Is a FG42 really work $300,000?

maxfaxdude

How much is a mint condition Babe Ruth trading card worth? I would not pay more than 5 dollars, have no interest, but think to a collector, they would pay big bucks. Same with the FG42, it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I would love to own one but not at 300k or even 50k....well maybe at 50k :)

A bit of perspective that may be of interest. In the year pre-COVID I reactivated a type 1 "E" FG in very good condition for which the owner paid about $245k with the buyer's premium. A couple years before I had a type 2 in for reactivation that was purchased for a little over $200k.
The listing of known FGs of all types in Dugelby/Stevens book, as of 2007, indicates that there are 32 early and Type 1 "E" FGs in the US, 29 of which are in private hands, so are registered. The others are in well known US museums and the registration status is unknown. By the listing, about two thirds of the known FGs are Type 1's.
About 46 Type 2 FGs are in the US with 32 listed as being privately owned, thus registered, with the remaining examples in museums and unknown registration status.
So, according to the book, approximately 61 FGs are known to be in the NFRTR with a few more turning up in the intervening years in the US whose numbers are not listed in the book.
Most MGs in the NFRTR are represented by many more examples so, in my view, the FGs would be considered scarce and unlike many MGs there is a reasonably accurate accounting of their numbers in the registry.
By market valuations, German MGs are by far the most popular, so scarcity adds a very significant premium to their value regardless of their known or assumed quantities available as transferable. Some MGs that are as or more scarce in the NFRTR, but are much less popular, don't get much of a boost in value.
No doubt some post-May examples will be converted from the semi-auto versions available, but FG kits are exceedingly scarce as well as expensive when one shows up.
Hope this helps.....

Edited by BRMCII

I will add to bubba's perspective:

FGs were extremely rare captures during WWII. Almost all snagged by ground pounders were taken away by Command Officers

this was at least true within US as well as Commonwealth command structure

and there were about no commercially done dewats of them either in the 50s/60s

Never the less a fair number of live guns were brought in by various means and were never registered during the 68' Amnesty.

I have an extremely nice type 1 "kit"

I saw cut the receiver many years ago, a widow turned it in to a cop shop in the 80s, full rig...mags, even scope and mount.

Understand that even in the late 70s forward there were buyers advertising in Shotgun News wanting to buy FG mags

their willing to pay price was a GRAND a Magazine!

yeah, I sold off most of the extra mags, that alone paid my investment and then some

made another close to 6K on the scope and mount around 88'

So what's a single saw cut type 1 worth today ?

turned down a 60K offer some 20 years ago with 2 extra mags, guy wanted it for spares on his own type II

FGs are top of the curve

there still are a few examples in Canada too,all type II guns that have been deactivated, might be a few live ones as well though but never seen one in the wild

was offered a type II deac FG late 90s in Manitoba...7K funny money

no mag, spray painted, everything welded solid as a 2nd gen canuck deac, hard pass...very little to even salvage

Ok, guys relax, the moderators will deal with this.

Now that the train wreck has been cleared please from this point forward let's try to stay on topic.

Did I miss something?

Please do not try to get it stirred up again.

• 2 months later...