The Thompson Vintage Board Games

Guys, I propose a topic to post Board Games with Tommy Guns !

( I didn't find any topic on that, I think it could be funny and distracting to reference them )

Here "Le Jeu du Parrain", 1971, French version of "The Godfather Game"

Standard box (20" x 10,5"), and Violin box (23,5" x 10")

IMG_1937.JPG IMG_1932.JPG IMG_1934.JPG IMG_1939.JPG

Ha! May be a tall order mon frere, but it does sound like a fun quest. I think there was a Combat! board game years ago with a drawing of Vic Morrow on the box firing his Thompson. Anybody else remember that?

Ha! May be a tall order mon frere, but it does sound like a fun quest. I think there was a Combat! board game years ago with a drawing of Vic Morrow on the box firing his Thompson. Anybody else remember that?

this one ? "Ideal",1963

ideal boardgame.pngideal2.jpg

I have noticed that there are numerous versions of the classic Monoply game out there.

The financial woes of the Auto Ordnance Corporation would provide a Thompson gun version of that game!

1. John T. Thompson decided to design a lightweight automatic rifle
  2. Agreement struck between them J.T. Thompson and John Bell Blish
  3. Thomas F. Ryan provides financial backing
  4. 1916 Auto-Ordnance Corporation, (AOC) founded.
  5. Limits of the “Blish principle” were discovered
  6. Rethink and planning leads to “A one-man, hand-held machine gun, a trench broom!” idea
  7. End of WW1, JT Thompson missed target audience for the 'Trench Broom'
  8. 1919 development phase begins
  9. Issues with feeding system, emptying Box mags too quickly
  10. Oscar V. Payne files patent for the 100-round ‘C’ and 50-round ‘L’ drums
  11. Marketing began at Camp Perry Ohio August 1920
  12. Contract awarded to Colt Patent Firearms Manufacturing Company for the Model of 1921
  13. First Model of 1921s off the assembly lines 31st March 1921, indeed 98 years today!
  14. Seizure of TSMGs on the SS East Side
  15. European sales tour results in minimal sales / interest
  16. "On the side of law and order" development of Peters-Thompson Shot cartridge and magazine
  17. USMC purchase for Mail guarding
  18. USMC use in Nicaragua
  19. Use of TSMG by gangsters / criminals, gives bad publicity
  20. 1926 Cutts compensator option introduced
  21. Model of 1927
  22. USMC deploy to Shanghai with TSMG
  23. US Navy purchase 100 for gunboats, patrolling the Yangtze River.
  24. US Navy request rate of fire could reduced to 600 rounds per their minute, as Model of 1921 rate of fire is too quick for their requirements
  25. Oscar V. Payne comes up with solution and US Navy Model of 1928 introduced
  26. 1929 AOC on brink of bankruptcy only 1/3 of the 1500 model of 1921s sold & 2 million dollars in debt
  27. St Valentines day Massacre bad publicity
  28. 1930, the new AOC President, Walter B Ryan Jr, announced the suspension of all commercial sales.
  29. 1932, US Army standardized Thompson guns as, “non-essential limited procurement”
  30. Commercial sales resumed in 1932, when AOC appointed Federal Laboratories of Pittsburgh, Pa., as their exclusive distributor.
  31. 1932, the Soviet Union placed an order for 8,000 Thompson guns, but the US Government opposed the deal
  32. National Firearms Act of 1934
  33. 1935 FBI Place first order for TSMGs
  34. 1936, Japan placed an order for 3,000 Thompson guns, but this order was opposed by the US Govt.
  35. Russel McGuire take over of AOC, (positive or negative?)
  36. US Army order 950 TSMGs
  37. WW2 French order 3,000 TSMG’s
  38. Swedish order of TSMGs
  39. Colt decline to accept contract to manufacture Model of 1928’s for AOC
  40. AOC sign contract with the Savage Arms Corporation in December 1939 to manufacture the Model of 1928's
  41. British orders begin
  42. Dutch Order 1940
  43. Lend-lease 1941
  44. AOC Bridgeport plant opened
  45. M1 / M1A1 development begins
  46. Delay in production at AOC Bridgeport caused during changing over from M1928A1 to M1 production

You get the idea?

Stay safe

Richard

Edited by rpbcps

this one ? "Ideal",1963

attachicon.gif ideal boardgame.pngattachicon.gif ideal2.jpg

A board game reminiscent of my childhood, played when we weren't outside using tree branches as rifles and pine cones as grenades. Today's college "students" would point at it with eyes clenched tight yelling "No hate speech!!" followed by a lecture on toxic masculinity. :slap:

• 1 month later...

this one ? "Ideal",1963

attachicon.gif ideal boardgame.pngattachicon.gif ideal2.jpg

A board game reminiscent of my childhood, played when we weren't outside using tree branches as rifles and pine cones as grenades. Today's college "students" would point at it with eyes clenched tight yelling "No hate speech!!" followed by a lecture on toxic masculinity. :slap:

Almost. They would sit somewhere, not looking at each other, and silently tap away at their screens. The social circle of the Cellphonellium Generation.

Edited by mnshooter