What Does Everyone Use For Tsmg Lube?

Jist finishing up cleaning / lubing a few M16 uppers and a couple subguns, was thinking what everyone uses for lube on their TSMG?

Wondering if something a little heavier than CLP or Ballistioil (*sp?) is appropate (I tend to use either on the modern guns ... in part as called for in HK Tech Manual ... plus use a little heavier 20mm cannon oil with the CLP on the high pressure / moving parts).

Is Clenzoil heavier than the milky oil used by the military on M-16s?

Hoppes Number 9 is a good follow up for corrosive ammo, AFTER you have cleaned properly for corrosive ammo. Unless you use either hot soapy water or a blackpowder cleaner to get rid of the potassium clorate salts, all hoppes #9 will do is cover up the corrosive salts and the problem is still there. This can lead to corrosion even if the bore is oiled as the salts are still in the barrel which are hydroscopic in nature that will pull even the slightest humidity in the air to it, to start the corrosion process. My routine for cleaning corrosive ammo out of any gun:

1. Scrub with a copper wire brush, the bore, exposed surfaces, disassembled magazines and the compensator with hot soapy water (Dawn dishwashing soap)

2. Rinse with very hot water and dry with a hairdryer.

3. Clean the bore with GI bore cleaner and swab dry

4. Clean the bore and other areas with Shooter's Choice and dry with clean patches, in the action blow out with gunscrubber.

5. Re-oil all parts with CLP and light grease on the bolt.

This way you will never get any corrosion when using corrosive ammo.

Thanks for inputs for everyone so far.

This is starting to look interesting, looking foward to the thread when get back from shooting (sorry to say not the M1 as my SOT could not make the shoot ... nor anyone else with a TSMG).

For general cleaning still like Hoppies #9 (Shooters Choice if primary the bore of bolt guns) followed by large amounts of solvent to flush (mineral spirts by the gallon or gunscrubber/NAPA brake cleaner (same chemical if you pick the correct brake cleaner at quarter the price).

Hoppes #9 has a wonderful smell that always brings you back to that long ago hunt with you favorite dog, buddy,father ,son....it`s amazing how that works...even after I use the ultrasonic cleaner and the gun comes out surgically clean, I still have to run some Hoppes #9 thru it and then lube it up with various lubricants depending on the gun. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

I use the old GI grease, Lubriplate and it seems to work great. I used to use Hoppe's oil on everything until I bought the Thompson. I don't like the way the oil flies when I'm on full auto with my Thompson so I tried using the grease and it seems to stick much better so I use it on all of my rifles now instead of buying different lubes. I use Breakfree on the Cutts to help keep down the build-up and it does a decent job.

Use your favorite and clean until your patch is spotless - then run a patched soaked with clenzoil thru the bore and watch what comes out - a black filthy patch. Try it once and you will never regret it. C.L.P. (Cleaner, Lubricant, Protector). My .02

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif Yeah 21 smoker Hoppe's scent is like a-la-perfume to me, together with burning hay, gun-powder smoke and diesel smoke http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif ...

I carry a 50/50 mix of alcohol & ammonia to the range, and while the barrel is still warm, clean with this solution first, then with all other regular bore cleaners, ie, after shooting WWII 45 surplus...... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif

I constantly shoot old mil/surp in my 98ks, and treat them the same for cleaning............jw

I use Clenzoil for lube, as far as cleaning I am thinking of ordering some WIPE-OUT ™, which may have been mentioned here earlier. As a cleaner, nothing else is supposed to come close as it removes powder, lead fouling, carbon, molybdenum all without harming the metal. I am tired of running 30 patches through my Thompson barrel with conventional cleaners and still not getting it perfectly clean. I would like to hear from anyone who has tried this product and what they think of it? http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

Mike Hammer

This year on the rifles, have been also flushing the bore with solvent after bushing with Hoppies #9 or Shooter's choice. Works a lot better than a dozen patches (have to oil again and/or put down another layer of Hoppies #9).

Like the grease on teh bolt, will have to check the tech manual (when I get it) and see what is listed.

I've used military CLP in my subguns for years....very little visible wear and lotsa corrosive GI ammo with no pitting or rust ever.

BUT with all you folks using Clenzoil, I'll have to give it a try. Does it taste better than CLP??? (I don't know about the rest of you but I always overoil and the 28 pumps it out the buffer pilot hole in a fine mist for the first 60 rounds or so....Breakfree tastes AWFUL!!!) http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif

I don't know if I'm better off overoiling or should maybe cut back a bit??

john

QUOTE (hawksnest @ Sep 13 2004, 08:48 PM)
John: Clean it with CLP until the patch thru the bore is spotless then run a patch soaked with Clenzoil thru it and post the results.

While I like the CLP for emergency field cleaning (at lot of dirty guns, will start running ok with a few shots from the CLP spray can kept in the tool bag), for cleaning at home I like the standards Hoppies #9 (Shooter's Choice for over 2000 fps fire arms) and then flush with lots of solvent.

Will have to get a container of Clenzoil to try.