Hotels For The 2006 Show & Shoot

I’ve been asked to work on setting up group rates for next year’s TCA Show and Shoot. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

My experience with this here in the DC area is that hotels normally are looking for 15 or more rooms to get a rate. With about 100 folks attending this year’s Show & Shoot we could probably set up 3 - 5 hotels with 15 – 20 rooms each and be able to accommodate a range of prices and tastes.

To do this right, I’ll need to have a reasonably good idea of where we all ended up staying. Please let me know what hotel you used (and if you would recommend it!) and once I have a list, I’ll work with them to set up several hotels with blocks of rooms for next year’s show.

Thanks!

Bill Troy

Bill,

I stayed at the Hyatt on Capitol Square in Columbus. Excellent hotel, but a little too far away from the show. If rooms had been available at the Granville Inn when I booked my reservation, that's where I would have stayed. We should book the whole hotel...

David

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

QUOTE (full auto 45 @ Aug 24 2005, 07:17 PM)
Granville Inn. It's close by. It's gun friendly. It has a bar. It smells like old people.

Long as that ugly biatch from the calander ain't going to be there, count me in.

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

My wife was sold on the Granville, she kept saying that it smelt like Clenzoil. Not sure if they'll move much on their prices if we hit the same weekend as the MOPAR event again. My understanding is that a number of potential calendar girls showed up at the Brew Cafe but Mike was too busy trying to spell TSMG to take applications.

Granville Inn, would be nice to get it a deal on the rooms, don't know why the rooms cost so much , it took forever to get hot water in the bath rooms ,may be because its close to the bar

and we can stagger to the hotel rooms ,so they charged more.

Mike , those aren't old people, there Ghost

See Ya

Tino

Granville Inn was very nice but pricey. According to Mike, it smelled that way (old people) before I got there so don't blame me. As far as the calendar girl goes, there was one in particular that was vying for the cover. Unfortuanately, I could only get her to take photos but not allow them to be taken of her.........that's just not right !! Next?

Bill,

I have stayed the last several years at the Marriott Courtyard. I believe a number of other TCA participants have stayed there also (I saw a couple familiar faces this year alone). There is an adjacent McDonald's for that early morning breakfast before heading to the range. Not the ambiance of the Granville, and slightly further from Tracie's, but closer to the range. There are also pizza joints and a Texas Roadhouse adjacent, but not the all-important tavern..... Never had any problems with hot water.

Like Roland said, you probably won't get any special rate if it is on a MOPAR weekend, but otherwise they may be willing to work with you. As I recall from prior years, the non-MOPAR rate but with a AAA discount was something like $88.

Roger

QUOTE (Phil Askew @ Aug 25 2005, 07:24 PM)
Bill,  The Granville was pricey, but a perfect location. I think we should take over the hotel bar next year as the official Thompson Bar!!

Phil,

I'm with you! The Granville is a perfect location and the bar is roomy enough to accomodate several guests. The bar has more ambience, too! Great idea!

Bill,

We have stayed at both places mentioned - Courtyard and Granville. Both have their advantages... new and lower cost is the Courtyard, and Granville Inn is, well, Mike pretty much covered it.

Why not look into both of these places? I was too damn tired and fell asleep Friday night, so I didn't get much out of the Granville Inn's bar.

All,

Thanks for the inputs! Based on the replies so far the Granville, Marriott Courtyard and Cherry Valley (?) seem to be favorites. I'll wait a week or so and see what comes in from the TCA web site and then get moving on this. I'll contact the hotels and get things moving while I find out from Tracie the planned show dates. I hope to have these set up within a week or so of finding out the date of the 2006 show.

Bill Troy http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

We stayed at the Buxton Inn across the street from the Granville. I'd stay at either....doesn't matter to me.

What We'd really like to see is the time of the shoot pushed back to about a 9AM start. My Wife and daughter didn't shoot this year as the thing started so early. ANd I didn't hit the bar at the Granville that night as I didn't have much energy after getting up sooooo early!

Not knocking Tracies shoot, as it was really first rate. But if it could be worked with more shooter positions it could be done in less time, and started later. It would also leave more time for the steel shoot.

I'd do an RSO course to help out here if needed, and foot the bill myself.

anyone else have ideas along these lines?

john