Identifying Colt Manufactured Drums

I have several drums that I believe are either variety 1 or variety 2 "magurie" drums as identified in the Tracy Hill book....but in several postings there is reference to perhaps some of these drums being possibly late versions of colt drums. how do I tell the difference??? These have no serial numbers and no "No." markings.

I saw some reference to the placement of the lettering on some part of the face plate or back plate....can someone who knows help me out here?

Also, what should the finish of the rotor be, blued or nickled, on these drums.

thanks

hughlong,

Here's the link to the posting you talked about. Look at Murray's responses, he's got it down. Tracy Hills book has some pictures mixed around. I've since recieved a copy of Doug Richardsons drum book and it is very straight forward and to the point.

link

If you have any interest in Thompson drums Doug Richardson's book is a must. There are diagrams of each drum, how marked and history.

Well...thanks for the help in identifying my 3 L drums ...the link was informative, especially the information from Murray..... Turns out I have one Worchester " Maguire " 1st variety drum with a blued rotor...and ....wow...2 colt nickled rotor late drums with the "c" of the "cal." underneath the middle of the "ch" in "Machinegun".

Will order the richardson book to have as a reference....

thanks for the information. It's always nice to find out something is better than I thought it was.

anyone got a matching numbered colt L drum for sale or a "No." drum for sale???

I am glad my information was some help, but full credit must go to Doug Richardson and I agree with the comments about his Drum book.

The stick mag book is equally interesting to.

I beleive Doug is away in Belize at the moment but I know he will return soon.

Best of luck. Sounds like you have some nice drums there.

Regards

Murray.