The seller's description is correct and complete in all respects. Too many of you guys impugned something you knew little about and had no intention of ever bidding on. Shame on you.

I'm pretty sure that Bob knows a thing or two about these types of guns, and his questions were very legitimate. Most of us weren't accusing the seller of anything, but stating what it looks like. You just never know nowadays, and with a gun that is apparently worth $20,000-$30,000-$40,000+, it's worth being concerned if a gun may or may not be 100% legit.

Don't act like there aren't tons of machine guns floating around that were "built" in the 1970s and 1980s simple by the "builder" engraving their name on the receiver. We've all seen them. With all that said, I have an MP38 already, so you are correct, I was never going to bid on it anyways. If I was in the market though, I wouldn't touch that MP38 for sale with a 10 foot pole because of my and other's concerns. Either way, my opinion doesn't really matter, and it will get bid up very high, and the buyer and seller will both be happy.

The seller's description is correct and complete in all respects. Too many of you guys impugned something you knew little about and had no intention of ever bidding on. Shame on you.

if we dont discuss things currently for sale that eliminates much of what we talk about.

Ive never seen an Erb mp38 as most here have never seen one. Its legit to question if one exists. The seller may not have spent the time shining a flashlight or completely dissembling his gun to know what he has. Its not uncommon.

i know of a couple here who HAD ideas to bid on this gun. With the price high and going higher i doubt they will anymore, but there are people who intended to bid and probably are others i dont know of who still will.

Seller got free advertising here

Yes they do a boatload of all kinds of critique.And really all that matters to seller HE SELLS IT. And to the buyer he likes what he buys.Actually the rest of us have nothing to do with it.

Like the gun shows and ten people horn in and ask questions. I would always say unless you have something good to add.or are buying the items with the money you have in the wallet. Step Off.Sometimes it can get like a ole lady rag fest convention.And as collectors age it gets worse.We don't know when we have won and can't shut the F up.Holy Moses We have become politicians.

That MP-38, i had no qualms about it. and seemed to be taken care of well.

Everybody have a good weekend.And go out and buy some guns and have fun.Ron

Yes i think we finally nailed it.

if we dont discuss things currently for sale that eliminates much of what we talk about.

Ive never seen an Erb mp38 as most here have never seen one. Its legit to question if one exists. The seller may not have spent the time shining a flashlight or completely dissembling his gun to know what he has. Its not uncommon.

i know of a couple here who HAD ideas to bid on this gun. With the price high and going higher i doubt they will anymore, but there are people who intended to bid and probably are others i dont know of who still will.

Seller got free advertising here

Huggy, I can assure you that Erb MP38's exist because I have one of them. I talked with Mr. Erb years ago after obtaining my gun and he told me he painstakingly reproduced the receiver with all the details, they are perhaps better manufactured than the original tubes. I think this gun being sold now is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Prices on Class 3 guns are already outrageous so why shouldn't this gun fall in line with the rest. Buy it to appreciate it and enjoy, and shoot it, that's what it's all about. Rarely do ANY kind of MP38's come up for sale, they are a pretty rare bird.

Mike H.

MH

Not doubting erb made them. But I wonder why erb would make them with all the extra labor involved. In 1980 or when ever erb made them how much more could he get for a mp38 vs mp40? $100?

All the extra labor for a small return on his work.

Maybe he just liked making them. Maybe he was able to charge more than I think

Just would seem more profitable to make 2 mp40s vs 1 mp38. I have no idea how much extra time it takes. Guessing. Those flutes had to take time or maybe the fake folds he recreated in the mp40 tube took just as long

Id love to own this gun. But its at the high end Id be willing to pay for it

Doh!

He probably made the receiver because he had an all-marching MP38 parts kit (probably one with S/N 7093) and knew that given the rarity of MP38s there'd be a market for it.

FWIW if you're making (1) receiver, a '38 is something that can readily and cheaply be turned out by any reasonably capable machine shop with standard equipment. If you're making (25,000) of them then the economies of scale allow you to make the fixtures and tooling to fabricate all the complex sheet metal bits and pieces to construct a '40 receiver; making one or two would be a nightmare

Well it went for 26.8 K, did anyone here bid on this or possibly win it? Makes me almost want to sell mine....well, almost.

MH

I think the price was about right. I mean if you figure how many MP40s were built (about 1 million) and the number of MP38s (perhaps 50k) then that is what 20 to 1? And original MP38s are really rare so there can't be but a handful in the US. So at first it might seem high but when you look at it like this the price was still "cheap". Most guys (me included) will probably never own an MP38 tube let alone an original gun. Not as rare as an FG42 but I would say every bit as popular.

I was one of the bidders on the gun. I've been looking for an MP38 for awhile. Tube gun or not, MP38s are few and far between and this gun is in great shape, hence the reason for the price. It's all a consequence of the dwindling supply of fully transferable machineguns and the ever growing demand. And what better way is there to determine far market value, than to hold a public auction with no reserve where anyone can bid?

I was one of the bidders on the gun. I've been looking for an MP38 for awhile. Tube gun or not, MP38s are few and far between and this gun is in great shape, hence the reason for the price. It's all a consequence of the dwindling supply of fully transferable machineguns and the ever growing demand. And what better way is there to determine far market value, than to hold a public auction with no reserve where anyone can bid?

Sorry you missed out maxfaxdude I was watching the bidding and that biddergw guy just wouldnt let go so who knows how much higher it could have gone.The last real MP38 i saw was $48k at the sar show in dec of '17. I did not realize how very few MP38's are out there in the registry so i guess this tube price is about 1/2 of a vintage MP38 so its not really out of line if you have to have a MP38. I agree the gun was in perfect condition and the tube was stamped exactly like the real german one.

Yeah, I had to let it go at $26,500 but I wish biddergw the best. He let the auction ending time get down to less than 1 minute several times before rebidding; that drove me crazy. I saw that MP38 at the SAR and the guy wanted crazy money for it. So the quest continues....

Yeah, I had to let it go at $26,500 but I wish biddergw the best. He let the auction ending time get down to less than 1 minute several times before rebidding; that drove me crazy. I saw that MP38 at the SAR and the guy wanted crazy money for it. So the quest continues....

The seller at sar had a vintage MP40 also i think he wanted $27k for it. I was surprised to seem them just laying on a hard table for people to pick up and mess around with.

These aren't as rare as it may seem. You don't see many but they are out there. Erb, Wilson, Inland, Harry O'Connell, Texas Arms Co (O'Connell affiliated?), and a few one offs. A dealer that used to post on here occasionally had two tube guns in his inventory at once a few years ago as did the Ace Case guy that goes to KCR (or used to - I haven't been for a few years and memory fading on names). STGs have sort of dried up in the same way - when I landed mine, you could count on a nice one surfacing every few weeks but not now.

My tube gun is a Inland and has the MP38 type tube. On the form 4 it has MP38-40 as the model.

Tried to post some pics would not work for postings from old server.It is true as you age less patience and less b.s. ha ha.....everybody enjoy the stuff.Ron

Edited by colt21a