My First Thompson

I bought a 1921AC a few months ago. It was on a Form 4, so had to go to my SOT. Once it gets there, I'll do the pw to transfer to me. My other mg's took 11 months; suspect this will be the same. My SOT lets me fire my pending transfer guns on their range. Did so with my S & W 76 (which ran well), and my Reising M50 (multiple stoppages).

Want to shoot the Thompson as well. Will it feed from a WW2 drum? How about a Kahr C drum? Forgive me for asking if this is covered in FAQ; I'm new to Thompsons and this board. I'll soon join collector groups and learn more about this fascinating firearm (which has been on my bucket list since 1965).

Welcome and yes, a 1921AC can use WWII drums and also Kahr drums. I don't have a Kahr drum, but apparently some work fine and others do not.

Many have had better results with the Taiwan-made C drums sold currently by several vendors such as Numrich Arms. They have new L drums as well.

Do you know about C&R FFLs? They are simple and inexpensive to obtain and can save several months (and a dealer fee) in a transfer. A C&R holder can receive a C&R firearm (all three smgs you mention are usually C&R if the Form 4 still lists the original manufacturer) directly from a Transferor, even one who is out of state.

Consider getting The Ultimate Thompson Book and American Thunder, really good books.

Hope you get your Reising working properly.

I use a trust, but i use my C&R to get it to me quicker, then transfer it to my trust....with the new Efile system it doesnt save that much time if its on a form 3 at a dealer already...they are typically about a 10 day transfer to your dealer.....a C&R takes 4-6 weeks to get, costs almost nothing and could have gotten the gun in your hands quicker...if you collect ww2 pistols you can also get the guns shipped direct to your house and save dealer fees....1 transfer of a handgun and you paid for your C&R

current waits are 7 months and have been for a bit....the silencerco free suppressor deal will probably jack up the months dramatically again soon

congrats on the VERY cool gun....

nice ww2 drums are around $500...ive recently picked up a shooter grade Seymour for $250....so keep that in mine when deciding whether to buy modern/after market drums....ww2 drums arent that high priced yet and will never be worth less $$...while the after markets probably wont increase in value and have no history.

post some pics!!!

Edited by huggytree

The C&R will allow the seller to send the gun directly to you only when the 7 month wait is over and you get the stamp.If you want to fiddle with the gun and shoot it at your local range then you will need to still do a double transfer to get it to your local sot first then do the transfer to you.

My 1921AC serial # is 9193. The seller was kind enough to send me a copy of the Columbiana, OH comissioners authorizing the purchase of this Thomson for $200 plus $10 for three 20 rnd mags, and $38.50 for 1000 founds of ammunition. (it was bought after Pretty Boy Floyd was killed nearby).I shall reapply at once. At one time I had an 03 FFL but let it lapse after getting an 01 FFL. This was before affording any NFA mg was unthinkable. I

Update: My SOT says the '21 is in. Since my last NFL buy a year ago, the system has changed. Everything is done online through SilencerShop through a kiosk. Prints taken electronically (had trouble with mine). Their Web site was down (at 11:30 AM on Wedensday!), so the process isn't finished. Nobody would say if this speeds up the processing time; the best they offer is that future NFA buys won't require putting in all my info from now on. (I'm not comfortable putting information into computers for many reasons; hacking, misidentification, data theft, etc), but wasn't given an option.

The gun is in very good shape. I'd post pictured taken with my phone (camera crapped out), but they aren't very good and I don't know how to post anyway. Fired 80 rounds from a 30 stick and 50 rnd Crosby drum. Had a few failures in semi, none in FA. One could feel the history: I've long been interested in the 30's gangster era, seen untold movies, its an eerie feeling being behind a 21. Heard it said before: there's NFA and there's everything else.

Cool! Now your quest for the history of that gun starts. As soon as you have it, do a FOIA submission to see what information that may turn up. Then enjoy the chase!

I did the silencer Shop thing last year with 2 guns. I had finger print issues too. The silencer Shop system does not save time imo. From the time i filled out the info and signed the doc there was almost a month when i received an email my $200 was received by the ATF. No thx i wont use them again. The last few transfers i did were the normal manual paperwork mailed overnite USPS and my check was cashed several days later.

If you want to post some pics email them to me and i will put them up on this thread. vdifabbio@fullerpetro.com

Vin

Anytime your filling out anything online it's safe to assume there is a 3rd party (or lots more) capturing and archiving that information. Even when you use the fillable forms on atf's website, you still got there often through a browser, assume your personal info is captured. Going old school, printing out the forms, filling them in, and mailing them in is worry free. I do it without the tinfoil hat on. Would I put it past the silencershop to capture your form 4 info......I would assume they do, the only question is whether they sell the info and to whom? And when they were hacked?

Just got some form 4 approvals......a mere 15 months. Good to see some new NFA owners!!!