Wwii Mags In California

Someone wants to buy some WWII Thompson mags from me, from California. They are 30 rounders, and I refused the sale due to the state ban on Hi-cap mags, but the person is telling me that old mags like these are exempt. Anyone know if this is true or not? Is there any place I can verify or refute this for the buyer? Edited by Floridac3

NRA-ILA California Gun Laws

I did a quick read and the high capacity magazines are banned. I did not see any provision for grandfathering. I get these requests as well and would not send any high cap mags to ca. The Thompsons are banned in california anyway (full auto and semi) so why would one need a high cap thompson mag any way. I think there is a provision for permanently altering a mag to accept no more than 10 rounds though.

Bottom line...if they are asking for illegal items in thier state they are either ignorant or don't care about the laws of the state in which they live -or- they are trying to rope you into a conspiracy and get you busted! Either way...don't do it...not worth the couple of bucks.

(disclaimer- don't take my word for it...I am not a lawyer and by using this information you agree to hold me harmless against all actions resulting from the use of this information) Since I really do not understand the disclaimer that I just wrote I would like to clarify: If the use of this information somehow causes your computer to run amok and kill the pope...I am not responsible. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Did you try to seel them on ebay?

I made the HUGE mistake of trying to sell some Grease gun mags on ebay, and got promptly banned for violating their "weapons" policies. I've heard of others who've had items yanked, such as sling swivels or safety switches.

That's not a "it ain't right" kind of thing, NONE of the items I just mentioned voilates ebay's policies as they send an e-mail to you telling you what they are. And theres no way to appeal...

You did the right thing not selling to a CA buyer, no reason to get i trouble for something stupid like a mag!

"got promptly banned for violating their "weapons" policies"

You were banned or were your auctions dumped? I've had many auctions busted so I just reword them so they are ebaYâ„¢ worthy... I even sold my Old Model Ruger single action revolver on ebaYâ„¢..... Worked like a charm and not a peep out of them....

QUOTE (Z3BigDaddy @ May 5 2005, 10:05 PM)
You were banned or were your auctions dumped?

I got banned, for "multiple" violations of ebay's "weapons policy."

So, what did I do? I tried to sell an M-3 mag, and a die-cast MGC M-16!

That was all it was!

And no, I'm not making this sound more one-sided than it is. I even sent a message to appeal the banning, but the automated repsonse said that very few bannings are ever repealed.

I was booted for 30 days. So, I promptly opened a new ebay account under my wife's e-mail and went on like it never happened.

Damn shame too. I had almost 300 feedbacks. I guess in a couple of weeks, I'll see what kind of hoops I have to jump through...

Don't know about getting money back, but I turned in a seller who shill bid on me once... It was late Sunday night and both accounts were gone when I got up Monday morning....

BTW you may have already told the story but how did you lose thousands of dollars?

I know we're going waaaaay off topic here, but I am curious, but after reading PhilOhio's problem with selling a car on ebay, and knowing dozens of others selling cars on ebay with exactly the same story, do cars actually get sold on ebay? I have only heard stories like PhilOhio's!

My wife's grandfather tried selling a 57 Plymouth on ebay, and what happened to him is what happened to every single person I know who's ever tried to sell any kind of car on ebay:

The person either never made good on the bid, or they showed up, looked at it, and said no way and walked away from it.

I would never try to sell any car on ebay, and it has nothing to do with ebay itself. It's just too easy to walk away from something like that as a bidder!

How about selling the car that you used to transport your Thompson in? http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ph34r.gif Back on track... Yes car selling is the worst... My sons friend bought a car, then bought a one way ticket to pick it up, and the guy no showed on him.... It was a really bad scene... But you can't bust out on ebaY because of ebaY Motors.... selling cars is a crap shoot no matter what ebaY or not..... I would never put all my eggs in any online cars sales be it autotrader or whatever.... I don't know what happened to PO wether he got only one bid so no back up bidders or what.... No way can anyone tell me as a seller there are better ways to sell firearm related items than ebaY.... If you can conform to there funky PC rules.... I've been doing it since 98 and still love it.....

PO That sucks... I started out when it was really small and a buyers market...... the learning curve was slow and easy and not filled with scammers.... I used to get great buys... Now I get great sells..... BTW HTH did this make it all the way thru? I don't remember is being posted here....

Drum Auction

Im not sure ANYONE really works at ebay..... I think it is an automated site manned by aliens ( probably from area 51). I was screwd out of 400.oo and could not get a live person to talk to. My own personal policy is not to buy from any new member and they must have a minimum of 100 with a 98% pos feedback. If they dont I dont bid...... I dont buy anything very expensive anymore. Not after the $400.oo screwing.. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/mad.gif

Sorry...... I know it was off topic but I had to vent.

2Dogs....OUT

I've bought a 2000 model Pickup truck and two 42 GPW's off of ebay. Only thing I've been screwed out of so far is a pair of Army Cots that the guy never sent me. Paypal got me back the rousing sum of $.03 out of my payment of $47.65 and said that the dispute was resolved... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/dry.gif

Ebay evokes a lot of different opinions and emotions from a lot of people. Thanks, PhilOhio for your thoughts on Sturmgewehr. I think Ebay could do a better job in many ways, and I don't like their politics, but I understand our differences, and live by them.

PhilOhio:

The E-Bay concept is one of the greatest ideas that ever was.

Ebay was a phenomenal idea that came from founder Pierre Omidyar, and it has changed all our lives forever.

Pierre was in my high school class in Honolulu, Hawaii. He left after our freshman year because his Dad got reassigned to a job in South Africa, if I remember correctly, and I hung out with him that year, as we attended all the same classes. Hard to believe he went on to capitalize on such a great idea, but then again, not surprising in many ways. He made a very nice donation to our school for our 20th class reunion last year.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Q&A with eBay's Pierre Omidyar

The online auctioneer's founder recounts his surprising early discovery that the site's users almost always know best

Q: EBay seems to be becoming more of a government, though, with explicit "laws" against certain conduct, such as selling firearms.

A: Our role at eBay has become more political. The community really is no longer the way it was in the early days. My philosophy then was, let the community govern itself. That philosophy didn't really scale up. I would have wanted it to. But I realized in early 1998 that at a certain point, you have to say, well, there is a part of the community out there that isn't appropriate, such as alcohol and firearm sales.

That was a role that I think the vast majority of the community wanted us to take. It was something that they felt that they couldn't do themselves. We did that very reluctantly. So we were very careful always to involve the community in everything that we do. We bounce every idea off the community.

PhilOhio,

I have a little bit different outlook on the Ebay situation with Pierre. I applaud him for his great idea, and his timing in the marketplace. I don't agree with his politics, but I would enjoy seeing and talking to him after so many years. He was a nice guy when I knew him at age 15. He was very studious, and probably would have been a geeky computer type, had we had access to more than an IBM punch card computer at the time. Apparently he has done well for himself.

I don't like Ebay's firearm policy. I bought firearm items on Ebay before such items were banned. That being said, I think the marketplace has adjusted accordingly, and many websites fill the void that was created.

I don't believe that any one of us has any inherent "right" to force Ebay to let us buy or sell items that they, as a publicly traded corporation, have decided as a matter of policy that they will not allow to be traded. They can make just about any rules they want, which they have done. We have the "right" to take our business elsewhere, which many do. Ebay probably looks to the "majority of Ebay" to derive what they believe is correct policy, and I have a suspicion that this is somewhat of a California-leaning group of opinions. Ebay probably also listens to the opinion of their stockholders, which may be the best avenue for anyone to change policy.

I think that their enforcement of their rules can be comical at times, and very inconsistent. The inconsistency is probably associated with sheer volume.

I don't remember Pierre's political bent at the time I knew him. I know Hawaii, where I grew up, and where Pierre also lived for a while, is a very liberal place. Ebay is in California, where I believe Pierre now lives. We all know how firearm laws and gun rights are in that state.

My main point is that Pierre had a good idea, he acted on it, and now we have the corporation of Ebay. We can choose to engage in commerce on the site, and/or go to many other good sites that enable us to pursue our interests.

I realize this post has become somewhat OT at this point. To get it slightly back on target, I want to say that I am really looking forward to attending the TCA show and shoot in Ohio in August, and meeting many of you in person!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com