1927a1 Memorabilia

Thought you might be interested in this photo of what was described to me as the prototype of Numrich's model 1927A1. This is a cropped scan of an original 8" x 10" black and white glossy photo evidently made for promotional purposes some time prior to ATF approval and start of production. They had a framed copy on the wall at NAC when I visited the West Hurley facility in 1975, so I asked if they had another and after some digging through desk drawers they found a spare. I have no idea how many of these prints were made or how many survived.

It's apparent that the original negative was retouched or airbrushed, presumably to improve lighting effects on the receiver and magazine surfaces and possibly to hide original markings. The side relief on the rear sight looks unlike any Lyman flipup I've ever seen, but that could have been the result of overzealous retouching. Examination of the print under high magnification leaves little doubt that the negative started out as a photograph of an actual gun, as opposed to a good artist's rendering.

We're all aware there were several prototypes submitted before ATF signed off on the final design, so I don't really know what stage of evolution this photo shows. However, the substantial differences between the photo and what Numrich eventually produced suggest this might be the first version. As far as I can tell, the photo reflects EVERYTHING the ATF found objectionable about the initial designs. Careful scaling indicates (though I can't be 100% sure of this) that the receiver is "full height", that is, without the 0.10" height reduction that necessitated elongating the magazine hole. The radiused drum mag slots and "correct" rear sight location additionally suggest that what is shown may actually have been a '28 receiver. Note also the FA-style pivot plate and absence of the forward milled out "step" on the trigger frame housing. There are other differences as well, such as the no-crossbolt stock, shape of the actuator handle, etc.

Comments and thoughts welcome!

http://img132.exs.cx/img132/4707/numrichprototype3xe.jpg

I've seen that Pic. many times..I don't think the Receiver is a '28. Looks 0.10" shorter to me, and the Bolt Handle isn't forward enough when closed to assume it's a '28. We know that WH did use modified M1 TSMG Trigger Housings, internal parts, and Bolts on their early produced Guns. Damn, would have been a great Gun if built as an open bolt....

• 5 weeks later...