1928 Thompson Found Behind Closet

if it is a military 1928 and not a colt........that explain's it.....and paul is a great guy,he has seen the elephant.... and made it back................like in v.c.

wink!! take care,ron

p.s if it is a 1928 military..maybe it is lenny's.......it used to like to bury thing's...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe Hosey's article in the Herald News is another example of the media's invincible practice of reporting misleading, confusing and overall erroneous information that would be painfully obvious to even a neophyte firearms reader.

But what makes this find more unusual than if this was a Colt 1928, is how did a 1940 Savage TSMG, only available to the military at that time, wind up in civilian hands to be squirreled away behind a wall in 1940, if the ammo dated receipt is accurate?  Was this an armory stolen TSMG,  a pilfered TSMG from Savage Arms, or what?

That's what the media does. And they're good at it. A weapon stolen from, say Savage's factory or a National Guard unit, isn't nearly as glamorous as a bootlegger in the 1930s hiding it away from Al Capone. And news people are into entertainment. They also write stories with a pre-concieved notion of where they want the story to go. I've been to lots of public events and later read the stories, wondering what event they'd been to. I worked for a newspaper in production for four years after I got out of art school. One of the copy editors once said to me, "In a newspaper, you can only trust the box scores." How true.

I do find it funny to find out that so many of you know this was a post-1940 production weapon. Before getting on this fourm and getting a copy of American Thunder, I thought I knew about Tommy Guns, but now know that I don't know Jack.

"In a newspaper, you can only trust the box scores."

Truer words were never said. Of course, this Local-Yocal cop probably doesn't have a clue about a tenth of the NFA rules. But enough to know the Office can keep it.

Stuff like this has happenned before. I know a fellow in Clarksville, Tn a retired Navy man, who was tearing down an old house and up in the attic, there was a complete .30. Another friend of mine, who has been collecting guns since he was 12, found a BAR in '77 or '78 while helping renovate an old police station. He knew the COP, the chief pulled some strings, and Mr. Cook was able to keep it. My luck is just not that good.

Whenever Cops and my machineguns meet I spend the majority of the time educating the police on the rules and regulations of the NFA...the rest of the time is spent wiping their drool off of the MGs..or other bodily fluids... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/huh.gif

With the number of accounts of pistols, rifles and other sundry weapons found in the walls, nooks and crannies of old houses, it's a wonder someone doesn't do a Home Improvement tv show on them...

Chicago Trib waying in...

THE BEAT: SOUTH & SOUTHWEST

AROUND SOUTH COOK AND WILL COUNTIES

If walls could talk, secret of past might be revealed

Published April 17, 2005

LOCKPORT TOWNSHIP -- The house that Andrew Mayes of Lockport recently bought turned out to be a bit like a box of Cracker Jack: It had a surprise inside.

The surprise was secreted behind a wall in a closet Mayes was knocking out while rehabbing the home in the 200 block of Reverend Walton Drive in unincorporated Lockport Township, police said.

There, in an old gunnysack, was a 1928 A1 Thompson submachine gun, a version of the repeating rifle favored by gangsters and G-men alike during the Roaring '20s.

Seven boxes of ammunition were found alongside the "Tommy Gun," which was said to be in pristine condition.

"It's similar, but it's not exactly the same as the gangsters used [in the movies]," said Will County Sheriff Paul Kaupas, who noted that police and officials with the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives will try to trace the gun to an owner.

The find presents intriguing possibilities, Kaupas conceded. Was the house a rural hideout for some of Capone's boys?

Not likely.

"We traced the residents and the house, and there were no known gangsters who lived there," Kaupas said.

But who knows? The guns, precursors to similar weapons used by the military, also could be purchased by civilians for recreational use or protection, Kaupas said.

"We're going to try to trace the weapon through the sales number and see if it goes back to the military," he said.

Another clue as to who owned the gun could come from a receipt that says the ammunition was purchased June 15, 1940, said sheriff's spokesman Pat Barry.

Attempts to reach Mayes, who turned in the weapon Tuesday, were unsuccessful. Kaupas praised Mayes for reporting the find to police.

Barry put the gun's value at about $10,000. But the law limits the ability to sell the gun to a collector or a museum. Kaupas said state law prohibits civilians from owning automatic weapons, and federal law says the gun may have to be destroyed.

The age of the gun also makes tracing it a challenge because information about it is likely contained on paper records.

"Because the gun's so old, a lot of this stuff will have to be hand-checked," Barry said.

For now, the gun will remain in the sheriff's police armory, where a few similar weapons are stored.

Meanwhile, the mystery remains.

"It could have been used for self-protection, but why was it hidden in the wall?" Kaupas wondered.

Copyright © 2005, Chicago Tribune

Edited by ACARLG

I saw this happen. I was in a local flea market on a Saturday afternoon, checking out the wares of a militaria dealer, who was a sort of buddy of mine. An older lady came in carrying a department store shopping bag under her arm. She asked to speak to the dealer, and explained that her husband had died recently, and as they were cleaning out his work shop, "we found this." She opened the bag and pulled out an MP-40! The dealer stuffed back into the bag fast! She said she wanted to see if it had any value and wanted to sell it. He told her that if it wasn't registered in 1968, it was illegal. She gasped and I thought she was about to cry. "Wait a second," he said and made a call, glancing at the bag and the woman as he spoke. After he got off of the phone, he whispered to her, and her mood changed for the better. Not twenty minutes later, a man, whom I recognised from local gun shows, but didn't know, showed up, gave the woman an envelope, and left with the bag. Later, I learned he was a collector of WW II German stuff, and bought the MP-40 for $1,000. That was 1981.

he got ripped off paying $1,000.00 in 1981,the going rate for a mint matched one with extra's was that price...however maybe he sold it to charlie manson....he owned a 40 when the busted him........now wouldn't that be a tale!!wink!! take care,ron

p.s at least the widow got something>>>>

QUOTE (LSU Tiger @ Apr 18 2005, 05:59 PM)
I saw this happen. I was in a local flea market on a Saturday afternoon, checking out the wares of a militaria dealer, who was a sort of buddy of mine. An older lady came in carrying a department store shopping bag under her arm. She asked to speak to the dealer, and explained that her husband had died recently, and as they were cleaning out his work shop, "we found this." She opened the bag and pulled out an MP-40! The dealer stuffed back into the bag fast! She said she wanted to see if it had any value and wanted to sell it. He told her that if it wasn't registered in 1968, it was illegal. She gasped and I thought she was about to cry. "Wait a second," he said and made a call, glancing at the bag and the woman as he spoke. After he got off of the phone, he whispered to her, and her mood changed for the better. Not twenty minutes later, a man, whom I recognised from local gun shows, but didn't know, showed up, gave the woman an envelope, and left with the bag. Later, I learned he was a collector of WW II German stuff, and bought the MP-40 for $1,000. That was 1981.

It's doable, but most human beings lack the discipline to keep their mouths wired tight for any length of time. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hope springs eternal. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Tommy gun squabble not over

Lockport Twp. rehabber may get to keep rare find

Thursday, April 28, 2005

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/yr...st/283swyt2.htm

By Joe Hosey

Special to the Daily Southtown

A Lockport Township man might have a better chance than he first thought of keeping a 1928 Thompson submachine gun that he recently found hidden in a house.

An agent with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives said Andrew Mayes has some hurdles to clear in his effort to keep the valuable gun, but he could do it.

Mayes — a local minister, youth basketball coach and real estate investor — found the Tommy gun behind a wall in a Lockport Township house he's rehabbing.

The gun was wrapped up, along with a cleaning kit and about 400 rounds of ammunition. The ammunition was accompanied by a 65-year-old receipt from Barrett Hardware Co. in Joliet.

The gun was in excellent condition, and experts said it could be sold for at least $10,000.

He turned the weapon over to Will County Sheriff's police to check on it, but he expected to get it back.

"They took it, and they're going to do what they want with it," Mayes said. "What right do they have to keep it?"

Sheriff Paul Kaupas sent the weapon to the ATF to be traced, something that may prove difficult given its age. Kaupas said the department cannot return the Tommy gun because under Illinois law it's illegal for a person to possess such a weapon.

But ATF special agent Thomas Ahearn said Mayes, who says he holds a firearm owner's identification card, might be able to get the weapon back.

Ahearn said Mayes would have to go through a background check, register the gun with the ATF, find a federal firearm licensee to take temporary possession of it and get a letter from either his local police chief or mayor approving the sale of the gun.

Mayes does not regret giving the gun to sheriff's police but would do it a bit differently if given another chance.

"I would have still turned it in," he said, "but I would have had a lawyer deal with them right from the beginning."

The Herald News of Joliet

I would like to see Mr. Mayes get the '28 back. I doubt that it's going to happen though. Illinois has some really screwed up laws, but if somehow Mr. Mayes can legally have the Thompson returned to him to keep, would that be the first step to overturning the stupid state laws concerning NFA weapons? Just wishful thinking on my part. Dave

I also would love to see the gun given to him, but isn't it strange that there was no mention of the specifics of the loop hole. It sounds like the ATF agent was explaining the general process of MG ownership and someone jumped to conclusion that this was somehow a concession. Sure hope I'm wrong, though! If he does get it back, the ATF will have to apologize to a lot of past closet Thompson owners.

We'll see. I'm thinking that he might be given the weapon after the receiver is cut or without the receiver at all. I still hope that he gets that 1928 Thompson back in original condition, just as it was found. Dave

I don't see how he could get it back intact. Illinois = NO CLASS 3. Period. Like Sgt. said, ATF would have to get back to all the other guys they said "No" to. My bet is that it won't happen. I've never known this state to bend a Class 3 law. I have an Illinois Firearms Ownership ID card; can I have that Thompson...wink!

Maybe.....

if it is on the NFA register (doubtful http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif ), AND....

it's not stolen, AND....

he can find a class 3 dealer in Illinois, AND.....

he can find a person willing to store it in an NFA friendly state, THEN....

he might be able to keep it and go visit it when he wants to shoot it. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

If it is registered, they should at least let him sell it.

If it is not registered, I do not think he will ever see it again. Hopefully, they would let him have everything back except the receiver.

My $.02 worth.

Norm http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif

Norm is correct. The ATF Agent is misinformed. If it isn't registered it can't be, period! The exception would be a Form 10, which can only go to Law Enforcement or Government Agency, so that's out. Illinois doesn't allow individual transfer/ownership. They used to have exemptions, years ago, but not anymore. If he was a Class 3 Dealer, that would be okay but if the gun isn't registered, that's out, too!

Poorly written article. The Agent quoted doesn't really know what he is talking about and the writer obviously didn't do any research. Typical for the press in this country lately and for government representatives.

When has the liberal press ever written any article about NFA ownership,machine guns,etc.,and conveyed the truth!...especially in Illinois... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif ..if Mr.Mayes ever gets the 28 back he can send it down here and get a tan when he visits it.. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif .. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Y'all are beating on the liberal press for this or that misinformation, but the gun ain't sitting in a newspaper editor's office right now, is it? No.

It's sitting in a Pig Sty, tucked away all safe from dangerous John Q. Publick, who made the mistake of calling the Pigs in the first place. Mr. Chief Pig says: "Shoots real sweet." Yeah, I'll bet it does, Mr. Pig, and I'm sure you do want to keep it for "posterity's sake." Not to mention an occasional ratta-tat-tat at the local Pig Range, when you get the urge. And now that Mr. Big Pig has had a chance to shoot his booty, he understandably wants to keep his little pickled feet latched tight onto this sweet prize. I can see him grinning from here, little bits of sooie dripping off his chin, and onto his clean starched blues.

What's that you say? Don't blame the Pigs for just doing their jobs? Well, I agree that it's the politicians who are most to blame. But I also hold the enforcers of immoral laws responsible for their actions. "We juss doin our jobs, mistah J.Q. Publicks. Aftah all, you's smaht enuf to elect law makuhs, but you's shuah nuff aint smaht to take care of yooselfs."

As much as I hate lawyers, I will never, EVER trust Pigs. Not all cops are pigs. But these cops are Pigs, and give every good one a bad name. The next crap I take will be in honor of Sheriff Paul Kaupas.

Freddie, I would say welcome to the boards, but that is a VERY bad way to start it off. There are a lot of Police officers here and many of US work very close with the local Police departments. Yes there are a very few bad apples. But using a term some slack jawed hippie from the 60's or 70's would use, won't go here.

You took the words right out of my mouth Mike, but if I was to respond in my own language, I'd be kicked off the board. Dave

Dear fellow Thompson enthusiasts and Americans:

I am an honerable Police officer and a firearms collector. I am also a NRA certified Tactical rifle instructor, Urban rifle, pistol, and shotgun instructor. I am a brother, son, and a father who honors life, hard work, and ethics. I have always attempted to do the right thing in my job as a police officer within the written law and the spirit of the law. I own numerous class 3 firearms and suppressors. I am a supporter of Democracy (which means that I support the United States Constitution and my states Constiutution and gives me and everyone else in this Country the right to change things like laws if I don't like a particular law) I may not like particular laws which gives me the right to attempt to legally change them by voting in individuals that I consider to be quality and who share my perspective. Freddie, if you think that certain laws are immoral and that cops are immoral because they enforce whichever law that you consider immoral-then there are inflamatory words to describe people like you that look at life that way too. Maybe we should live in the Democracy according to Freddy and not the Democracy of "We The People." I may not like what you have to say.....

May God bless America.

ChopperJimmy

I agree with Mike, we don't need that kind of talk on this board.

See Ya

Tino

Whoa Freddie ! !

Completely out of order, man.

You are obviously in the wrong forum for your kind of hateful behaviour.

As far as I, and most people in this forum, I am proud of my 'pigs'. I respect them and appreciate them.

I have NEVER known a 'pig' as you put it, to be anything but honest, hard working and decent individuals.

The 'pigs' who rushed in to help people in the World Trade center were HEROES and they, and all LEO, have my admiration and sincere thanks.

Next 'crap' (your word) that you take use a mirror...you'll be looking at yourself.

Carlos

Freddie,

Hmmmmm, me thinks you got an agenda...

No way to talk about a vast majority of people who put their

very lives on the line.

A little therapy might be in order.

Besides, who the hell use's that term anymore?!

geeeeez http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/dry.gif

Zamm

Freddie, that is extremely uncharitable. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif In every walk of life there are a certain percentage who are 'dirty', unprincipled, arrogant or lacking good character; I'm sure it is no different in police work, medicine, journalism, law, politics, fishing, education, storekeeping, etc, etc, etc. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif If you disagree with a law, work to change it! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/mad.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif

Regards, Walter