Hi everyone, I am new to the world of Thompsons so I am not too knowledable but am wanting to learn. I see from various postings that 'American Thunder' is a great place to start but where do I get a copy? I see at the top of the page they are listed as sold out. I did an Ebay search and all I found was a book of a similar title on Garth Brooks!...

Anyway I have 2 Thompsons, both 1928A1's and both Savages. Both have Lyman battle sights, one has a smooth barrel(522### serial range), one finned(450### serial range) both have the Cutts Compensator. What type of finish should these guns have ? both are blued but I have seen many '28's with a parkerized finish?

I'll try to upload a few pick when I have worked out how to.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Welcome to the board.

It is unusual to be new to Thompsons and have two Savage guns; did you inherit them (everyone’s dream)?

The guns were originally blued from the factory, Parkerized at rebuild. It will be interesting to see them; sounds like a very nice pair indeed.

Thanks for that info PK. I was owed some money by the previous owner and took them on spec as payment.

After reading some other other threads on mismatched receivers and trigger groups, I found that the earlier one I have has an AO trigger group that has been re-numbered, the different shade to the finish between the two parts gives that away too.

I have some pictures of the guns but need somewhere to host them, I can email them to anyone that is interested.

Yes, a laurel, and hearty welcome!

When you say you "took" them as payment, you do of course mean they were transferred to you, right?

Hi sigma1, welcome to the boards and tell all of your friends who are interested in MG's and SMG's (particularly Thompsons), as this is the place to be for such people. Remember, safety and power in numbers! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif Regards, Walter

Nice to know that folks are still getting into this "hobby".....if you believe all you read nowadays, nobody can afford to start subgunning.....but it ain't true!!!

Welcome aboard!

john (another 28 owner...)