Bm-59 Research - Beretta Factory Visit

UK Armourer

Gentlemen,

I have for around 24 years had a passion for the BM-59, this stems from the fact that I had collected M1 Garand's, and M14 rifles back in the 80's when we could legally here in the UK and I had ready access to rifles as I was armourer to a well known UK dealer back then. I well remember looking at a rack of 15 or so BM-59's in a rack at SIDEM UK's HQ and haggling for the lot at around $180 a rifle! They were all in 80% finish condition and all minus magazines... It turned out that the deal never went through and I always regretted never having owned one or adding one to my collection!!! Anyhow, in 1986 the firearms laws changed dramatically here in the Uk and 95% of dealers went out of business because we were no longer allowed semiautomatic rifles & carbines, or machine-guns converted to single shot which had also been quite legal for many years! and the strangest thing of all pump action rifles were also banned!!!

Anyhow, early this year a chance conversation with an old acquaintance sparked my interest in the BM-59 and so I contacted some old dealer 'buddies' and got a lead on a contact at Beretta Italy. After a phone call I was flabbergasted to get invited to go to the factory to research the manufacture of the M1 Garand at Beretta and the subsequent development of the BM-59. It seems that no one outside of Italy had ever asked or shown any interest in the M1 or BM-59 and they were very keen to assist, so on the 4th of July this year I flew direct from my local airport to Bergamo Airport, Italy on a budget airline (for $40 return fare) and drove the 30 miles to Gardone val Trompia where the Beretta factory is located and booked into my hotel. That evening I met with a buddy who collects military arms and had dinner. The next morning I rushed breakfast in my excitement and drove the 500 metres to the factory, well it took about 20 minutes because I could not find the main office! If anyone has been to the factory before the town is built around it and the main factory office complex is up a very narrow back street and parking is a nightmare! I presented myself to the main desk and was shown into a side room where I waited nervously for half an hour. Eventually my contact at the factory arrived with a bundle of literature which included M1 Rifle manuals as printed by Beretta, BM-59 manuals, BM-59 sales literature and extracts from other magazines and books, as well as a copy of a late 60's, early 70's promotional book on the Beretta factories at Gardone val Trompia and Rome. In this book were some very small pictures of BM-59 manufacture and test firing. I was then shown around the museum.... WOW! Everything Beretta, and more besides!!! I had a guided tour of the exhibits then allowed to handle and photograph all the M1 and BM-59's in the collection.

I had the opportunity to talk with Beretta employees that were involved with M1 & BM-59 design and production and the day flew over. I have another visit scheduled later this year and will probably have access to the tool room prototypes of the BM-59 and also get to see what BM-59, BM-69, & BM-62 rifles there are left in inventory at the factory. It appears that there could be upwards of 200 rifles left over from various contracts that I am in negotiation to purchase for the European market, unfortunately it's no longer possible to export M1's or BM-59 parts to the USA legally in quantities these days... Most of the BM-59 and M1 rifle parts that are appearing on Ebay, Gunbroker, and Auction Arms from Italy are parts that have 'leaked out' of official M1 & BM-59 destruction inventory illegally, right now in excess of 100,000 M1's and 20,000 BM-59's are being unceremoniously 'torched' near Padova, Italy on Government orders. a sad end to what were excellent rifles!

Years ago I researched the development of the AR15/M16 Rifle and had pictures published of serial number 2 & 3 AR15 prototypes that were at that time in the SIDEM UK collection here in the UK. The photographs appeared in the Collector Grade Publication book 'The Black Rifle (M16 Retrospective)'. I have a provisional understanding with R. Blake-Stevens, the owner of Collector Grade Publications that my research will be published by them when complete.

I know that a lot of you guys have lots of information on the 'civilian' BM-59's and BM-62's that were imported into the USA by Berben Corp. and Benet Arms as well as the rifles built by Springfield Armory (Bob Reese) from incomplete BM-59 forging's back in the 80's (Bob has kindly agreed to help me in my research and I am to visit his facility next year to assist me in my research). If anyone would be willing to share their information on the Italian manufacture of the M1 and BM-59 as well as the rifles imported into the uSA I would be very grateful as well as giving full credit for their contributions in any publications. I hope that this endeavour goes well and that a long outstanding chapter in firearms history is soon to be filled.

ciao

Vic Tuff

Here are a couple of pictures of the M1 & BM-59 Rack:

http://imgfreehost.com/out.php?i13928_Racka.jpg

http://imgfreehost.com/out.php?i13929_Rackb.jpg

Top to Bottom

Beretta Garand Model 1 (1960)

BM-59 Mark I Ital (1961)

BM-59 Mark IV so called Nigerian Model (1961)

BM-59 Para Prototype (1959)

BM-59 Mark I Prototype built on a modified M1 Garand receiver (1959)

BM-59 Mark I Ital Sectioned (1960)

to the left, BM-59 Para

to the right, BM-62 Sport

Edited by UK Armourer

Vic,

Welcome and thank you for your informative posting. It was saddening to hear about the laws in the UK. I believe the laws did not help the citizens. I have family from there and they tell me things that the media does not. Also, the destruction of the M1's and BM59's...A SHAME!!! Can't wait to hear more about your travels and endeavours to Italy. I just got goose bumps reading about your trip!

Pete/AlpiniPete (Beretta Forum)

Vic,

Again, THANKS!!! The pictures are beautiful, as well as the rifles!!! Oh Great! I am at work and can't stand up from looking at the pictures! YIKES!!! LOL!!! Take care, everyone!

Pete

P.S. Vic, Any pictures of the literature you picked up?

• 3 months later...

After reading Vic's article here again for the 4th or 5th time this just dawned on me ,I do not know why I didn'e think of this before .

VIC any possibility that youo would be interested in making copies of the information that Beretta gave you and offering those copies forsale to a few fellow enthusists ?

I know I would be interested in any information that you would be willing to share ?

I am sure that we would have a few others here that would be interested also .

Let us know ?

I would also be intersted in the BM59 book when you write it .

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mike,

I hadn't thought of publishing anything prior to any book that may come of my research. I guess the main issue is that of copyright... as far as I am aware if I distribute any photographs prior to any book deal the copyright is compromised as they have become 'public domain'. Whilst I'm not adverse to posting some pictures I'll have to get back to you on this one! BTW, anyone know of a good 'free' picture hosting service?

Another thing and 'off topic' I just got back from Germany & Switzerland, where I was looking at racks and racks of Schmit Rubin straight pull rifles, Stgw 57's (PE 57's too), and Sig 550's (PE 90's). There is an auction of SIG factory prototypes and 'pattern' rifles on the 23rd of February and I'm planning on going, anyone have a wants list ;-)

Cheers,

Vic

Hi Mike,

I hadn't thought of publishing anything prior to any book that may come of my research. I guess the main issue is that of copyright... as far as I am aware if I distribute any photographs prior to any book deal the copyright is compromised as they have become 'public domain'. Whilst I'm not adverse to posting some pictures I'll have to get back to you on this one! BTW, anyone know of a good 'free' picture hosting service?

Another thing and 'off topic' I just got back from Germany & Switzerland, where I was looking at racks and racks of Schmit Rubin straight pull rifles, Stgw 57's (PE 57's too), and Sig 550's (PE 90's). There is an auction of SIG factory prototypes and 'pattern' rifles on the 23rd of February and I'm planning on going, anyone have a wants list ;-)

Cheers,

Vic

Vic

Try www.photobucket.com

I'm your buddy. lol

ARDog