shipping and handling on the check.wink!!

maybe 2005 will be like the chinese calendar.

"the year of the idiot buying thompson's"

at T.G.

i wish him all the luck in selling them.........health and family come first..

With all this talk of record high asking prices, I have a question....

What was the going price for a TSMG on May 19, 1986 (rough estimate)? http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/huh.gif

For a Colt 21?

A 28 Navy?

A WW2 era 28?

A WH28?

Norm http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif

let's see almost 20 year's ago........if my memory doe's not fail me.........anything under $5,000.00 was great!!more like $3,000.00..........and you had a heck of alot more thompson's to choose from...

but what the heck would i know??back then i was only buying them for about 14 year's...so my first {colt 21a model}set me back $900.00. and that was retail!

i'm sure a tale will pop up of somebody that paid less around here.

my least expensive was five m1's at $2,500.00 for the batch........and i thought at the time,that was kinda pricey...and a hurley was $750.00 and you shot the heck out of them.

however i could never figure out a f.n.f.a.l.semi rifle in 1982 was $1,800.00{yep collected those things to.}

well other R.K.I. will chime in.

take care,ron

When I was first interested in Thompsons, I would keep posts to compare prices, condition, etc. so I could have a better understanding of the market before I bought. The earliest post I kept is from July 01. By today's prices, they were incredibly low.

"For Sale from my private collection:

1921A Colt Thompson

This is a great gun with matching serial numbers and all correct Colt '21 internals. The wood is in excellent condition. Original Colt bluing shows 92% with only small surface scratches. The bore is bright and shiny. Your chance to add this hard to find gun to your collection now.

WAS $15,995 alone (no drum)

NOW $14,595 including an Original NY 50rd Drum (a $1,250 value)

1921/28 Colt Thompson Overstamp This gun is in 87-88% overall condition because it has been re-barreled with a Savage bbl. Would Rate it at 90% without the bbl

replacement. The serial numbers match and the internal parts are the correct 21/28 Colt with the nickel actuator. The wood is in excellent condition. A great buy for a Colt these days.

WAS $9,995 alone (no drum)

NOW $9,995 including and Original NY 50rd Drum (a $1,000 value)"

Norm,

I couldn’t find any 1986 price references but here are a few from Kahn and Cox from 1984 through 1987. You can interpolate.

Irv Kahn’s Price list of December, 1984:

Colt 1921A 5298 Excellent $2,995

Colt 1921A 8069 Mint $3,795 “A real beauty”

Colt 1928 Navy 12603 Excellent $2,795

Colt 1928 Navy 2888 Excellent $2,795 “Early markings”

WWII 1928 A1 VG to Mint $1,395 & up “Have 12”

WWII M1A1 Mint $ 995 “Matching”

Phone call to Roger Cox January, 1985:

Conversation about price ranges of Colt guns:

Mint $4,500-5000

Excellent $3,800-4250

Excellent minus $3,650

Very Good $3,250

“C” drms $1,250

“L” drms Bpt $ 275

Roger Cox List of February 21, 1987:

Colt 1921A 3406 Excellent $4,500

Colt 1921AC 7224 Very Good $3,475

Colt 1928 Navy 5432 Excellent $3,850

Colt 1928 Navy 14897 Excellent $4,000

And others.

F.J. Vollmer had quite a few priced from $4000.00 to $6000.00 in the mid 1990's. A very beautiful early Colt '21A sold in 1992 for $5500.00 It was damn near MINT. Also, saw a few ads in Small Arms Review dated 1999 for 90% Colt '21 Guns for around $10,000.00.

How bout this one posted on sturmgewehr. WOW!!!

Posted By: Ryan B. in FL. (cache-rtc-ad03.proxy.aol.com) Rcolt223@aol.com

Auto Ordnance Brigdeport Thompson. Mfger 1942, almost AS NEW, at least 98%-99%! with 50 round L drum and 3 stick mags. I am about 99% sure this gun has been re-finished at one point but, this is the most beautiful Thompson I have ever seen in my life. The gun funtions perfectly, I have fired hundreds of rounds through it, and it has only jamed once, and that was a magazine problem, the 50 round L drum as never mal-functioned, asking $26,995.00

In my opinion this Ryan B fella that is selling the gun may need a little further investigation if anyone is thinking of checking on this TSMG. Saw this-

sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/general.cgi?read=35290

add your own www.

Check the thread yourself and make up your own mind

Is this thread implying that this seller will take your money and run, or is he making false ads for some other agenda?

Sgt. It seems to kinda imply another possible agenda to me- I don't think its saying he is a possible bandit otherwise it would have come out and flat out stated he was a cockroach- I don't know of him at all but this is a kinda small community, one built on trust- if there is something odd one needs to check further, its just prudent.

The guy selling the 4 guns is probably the same guy who has the parts box on evilbay. He also has a 6 oiler set - and references that he still has 4 guns for sale.... fwiw

The four guns listed in the first post of this thread are indeed LJ's. The prices are not just for the gun, but include a lot of extras that LJ has put together, including NY durms and Patent mags. For those of you who have been at the TCA annual show & shoot at Tracie's, you have seen this collection displayed. In the case of 147, he also has NY drum 147 in the set, even though they were never actually delivered as a set.

There is no question LJ is asking top dollar for his collection, but I will let the market decide whether he can get it. He has been heavily invovled in Thompson collecting for a long time and is a charter member of TCA. You won't find a nicer or more honest guy out there. He is just moving on to other priorities.

I also seriously considered #147, but also could not bring myself to sink that much into a single piece. Is it worth the price? Ask me in another couple years. For now, I will enjoy my Savage.

Roger

I could not agree more about LJ. He made my first TCA convention a real pleasure. Never treated my dad and I like outsiders. I saw all the colts and they were nice but very high for todays market but tomorrow?????