- - - - -

1928 Overstamp Actuator

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 GaryKeim

GaryKeim

• Board Benefactor
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:History of warfare technology, Martin Guitars, Authentic BBQ, C&R FFL

Posted 09 August 2018 - 02:21 AM

I’m interested in obtaining the 2nd and 3rd gen Navy actuators, if any of you might want to let one go.

#22 gijive

gijive

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2560 posts
  • Interests:Thompson SMG, WWII, Firearms in general.

Posted 09 August 2018 - 06:25 AM

An excellent subject and great thread. Sandman is right on point and has posted about this subject in the past. I am certainly late to the game but agree the "Y" marked actuator that Dan is inquiring about is definitely a Colt's era actuator. While my research is not complete, I believe it is the last of the Colt's era 1928 NAVY actuators. The two-piece NAVY actuator GaryKeim posted pictures of (thank you) is the most known and most sought after. However, it is just the first of three. There is a second NAVY actuator which appears to be designed exactly like the one-piece Colt's era NAVY actuator - but no rivets! Alas, one was damaged at the All Thompson Show & Shoot by an owner not realizing it was a Colt's era actuator. The third NAVY actuator, pictured by Dan, is completely different but easy to identify because of the "Y" marking.  

What really got my interest in this thread is the 1921 style actuator Dan used as a comparison piece. I do not believe it is an original 1921 Colt's actuator. If so, it is definitely a new one to me. I also do not believe it is a cut down GI actuator that many of us run in our Thompsons. My 21 style actuators are GI actuators cut down by PK. Of course, he is not the only person that has done this type of modification. I think it very possible the 21 style actuator that Dan posted pictures of, above, may be a cut down Colt's era "Y" marked actuator. I have heard Thompson enthusiasts refer to these "Y" marked actuators as GI actuators in the past, long before I became interested in this subject. I would really like to examine the actuator in-person before offering a more definitive opinion. It could also possibly be a reproduction, but definitely not a Richardson reproduction. All that said, gijive's thoughts about it being a cut-down GI Remington actuator also deserves to be explored further. The unknowns are what make the Thompson world so interesting. 

Dan, what can you tell us about the 21 style actuator? I like it!

Tom,

Glad you posted on this topic.  I am also intrigued by the 1921 style actuator shown in Deerslayer's post.  Notice that the bottom of the ball is thinner at the base, under the checkering than the one-piece actuator on top.  The checkering doesn't appear exactly the same to me either.  I am not sure what it is.

#23 deerslayer

deerslayer

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1801 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 06:45 AM

"21" on top...

Attached Files

#24 deerslayer

deerslayer

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1801 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 07:18 AM

Bottom view.. Appears well machined

Attached Files

#25 gijive

gijive

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2560 posts
  • Interests:Thompson SMG, WWII, Firearms in general.

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:09 AM

All,

I think I may have solved the mystery.  I dug out my 1921 style actuator that was purchased several years ago from a guy in Sweden that was selling them on Ebay.  They are not Colt actuators but are well-machined copies of the original Colt actuators.  The one I picture and the others I have seen like it have the "cove" cut-out for the hammer, like the earliest 1921 Colt actuators.  Notice in the pictures with the 1928 Navy Two-Piece actuator that the base of the knob is thinner and the checkering stops at the same place it does on the actuator shown by Dan.  The only differences with Dan's are the fact that the one he pictured has no "cove" and the area between the cocking ball ears doesn't appear "teardrop" shaped.  There was a lot of discussion about these actuators on the Board many years ago and the speculation was that they may have been made by BSA prior to or during WWII for some reason.

Dan, can you see any markings indicating a Broad Arrow stamp?

Attached File  1928 Navy-1921 Broad Arrow Mark.jpg   298.28K   16 downloads

1928 Colt Two-Piece Actuator - Top  1921 Broad Arrow Marked Actuator - Bottom

Attached File  1921 Broad Arrow Mark.jpg   285.86K   16 downloads

Broad Arrow Mark

Attached File  1921 Actuator-Broad Arrow Stamp.jpg   103.19K   14 downloads

1921 Actuator - Front

Attached File  1928 Navy Two-Piece Actuator-Repaired Right Ear.jpg   118.43K   13 downloads

1928 Two-Piece Actuator with Repaired Right Ear

Edited by gijive, 09 August 2018 - 09:17 AM.

#26 deerslayer

deerslayer

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1801 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:53 AM

The 21 type actuator is in a Savage receiver
NAC Thompson.. Which also has a few other colt parts stuck in it including a buttstock. It also has a blish lock with the ears cut off....I won't shoot it that way... But I do wonder how fast it would run.

No broad arrow marks.

#27 TD.

TD.

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 3126 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:54 AM

Dan,

We have answered your initial question about the "Y" marked 28 NAVY actuator. 

What can you tell us about the 21 style actuator you posted pictures of as a comparison piece? Several theories have been posted and we all agree it is not an original Colt's era 21 actuator. Chuck's post about reproduction 21 actuators from Sweden years ago highlight the potential problems in buying a Colt Thompson with unknown provenance. Unfortunately, there is a lot of reproduction stuff in circulation.  

#28 TD.

TD.

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 3126 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:56 AM

Dan,

Asked and answered. Thanks! Is the Savage a true NAC crate Thompson or an original WWII Savage Thompson with the NAC suffix serial number markings? 

#29 deerslayer

deerslayer

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1801 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 12:16 PM

https://youtu.be/nu-BuGJRHhg

Video of the actuator

#30 deerslayer

deerslayer

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1801 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 12:19 PM

Here it is!

Attached Files

#31 TD.

TD.

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 3126 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 12:31 PM

Dan,

Thanks for posting the picture of the NAC Thompson. I have been waiting on NAC 30 to appear somewhere on the Board or marketplace. A quick look at your posted picture shows a Colt's safety lever and Savage rocker pivot. The magazine catch and ejector are obviously GI. Most NACs are mixmasters. Anything else you can share n this NAC would appreciated as I plan to update my NAC Thompson story in the near future. A high resolution photograph or two like you just posted would also be appreciated. I am guessing a Bridgeport, Conn address on the right side...but just guessing.

This makes me further believe the 21 style actuator in NAC 30 was formerly a 28 NAVY "Y" marked actuator.  Nice video too!

Thanks again! 

#32 deerslayer

deerslayer

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1801 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 12:31 PM

Let me know if any more questions.. Hard to read and respond to everything from a phone screen

#33 deerslayer

deerslayer

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1801 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 12:32 PM

More pictures later.. Ruben will be selling it..

#34 deerslayer

deerslayer

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1801 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 06:36 PM

Right side and comp... Barrel has a small "s" stamp on it...

Attached Files

#35 Grease Gunner

Grease Gunner

RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 157 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 07:02 PM

Pics of my actuator from 12020 

KhfkTa.jpg
l7UjKD.jpg
NAO4Qc.jpg
tj3kaj.jpg