Wtk: Tips To Keep An M1 Running

I am in the process of buying a transferrable Bridgeport M1 that's all original, although it is an arsenal re-work. I am buying this as a shooter and would like any advice on what spare parts I should stock up on. I will only be shooting good quality, factory loaded ammo through it. Any thoughts?

Also, what is the general opinon on the Wolff recoil springs for Thompsons? I'd feel more comfortable on firing the Thompson with a recoil spring that I know to be new and un-used, rather than one thats 60+ years old and has who knows how many rounds on it. But perhaps I'm being paranoid.

Thanks very much in advance for any advice you can give.

--Will

willgreenlee@yahoo.com

Merry Ploughboy:

Thanks for the advice. Just curious though, what safety aspects does the M1 bolt add? I realize the M1 bolt has the fixed firing pin, while the M1A1's firing pin isn't fixed, but can you be a little more specific for me in how the M1 bolt makes the gun safer? Other than swapping the bolts out, is there anything else that needs to be done to get an M1 running with the M1A1 bolt?

I am reading "American Thunder," but haven't made it all the way through yet. This is my first Thompson -- I have fired a variety of other CIII weapons, i.e. MP5, Uzi, M-16, Swedish K, but have never owned a Thompson. Thanks again for your help!

--Will

I would get a complete parts kit from Omega systems for $450 while the price is low. As for ammo I shoot commercial reloads in either fmj or the copper coated lead. I would stay away from the Wolf steel case ammo as it is hard on the ejector and extractor. In my opinion saving a dollar a box on ammo is not what should be done with a 15k plus firearm. A high volume us commercial reloader has insurance in case these thing happed while I doubt a law suit against a Russian company would go far. Just my .02. My Bridgeport gun runs great and I am sur you will love it.

Congrats on the gun. I would recommend getting a recoil spring from Phil Askew here on the board. They hardly ever wear out but they are cheap. So are the springs. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif The M1 has the floating firing pin as the M1A1 has the fixed/milled pin in the bolt. You should always get a couple sets of wood. One to shoot with and then a nice set for a display. If your gun is the M1A1, get a M1 bolt from Phil or Sarco or Numrich gun parts. The you could get a parts kit as mentioned before and then you would have any lower parts that may wear out in time. Just start picking up any part for it you can find as I did and you won't have to worry. You'll love shooting the gun as I do mine. Lots of fun.

Oh yea, get the American Thunder books from Frank Iannamico on the board here. Very informative and well worth the 30 bucks.

I would not worry about 60 yr old parts, they were made at a time when quality was at the utmost. Most recently made parts are only made to sell, profit first, quality last. The original parts are far better quality than the crap made today. The springs made by Wolf are quality, as good as original, the crap made by kahr sucks.

Will,

More specifically on the safety of the M1 bolt v. M1A1 bolt. Speaking from what I have read not personal experience, the hammer actuated firing pin of the M1 bolt helps ensure that the gun will not fire with a cartridge out of battery as can happen with the fixed firing pin M1A1 bolt. Firing out of battery can result in a blown apart cartridge case and shrapnel which generally is disconcerting to the shooter and those to the shooter's immediate right. The good news is, there is generally little if any damage to the Thompson.

Others can, perhaps, relate actual not vicarious reports.

The gun you are purchasing may have either bolt as it is a rebuild. If it has the M1 bolt, fire away! If it has the M1A1 bolt, the replacement M1 bolts with internal parts run about $100 from any of the vendors noted.

As before, congratulations and enjoy!

MP

QUOTE (full auto 45 @ Jan 20 2005, 05:22 PM)

Oh yea, get the American Thunder books from Frank Iannamico on the board here. Very informative and well worth the 30 bucks.

Might have to wait, Frank says they're sold out right now, but he has the press rolling again it sounds like... Sounds like he already has ATI... Just have to put down money get in line for ATII....

CongratZ on your purchase btw..... It sounds like F-U-N fun, fun, fun......