Where Did You Find Your Thompson?

I bought my WH M1 off of GunsAmerica last year. It was owned by an older gentleman in another state who had mistakenly listed it on the "Any Other Weapons" portion of the Class III section. It was mint, for $7,200. I contacted a Class III dealer nearby (Dallas- Ft. Worth), who shall be known as "Dealer #1." No. 1 couldn't communicate with the seller very well, and they both got very frustrated with each other, and went round & round. I finally told no. 1 that this just wasn't working. It wasn't his fault, the seller was hard to deal with...

I went to a second Class III dealer in the area (Dealer #2), a husband and wife team, and I asked them to see if they could communicate with the seller. The wife was able to work with him, and hold him by the hand so we could initiate the transfers. In meantime Dealer #2 told me that they were among several local Class III's bidding on a mint WH 28, with an FBI case, three sticks, and a 39 rnd. drum. It was part of an estate in Wichita Falls Texas. They bid about $6,800, and they lost. No. 1 outbid them.

I called no. 1, and he said he had bid $7k, but felt like he owed me a favor after lettng me down with the M1 transfer. He sold the whole kit & kaboodle to me for $7,400. And of course, the 28 transfered months before the M1.

Bought mine from a friend, who is also a Postal Worker (BWaaaaahahahahaha!!!)......

Early US1928A1 Bridgeport, S/N 519XX

4 grand in 1999 seemed really outrageous to my wife, but not now!!

john http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

I found my Savage 28 by coincidence. I was searching the web for various dealers checking out the prices and I happened on a dealer who had a rewat. turns out he is a local dealer. I called him up and stopped by to look at it. I test-fired it and shook on it. i am going over tomorrow to take pics and drop money off.

dunno yet though, if i am keeping it or trading for a M1/M1A1.

Savage baby, Savage all the way!!! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif Regards, Walter

I was in the right place at the right time for once in my life, me and a friend bought two Colt Navy Overstamps and two M-3's from a S.O. BTW the Colts were, according to Tracie's book originally shipped to this department.

I have to consider my M1928A1 as a pretty good deal.

When a good friend decided to retire from his business as a gun dealer, he decided to sell his Thompson as well. He thought of me first. I had never even held a Thompson but was interested in buying, as it is a very nice gun.

I offered him $2,500, just to get an offer in. He said he would get back to me. He finally fixed the price by going to the Gun List and the Shotgun News and looking for prices on nice West Hurley M1928 guns. He asked for $5,500 and I agreed to pay it, after he explained his thinking. This was eight years ago. As it was a intra-state transfer, no dealer was involved.

It was only after taking possession of the gun that I realized that it is a USGI WWII M1928A1, inspector and ordnance bomb marked, in original, unissued condition, and with matching serials. It has the NAC serial suffix that confused both of us and saved me some money.

It is the center piece of my WWII collection!

WOW!!! Some really great stories...... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif I'm still working on mine.. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif

Someday I'll be rockin and rollin Thompson style...http://www.inverteddungeon.com/Images/Emotes/Special/gun1.gif

1990 Sent a high volume out of state dealer $100 to grab the next Thompson (didn't care what kind) that came through his doors and hold it for me. I'm sure he let a lot go to regular customers before I got one. Several months later when I called him for a status, he said had one for me, a Savage M1A1.

1999 Saw an ad in SGN or on Subguns or StG for a couple of Thompsons for sale or trade for transferable AK's. Didn't have an AK to trade, but I did have a spare ratty ol' MP5 that I didn't need. Called the guy and he said no thanks. He called me back a few days later and said his partner wanted one. Sent the gun and a few bucks and received a beauty Colt Thompson.

I don't actively advertise, but the word is out there that I have an interest. Gotten a few really good "off the internet" word of mouth sales. People know what they are worth, but don't have to squeak every last penny out of them. They are happy they are going somewhere they are appreciated and don't have to deal with selling to a stranger or out of state, etc. When I've gone to sell, I don't try to squeak out every penny either.

I've gotten a few good on the internet deals too. Right place, right time, money in hand, and the ability to trust the seller and say "I'll take it, money is on way" when there is a line of people wanting that same item.

I hope to receive my '28 Navy by the first part of June unless there's a paperwork screwup.

Originally, I was considering acquiring a '28 Navy from a dealer in Alabama. He was asking 20K and said the gun was 95%. I received email photos of the gun and they looked good, except for some discoloration on the right side of the receiver. I asked if the right side of the receiver was pitted and was told no.

I have a friend in McAllen, Texas, who is a Class III dealer. He was aware of my interest in buying a '28 Navy (and he also had one that he did not want to part with). I forwarded the photos to my McAllen dealer/friend and he called the dealer as well as the owner of the gun and asked a lot of questions on my behalf (at no cost to me). My friend told me that he believed that the gun may be a good buy, BUT for 20K I needed to go look at it before making a formal offer (I also got some similar advise from some of the people on this board -- Arthur, colt21A, gigive, thanks guys).

Before I went to Alabama, the McAllen dealer drove 4 1/2 hours from McAllen to a place east of San Antonio where I met him. He brought his '28 Navy that was not on the market at the time, and he disassembled it and showed me what to look for and we shot a few hundred rounds through it. Anyway, I bought an airline ticket and went to see the Alabama gun in late January. The gun did not have any pitting, but the right side of the receiver's finish was pretty worn due to what looked like contact wear. I passed on the gun -- the best $500 I ever spent was for the air fare!

I returned to Texas and shared the info with my McAllen dealer, and he said that one of my liking would turn up eventually. In February my McAllen dealer and I were trading emails and, on impluse, I made him an offer for his '28 Navy. About three days later he accepted my offer! I just about fell out of my chair! He sent me the Form 4 and talked me through the transferee's portion of the paperwork. I mailed the Form 4 and $200 to Chicago on February 12 -- now I'm just waiting.

My initial inclination was to purchase a gun from out-of-state to avoid the Texas sales taxes, which can be significant. In the end I have found that, for me, it's far better to deal with someone I know and have confidence in. Someone who will go out of their way to help you, someone who will let you shoot the gun, someone who will tear it down for an inspection, etc., etc.

Since then, my dealer has been up in this area several times and has brouht with him: an M16A1 w/.22 conversion, MP40, Ruger .223, Korean PPSH, and a couple of suppressed guns. I fired them all and we've had a lot of fun enjoying a shared sport. Bottom line for me is: support your friends and don't worry about the taxes!