Why no markings and clearly old

Hi, I just want to say that I love your attack dog. Well, with MP40 mag pouches there is so much variation in manufacture that it is almost impossible to say what a "normal" or original mag pouch should look like. Most of the originals that I have handled have been marked but not always. As the fortunes of war turned against Germany, they had to resort to whatever was available both in materials and manpower and I think that sometimes they just didn't have the time to mark them. You really have a nice matched set of pouches there. It more than likely was manufactured late war possibly late 1944 or early 1945. Can you tell us the whole story of how you snagged them?

These are the aged reproductions coming out of the Czech Republic. They're often sold as originals on eBay. Differences between these and the originals jump right out at anyone who's collected the originals. Quality is usually quite good. You'll see variations in canvas, from black to blue, and gray to green. They'll have either no markings or incorrect ones, incorrect used/aged Eastern bloc post war canvas, leather straps that are slightly too wide, and stitching that doesn't match the originals. These are not inexpensive. They're great for storing and taking mags to the range, saving wear and tear on valuable originals. If you compare these to any original side by side, the differences are really easy to see. Workmanship is somewhat indifferent, so I suppose the maker is going for some kind of late war look. This to me is somewhat odd, since the maker is obviously skilled enough to turn out exact copies if desired. Trust me, here. I've been following these for a long time.

Post these pics over on http://www.k98kforum.com/forumdisplay.php?27-WW2-German-Machine-Guns and the experts will weigh in, but there's no doubt about this set.

Edited by TSMGguy

I got them included with a set of 6 magazines for the MP40. I think i paid about $600 total? I don't remember exactly but i might have paid more. I bought so many magazines. I stopped collecting or paying up for the faked stuff. Sad.

Eric

Thank you for the nice comment about my dog Khloe. She is my best friend. What a sweetheart.

Eric

Edited by Normal1959

Www.MP40.nl has a good section with pics of basic pouches that is well worth the read. There is a wide variety of repro pouches made in the last twenty plus years or more and as noted above are easy to separate from vintage when compared.

There is a repro pair offered for far more than they are worth on GB under the MP40 heading claimed to be original but the repro details are glaring. Worth a look for educational purposes. I own half a dozen vintage pairs that have become valuable as references as the corrupting tide of repros continues to seep into the US. FWIW

real pouch setups are $1200-1500 from what ive seen....Fokle had some last i emailed with him a while ago

they wouldnt come free with 6 mags...at $100 a mag you paid the full market price

pouches are still nice to load up and strap on