I hope I did not make a mistake

fartsalot

I never owned a MG before and my M50 is on hold with a dealer waiting for ATF to approve transfer to me somewhere around March or May that is the 8 to 10 month time line from my check was cashed.

When I take possession I want to have a smith put in new springs and a titanium firing pin and clean the internals and become familiar with it.

I made contact with a gentleman who had a M50 and was able to direct me to a smith that worked on his M50. What bothers me is the guy used his M50 for competitive shooting at Knob Creek but he was glad as heck to get rid of it. He said the internals were like a 22 rifle,, obviously he was not one to like the gun and its design etc etc.

Myself I just want it for pleasure/fun kind of a thing but his response has me wondering if I spent a lot of money on a white elephant or some item that will have constant problems and the like.

So my question boils down to what can I expect out of the gun.

They can have problems, but their problems can be solved. I would suggest shooting the gun first before you decide to replace the springs and firing pins. I have had those same parts sitting in a box for 14 years because I havent needed them.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

My first MG was a Reising.

I really wanted an M1A1 Thompson but the Reising was 1/4 the price of a TSMG.

As a Reising owner the most important quality you must possess is patients.

Each gun has its quirks.

For instance, The Marines demanded a 12 rd mag because they found the 20 rd mag undependable. Well I have 4 12 rd mags and none of them are dependable in my guns. On the other hand, the 20 and 30 rd mags are very dependable.(with a little tweaking on the feed lips.)

You mentioned taking your Reising to a gunsmith. I think you will find that 99% of the gunsmiths do not even know how to spell Reising, much less work on one. You must become a Reising gunsmith.

My M50 went quite a long time before the firing pin broke. By the time it broke, inertia firing pins were the recommended solution. So I shortened mine as directed. Result,---misfires due to weak hit on primers. So, I installed a new Wolfe hammer spring. Result,--strong primer hits, BUT bolt failed to recoil sufficiently to fire on Full Auto. Cure,-- shorten Wolfe spring.

I suggest you follow Davids advise to shoot the gun before making any changes. You might make things worse.

I think that Wolfe spring are made long to be custom shortened.

Hopefully you get the idea.

Does all this mean I don't like Reisings?? Hardly, I recently bought a second Reising, a M60. And it has broken a firing pin.

I was ready this time.

Congratulations on your Reising.

Jim C

I do not think you made a mistake . Reising is a great , reliable , accurate , well balanced and easy to control firearm . Very simple to clean and maintain too.

I think lot of times malfunctions were created by the owners by trying to 'improve " or replace the original internal parts with better and newer looking ones. Magazines do need to be tweaked some times.

Do not replace anything and shoot the gun first. I have had and still have plenty of the model 60 and 50/55 guns that i shoot without replacing or breaking anything. I hope you will have the same experience with yours.

BORE.

Thanks guys,,, I do feel better about my purchase/investment that I have made,, Your words are encouraging for sure. I don't think my 8 to 10 month wait will ever end LOL and March or May seems so far away. In January I made the purchase and my one year anniversary is about to come up. This is my first MG and something I have wanted for a long long time, so when I get the call to come and pick it up I will be like a kid in a toy factory. I do have this fear that something with the paper work is not right and I will half to back to square one and start over. If that happens I will feel like I will be dead from old age before I get the gun :angry2:

Congrats! My first was a Reising as well. You will not regret your purchase. The group here should be able to help diagnose anything. Also no worries, if your paperwork has issues, it can get corrected and it does not restart the clock. Usually just a few weeks delay when this happens. The wait is nerve racking, but its worth it in the end.

Ron

This early spring the truth will be known LOL Actually the dealer where it is held at has a range so I have visitation rights and can shoot it when I want. It will be more fun when I get it because my son n law has 300 AC farm land with creeks several ponds and timber. In the summer when we bail hay for cattle to feed in the winter, coyotes will get really close to the tractor for some reason and they will become a victim of Mr Reising,,, just too much fun out in the country with a MG.

Reising M50 owner for about 4 years - I sometimes love the gun and other days I hate it. I have broken firing pins, my ejector broke and I have a loose front receiver leg (part were the action bar makes contact). Sometimes my gun is a pleasure to shoot and it is a beautiful piece of firearm history. Then other times I realize why it is the lower end of SMG priced weapons.

I own a MAC 10 and often I wish I simply purchased a M11 vs my Reising. I believe your satisfaction with your gun will depend on the weapon itself. Some are better than others.

Lastly, I have attempted to compete in sub gun matches with my Reising. It has been able to finish but does not compete with Macs or Uzis. One range master said Oh a shitty Reising when I stepped up to the line.

I wish you the best. I hope your gun is a good one.

Edited by Dougsstockpile

I actually like my Reising. It is easy to work on. It is not complex. There are posts to help fix any issues you have on them. Like people say.. Shoot it first because you could introduce new issues by replacing parts. Much of the production of Reisings are hand fitted so replacing parts might cause issues.

One thing I suggest is to convert your firing pin to an inertia firing pin. This means the firing pin could never touch the primer when the "hammer" is forward. Due to original design, when the firing can touch both the firing pin and the hammer, this causes flexing and metal fatigue.. hence firing pins snapping.

Paul's post here is pretty awesome on fixing some issues.

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8854

• 2 weeks later...

Fart:

You have gotten a lot of good info here from experienced Reising shooters. I will tell you that I have never regretted buying my M50. It has always shot well and been dependable. Shooting your new gun first before making any changes is the way to go.

You will find that a lot of guys who have never owned or even fired a Reising are "experts" on the subject. I can't tell you how many guys have told me about what a lousy design it is and how the Marines dumped them all in the Matanikau River, blah blah blah. Most of these armchair experts are easily silenced with the question "OK, but have you ever shot one yourself?" A few will start backtracking while sputtering something about "Yeah, well I read about them somewhere and the article said they stink...."

You will draw your own conclusions and I suspect that you will find, as most of here have, that the Reising is a neat gun with a lot of history and is fun to shoot. That's a great combination.

Good luck.

Charlie

Fart:

You have gotten a lot of good info here from experienced Reising shooters. I will tell you that I have never regretted buying my M50. It has always shot well and been dependable. Shooting your new gun first before making any changes is the way to go.

You will find that a lot of guys who have never owned or even fired a Reising are "experts" on the subject. I can't tell you how many guys have told me about what a lousy design it is and how the Marines dumped them all in the Matanikau River, blah blah blah. Most of these armchair experts are easily silenced with the question "OK, but have you ever shot one yourself?" A few will start backtracking while sputtering something about "Yeah, well I read about them somewhere and the article said they stink...."

You will draw your own conclusions and I suspect that you will find, as most of here have, that the Reising is a neat gun with a lot of history and is fun to shoot. That's a great combination.

Good luck.

Charlie

Thanks for the encouragement and I have come to agree with what you point out. I have shot it at the range where the gun is in waiting and I found it to be a nice handling MG and very controllable. I found a Video showing how you dismantle it for cleaning, that looks simple and easy to do. Every day gets closer to my 8 to 10 month wait time coming up in March thru May. I paid the FFL on Jan 27 2021 and have been waiting ever since.

PM sent

Edited by fartsalot

Reisings have a poor reputation for a reason. If you have one that is reliable, count yourself fortunate. Our friend's Reising jams frequently, annoying us enough that we made this video.

I have already shot mine just as it came from the seller and no telling when it has been serviced. It runs my 30 and 20 mag empty each time after I burned up about 100 rounds,,, maybe I have been lucky,,, I know when it was a PD gun it was hardly ever shot during the years it was in the property room. .

Edited by fartsalot

Some Reising do have issues. However what was the issue, and can it be corrected? There are a number of examples of Reisings that run and others that jam. I've had issues with some 12rd H&R magazines, while other mags I did not experience the same jam. Sometimes it is the ammo it hates, other times there are actual design flaws that need to be fixed.

That reminds me that I need to mark my magazines to figure out which ones cause issues and work on them...

Reisings have a poor reputation for a reason. If you have one that is reliable, count yourself fortunate. Our friend's Reising jams frequently, annoying us enough that we made this video.

I have already shot mine just as it came from the seller and no telling when it has been serviced. It runs my 30 and 20 mag empty each time after I burned up about 100 rounds,,, maybe I have been lucky,,, I know when it was a PD gun it was hardly ever shot during the years it was in the property room. .

Reising rule: you should pull the action bar slightly to the rear when moving the selector switch. Otherwise you can bend a part.

Reising rule: you should pull the action bar slightly to the rear when moving the selector switch. Otherwise you can bend a part.

I had no idea about that,,, thank you very much I will make that my standard procedure

That reminds me about something else about taking the tension off the hammer or something when in storage,,, there was something mentioned somewhere that I read,,, any idea what ?.

I tell you.. I learn something new every day.. I just flip it and had no issues, but I rarely adjust the selector switch.

So my experience has been that when it runs, it is a blast. Mine has eaten many hammer springs. There were two types of end caps, a 1 piece and a 2 piece. Mine came with the 1 piece. I have changed it to the 2 piece and have not yet been to the range to try it out but I am hoping that will finally fix the problem.

They are not hard to work upon and there is a lot of good support here on the forum. Parts seem to be plentiful with the exception of mags.

• 3 weeks later...