Lewis gun shroud 100% aluminium? Diamond knurling?

Hi,

Were all shrouds aluminium from end to end, including the rear most band and flat top plate? Or were the rear most parts ever steel and welded to the aluminium?

Also, were all the 1917 model shrouds diamond knurled instead of spiral/thread grooved?

eg. 1917 diamond knurled:

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/DSCN0065.jpg

1917 but images not high enough resolution to see knurling or threading:

http://jamesdjulia.com/item/1050-369

Thanks

Edited by Kurtyboy

I just realised the outer casing (which I referred to as the shroud) is steel and not aluminium. Sorry about that.

Here's another 1917 with diamond knurling on the casing:

http://jamesdjulia.com/item/1694-396/

Does anyone know if all of this model (with the two added bands for the bipod or double anti-aircraft attachment) were diamond knurled or did any have the spiral grooves?

I'm getting an outer jacket machined so would prefer to keep details authentic.

Thanks

No Lewis LMGs had shrouds constructed of aluminum. All were steel. The finned radiator sheathing the barrel Inside the shroud was aluminum, and is the only part made of that metal on the gun.

Only the US Savage made Lewis LMGs had the "knurling" on the shroud. Brit, Japanese, Czech, Durch, etc did not. FWIW

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I figured that out. The problem was the terminology. What you're referring to as 'shroud' is what most refer to as outer jacket or casing, and what you're referring to as radiator, most refer to as 'shroud' (including wickedpedia). Thanks for the info on the knurling.

Edited by Kurtyboy

With all due respect, the "radiator" has been reasonably referred to as the "radiator" since the Lewis was introduced, since that is its function. As for the "shroud", which also is what that part is, can only be construed as that, no since there is no other part that it could possibly be. Shroud, casing, jacket casing, radiator jacket, radiator shroud, etc, etc are equally valid at any time and cannot be confused with any other part.

Now, no offense, but Wikipedia is NOT the reference source for such determinations. Further, I have been an owner, shooter and caretaker of various Lewis guns since 1975, still own a bunch, and have repaired or reactivated more than I can recall. I acquired my first DEWAT MG in 1956. I noticed in your original post that you are at the point in your learning curve of trying to determine if steel is welded to the aluminum on the Lewis! I never mind being corrected, but, I have long ago earned the right to call MG parts whatever I care to, but you are a long way out yet from earning the right to correct anyone.

Please forgive me for being grumpy. I just returned home and am tired from a six day trip to Knob Creek.

Good luck with your project.........

• 2 weeks later...