"thompson Greed"will Live On Forever...

after all the hype lately,n.r.a.thing. tommygun shoot's......newspaper stories,a few more book's.............

this will go down in the hall of flame's.........

"Thompson Greed"

i can just see the guy's now raising price's..........

those $350.00 drum's will be $1,000.00.......wink!!

make me a sargeant in charge, of the booze...........

Them:1954

its all good: RON

Hey!

Every time a movie makes it BIG, and involves a particular gun.....the price of that firearm go up!! I've been actively collecting and following the market since the early 70's and here's what I've noted about movies.....

Here are some of the larger examples that will show this to be basically true in most cases:

1) Movie - "Quigly Down Under". Prior to this movie the Sharps rifles (original ones) were selling in the price range of $1500.00 to a high of about $4000.00 for a buffalo gun with documentation of sorts.....a "history".

After the movie came out. the original Fat-barrelled 1874's went through the roof. I recall some selling by Devine in the range of $20,000.00 to $25,000.00! Fortunately these values have been coming down somewhat, as the movie is not so popular anymore.

2)Movie - "Dances with Wolves". Prior to the movie I had been looking at Henry rifles in the range of $2500.00 to $5,000.00. After Kevin Costner drops a huge buffalo at about 400 yards with ONE SHOT from his trusty Henry (a feat never equalled by anyone human considering the wimpy .44 rimfire cartridge!!) the value of these originals went up over $20,000.00 for a nice one! Fortunately, reality governs price and some of these have started downward trends in value lately, probably as the movie has been forgotten??

3)Movie - "Saving Private Ryan". OK folks, pay attention! This is the BIG ONE that affected all of us. Check old copies of the Gun List and also when the movie was made and tell me I'm wrong. I won't believe you, as I had just bought my first Bridgeport 28 and watched the value of ALL Thompsons spiral slowly upward and out of control!! Not only that, but you used to see lots of 1911's and 1911A1's at gun shows priced reasonably. Nowadays a reasonable 1911A1 will set you back $7-8 hundred bucks! And how about those Garands?? Check the values then and now. And Carbines too!! And remember the Nazis on the hill with the MG42?? Prices on those went up faster than the Tommyguns!!

4)Movie - "Band of Brothers". No telling what this movie will do as to prices and values....but to be shown soon on cable. Your guess is as good as mine.

One thing is for sure.....war movies are making a comeback. This tells me that any GI firearm (class 3 or not) will be a pretty good bet as an investment. AND as long as more people are lined up to buy the limited supply of guns for sale, the price has nowhere to go but UP!!

If you want to invest wisely in guns, just go to the movies!

My prediction??

Only Hollywood can stop the madness and the greed. And a lot of the Hollywood crowd seem to be investing in these guns themselves. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

john http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/huh.gif

Agreed. And, I guess Mel will help run the price of wooden crosses, hammers, and nails through the ceiling;-)! Get ready for an onslought of religious flicks, too. Better stock up.....

John, even though I'm fond of the Henry, I don't think they were selling between the prices you listed back when "Dances With Wolves" came out. I've never seen one for under $10,000.00 back then, and as you pointed out, a nice one on average will bring $20,000.00 today (Usually) Sarco has a nice example for $17,000.00 or so right now. Other than my interest in Thompsons and other Military Arms, I started out by collecting early Winchesters. I'm proud to say that I have a few beautifully restored Turnbull Deluxe 1886's!, 1873's (My Favorite), Ect. But yes, EVERYTHING is going up, and will continue.

Ahhhh maybe longer ago than my memory serves. I can remember opening a gun safe at a dealers in a small town in Minnesota, guess it was late 80's.....and found 5 henrys inside. Three were kinda trashy, and at $3500 each, seemed kinda pricey. The other two had price tags of fifv grand each, and were very nice. Alas, I didn't have the dough, and never really looked at Henry prices too much after that http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif

Back in 1987 I did pass on a real nice Sharps (with documented history) at the huge show in Tulsa. Oklahoma......sure wish I'd had $1900.00 with me then!!! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

Chris may have a point......anyone own stock in a sawmill??

john http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif