Remington 17 pistol gripped gun at Collectors Firearms

There was a discussion here a while ago about the factory Remington model 17 with a pistol grip and 15 barrel. Some of the examples had GRPD crudely stamped on them. Collectors Firearms in Houston has one advertised. I cant believe it will bring $2950.

https://www.collectorsfirearms.com/remington-17-sbs-20-gauge-s11198/

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have a GRPD (Grand Rapids PD) Remington 17. It is my understanding that some of these shipped with shoulder stocks. That may account for the SBS designation. The SBS was based on the original configuration or lack of knowledge at the PD. Mine has the pistol grip stock now. While it would be nice to be an AOW due to the tax stamp cost, it does give me the opportunity to put a shoulder stock on the firearm if I desire.

Just what I've hear/read on the interweb. Abraham Lincoln once said if you read it on the internet it must be right :) Sorry. It is late.

Enjoy,

Grasshopper

Edited by Grasshopper

The TAC-14 and Shockwave are not "shotguns," they are "firearms." At the time this Remington was built no one had yet figured out the firearm loophole in the NFA designations so it was papered as a "shotgun" and any shotgun with a 15" barrel is an AOW

The TAC-14 and Shockwave are not "shotguns," they are "firearms." At the time this Remington was built no one had yet figured out the firearm loophole in the NFA designations so it was papered as a "shotgun" and any shotgun with a 15" barrel is an AOW

When this gun was built the NFA had not been enacted.

All of these original Remington 17 guns were registered by the owner, not by Remington. The owner registered them according to what they knew, and the gun's configuration at the time. If this gun has always had the pistol grip it could have been registered as an AOW. But maybe the owner didn't know that, or wanted to be able to use it with a shoulder stock also. I have read that at least some of the Remington 17 pistol gripped guns were supplied with a shoulder stock also. Probably you got whatever you wanted, if you ordered it with both stocks that's what you got. If you ordered it with just a pistol grip or just a shoulder stock you got that. At the time these were sold by Remington they were just guns. There was no NFA, no AOW or short barreled shotguns. Guns were guns. A few states may have had regulations, but nothing at the federal level. To me that is part of what is neat about the pre-1934 guns that are now NFA firearms. Relics from an era before gun control.

If someone wanted to make a gun configured just like the one in the ad in the first message, as a new production gun, so long as the overall length was at least 26" it could be sold like the Mossberg Shockwave guns or the Remington TAC 13 guns, as a "firearm" that is not subject to the NFA in that exact configuration. But of course the Remington 17 ended production in or before 1934. New made Remington 17 guns are not happening.

• Upvote 1