George Goll Mag-Dump

I was invited by a friend to come down to Louisiana this past weekend to shoot some guns while filming for a TV show was taking place. While there, I just had to give this little parlor trick a try with the Thompson. I need to do it with a drum next time. For anyone wondering, the gun was a Savage M1928A1 with British proof marks and the top sling swivel modification on the buttstock.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5tBKMSJO8o/

Yes, you need to do it with a drum ! More than once have heard from some "expert" about how hard a Thompson is to control. Stuff like "you aim at the ground in front of target and the shots will walk up" and my favorite was " unlatch the sling from the rear and step on the end of it to control the muzzle rise".

Of course no one had a Thompson handy to demonstrate this. Very much doubt the "experts" ever handled a Tommy gun much less actually fired one.

Yes, you need to do it with a drum ! More than once have heard from some "expert" about how hard a Thompson is to control. Stuff like "you aim at the ground in front of target and the shots will walk up" and my favorite was " unlatch the sling from the rear and step on the end of it to control the muzzle rise".

Of course no one had a Thompson handy to demonstrate this. Very much doubt the "experts" ever handled a Tommy gun much less actually fired one.

I've never found a Thompson difficult to control. Like in the video, you've got to hold it like you mean it.

Notice how his upper body is turned to the right and leans toward the target. Well done, Big Al.

Bob D

Edited by bug

I have found that there are a lot of "Thompson" experts that describe the shooting of a Thompson as horrible, uncontrollable muzzle rise and having bruises on their shoulder from the experience. All you can do is walk away.

Thanks guys! It honestly couldn't be an easier gun to shoot well. As bug says, you need to turn your upper body to the right, essentially presenting your left shoulder to the target. This puts mass forward of the buttplate over the left leg, making it harder for the gun to shift you while firing. You should not square up to the gun (form a right angle between the gun and your shoulders) which is the biggest mistake people make. It puts your weight directly over your feet, making it much easier for the gun to knock you back and climb. As for the hands, the right hand in conjunction with the cheek-weld controls the climb. The left hand just helps hold the gun up when aiming. Another point people like to deride the gun for is the stock, that the drop is excessive. I find that it puts the sights exactly where they need to be.