Another addition to my Dillinger/Tucson collection

The upright one is the one I meant; note the muzzle on the Colt Woodsman, I think this is the mount for the suppressor.

I've read an article from 1925 that reported that gangs in New York would use suppressors to practise indoors without anyone noticing. That makes sense. I note that this arsenal was found in New York, and I have a photo from another New York gang that depicts even more suppressors.

Cheers

HANS

Yes, I see now. Interesting . I guess they couldn't go out in the Texas or Indiana countryside and practice in New York city. Never thought of that bank robbers practicing with suppressors at an indoor range. What a group.

Like the Pace Salsa ad, " it says it's made in New York city...NEW YORK CITY ! "

David-

Easy to find and relative cheap. Most pictured in the outlaw world, seem to be the take down models.

You're gaining fast, with the acquisition of the Winchester 07.

Soon you can join the John Dillinger Died for You Society, and get your JDDFY card from Helmer or me as the archivists . A rare honor.

Dammit...Now I have to start looking at Savage 99's...

David

They run anywhere from $300 to Unfathomable amounts .

Around here $400-500 is the norm , takedown or standard. Never see fancy or deluxe A/B , Rival/Monarch grades anywhere.

Edited by StooperZero

The one I have, is the G model . It's a 1933 gun, same as pictured in Tucson. A&B are solid frame, no pistol grip.

The G model is a takedown only, shotgun butt, full pistol grip checkered stock, forearm and checkered trigger. The short 22" barrel. Available in 22 high power, Savage 303, Winchester-Savage 30-30 or Savage 250-3000. .303 was only caliber available in all Savage 99s, being the most popular, then. $49

The other Savaged pictured in Tucson, is the 99 H. Solid frame with carbine type stock, adjustable Semi-Buckhorn rear sight, solid rubbed finish, 20" barrel.

Available in Winchester-Savage 30-30, Savage 250-3000 and Savage 303. $37.

No, not a Savage 99 expert, I'm reading this right off an original 1933 Savage Retail Price List I have, with all models offered in 1933 & Savage house ammo.

So, if your searching for the correct Dillinger Savage at Tucson, you need a model G or model H.

I researched the serial number of mine to get a 1933 model ( lucky) and the G model as pictured in Tucson.

If anyone needs Savage info from my 1933 Sales book list , just ask.

I'm assuming this is a moot point on the Thompson forum, but .......

Hacksaw is correct on the prices, all about condition on these old gals.

OCM

Sandy,

What was the preferred Model 99 caliber used by the lawmen & outlaws in the 1930's?

Darryl

I can't say. But the Savage 303 was the most common house brand and could be used in ALL the 99s, for that reason only. Savage had a crap load of different calibers, like close to 15 I think.

The most common denominator, seems to be the takedown models, I'm sure for transportation reasons.

Again, no expert on these, just learning thru research and geeky insanity.

Very well made weapons. The wood is numbered to the rifle. The internal rotary magazine is interesting.

Guy named Hickock 45 on YouTube does a lot of guns , has a program out on the Savage 99 if real interested. YouTube Savage 99.

Don't know how many cops used them, usually they went for the Winchester 07 it seems, semi-auto a good edge in cops & robber combat.

StopperZero probably knows more on these.

S

Speaking of rifles, in a similar (but different vein), what type does Melvin Pervis (Christian Bale) use to take down Pretty Boy Floyd (Channing Tatum) in the apple orchard, at the beginning of the historically bogus 2009 Depp movie, Public Enemies?

Rob

Edited by ghostsoldier

.303 Savage or .250-300/250-3000/.250 savage would be preferred . an 87gr bullet going over 3000FPS would make short work of mostly anything.

lots of chamberings, 30-30, Newtons .22HP , 25-35, 32-40 and 38-55 .

you wont see common calibers until Post WW2.

Rob,

It looked like a Mannlicher-Schoenauer with a double set trigger.

In real life I think he used a Nickel plated 45 at point blank range as Pretty Boy lay wounded and helpless on the ground having been shot by deputy Chester Smith.

Jim C

Thanks for the info, Jim. Yeah, I remember watching that unfold, and thinking, "That's not how that happened." I guess Hollywood was trying to polish up Purvis' reputation a bit. :)

Rob

There is a web page listing all the guns in Pubic, I'm sorry, Public Enemies . It has the scene and the gun. I don't remember.

Thanks Hacksaw, cleared that up quick- .303 was the early military round that didn't take off for Savage. Cops way out gunned again. Way out gunned. Holy crap.

BTW, I like the idea of a Thompson grip on a Rem 81 aka Lebman style, other then Mr. Dillinger was pushing up daisies in 1936.

Yes, Jim C., they were in Tucson on vacation, when the Savages were recovered, never thought they may of been on a hunting trip. No other reason I can see. Shooting jackrabbits with Thompsons maybe...

Some new photos of the 99..... just cause.

DSCN8168.JPG

DSCN8169.JPG

DSCN8172.JPG

Edited by OCM
  • Upvote 1

Speaking of rifles, in a similar (but different vein), what type does Melvin Pervis (Christian Bale) use to take down Pretty Boy Floyd (Channing Tatum) in the apple orchard, at the beginning of the historically bogus 2009 Depp movie, Public Enemies?

Rob

According to IMFDB, it was a Mauser 98 Sporter...

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Public_Enemies

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Yes and a Racine robbery car that should of looked ( exactly) like this... not a 36 model.

I've talked many times to the hostage they took( now deceased ) . They did ask me if my car was available for the movie-

NOT.

33 Black Best.JPG

Thanks-

They packed it pretty full , after making the withdrawal , at the Racine bank in 33. Good story about it, in the Pinkston book. I have a real good file about the robbery, that goes with the car. Dillinger, as usual, just slowly drove out of town like nothing happened , like going for ice cream. This was according to hostage, Ursula Patkze. A job well done I guess.

Imagine 4 people in the back seat, one in the jump seat, other jump seat folded down in the floor with bags of money on it, Dillinger & Markley up front with Thompsons.... insane.

DSCN3239.JPG

I looked at a Savage Model 99H at my local Cabela's today. It was in .22 Hi Power caliber. They wanted 799.99 for it, minus 10%, since all their used guns are currently on sale. I know I see them regularly at OCGA, and will keep an eye out for a bargain. One of these will end up in the collection sometime...

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

99H would be pretty nice in 30-30, very possibly that's ( caliber) was what was sitting to the right in the photo. Most likely these came with the Pierpont group from Florida, however JD had a new 38Super from Wolf & Klar and one of them had to have done a deal with Lebman probably.

Maybe they came from Wolf & Klar via the trip to Tucson . Lot of ??? with these mobile outlaws.

Good luck, I don't think you'll have a problem finding a good Savage 99, just ask Teddy Roosevelt. ( his favorite gun ) .

800 seems high, BUT it is Cabela's . I'd imagine you can get a good G or H for 500-700 in one of the bigger calibers, .303, .300 etc.

Myself, I want a small bruise on my shoulder after 10 rounds with a steel butt plate 303 Savage. John would want it that way, Haaaaaaaaa

They had 9 models offered as a 99 in 1933. Lot of competition I guess.

OCM

Edited by OCM
  • Upvote 1