1928 Parts Set From Ima

Hi Again Gang,

Just got done watching Gunney on the History Channel, so now I can write. Well I got my '28 parts set and adjustable Lyman sight from IMA today. And all I can say is, THIS STUFF IS REALLY REALLY NICE!

Ordered it by Fax back in July I think. A day or so after placing the order a nice young lady called from IMA to tell me they wouldn't be getting the sets till the end of August. I wouldn't be billed until they shipped it. Ok I said. It was worth the wait!

I swear this poor thing was sitting in a rack when some SOB came along and hacked it up! Ok, I'm sure all the parts didn't come frome the same gun, but the finish on everything is great.

The barrel ( finned ) and comp. ( Type IV ) look almost new. The horizontal stock is marked Savage and doesn't have a ding on it! The buttstock is a non-cross bolted piece ( W marked, Water Fowl Decoy ) and has two or three small dings that can be steamed out easily.

Milled swivels, nickeled bolt, smooth actuator and paddle selector/safety. The lower looks to have been refinished at some time with a thin coat of black paint or varnish, starting to peel. But no rust, dents, or pitting. Just minor handling marks for a 60+ year old piece.

All the parts I looked at ( haven't stripped the lower ) are marked either Savage or Stevens. Only the lower was marked Auto Ordnance. And it has something special about it, ( See seperate post ).

The Lyman sight has one very small ding on the top of the ladder. The base bluing is perfect! Again, another piece that was just sitting around on a gun waiting to be put into service. The set came with a stamped "L" sight, but I needed another adjustable.

So , as you can tell I'm very happy with this set.

Take care,

Bill

Hi Chopper,

No, problem. IMA is asking $999.00 plus $15.00 extra shipping. The adjustable sight is $295.00. If you live in Jersey don't for get the 6% tax!

You won't find it listed at their web site. Get a copy of Shot Gun News.

Not bad prices seeing how I've seen lowers go for $700-$800 bucks and barrel alone for $200. Hope this helps.

Wonder what their M1A1 kits are like?

Take care,

Bill

Chopper,

Yes, a milled grip mount. Barrel is a nice dark blued/black finish. Forgot to mention even has the breech oiler! No mags come with the sets.

Again, I hope this helps. If you can't get a copy of Shot Gun News, e-mail me and I'll send you the item numbers to order the goodies by. Much cheaper to buy the complete set than bits and pieces. Which is another way they sell them, by groups ( barrel and comp., complete lower, complete buttstock, etc. ).

Take care,

Bill

Here's a link to someone selling theirs.Saw this just a few ago.I'd try getting one from IMA first.Save some bucks. Oh, it's not me either. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif

1928 parts kit

Hi, Grumpy,

Very cool! Congratulations. . .

It sounds as though your kit wasn't greatly messed with before it was demilled. I'm curious: are the sling swivel and upper buttplate tang screws round (pan) or flat headed?

I had originally ordered a 28 lower and complete buttstock assembly for

my future semi SBR config from IMA back in August. (Hey I keep hoping

to get it) But, when I saw what PK could do with the semi lower, I canceled

the original 28 lower to save it for one of you lucky guys who actually have a real 28.

I got the buttstock last night. Actually I got two buttstocks. This confused

me as I stared at the bubble wrapped package. Upon opening it, I can only

guess that they included the 28 stock w/o metal but with the reinforcing bolt

because the other 28 stock w/metal but w/o reinforcing bolt has a huge crack

running from the underside front to the second screw hole. The metal was not

in "excellent" condition as I was informed by IMA. In fairness they said they

"expected" it to be in excellent condition, guess expectations where not met.

Something interesting though. The rear stock sling attachment had a part of a

sling attached. It was about 1-1/4" wide and was attached by looping it through

the sling attachment and tightened with a metal band. Khaki in color.

I think this is going back. I will probally break down and buy one of TommyGunner's

stocks with his excellent slide attachment.

Cheers

Kenneth

Hi Guys,

Good luck Chopper!

TSMGguy, the screws in the buttplate are flatheads. The ones in both the foregrip and buttstock swivels are pan ( slightly rounded ) head screws.

Kenneth, 3, 4, maybe 5 years ago, can't remember, IMA was selling '28 complete buttstocks with NOS wood. What I got was a British modified early stock ( screws in place of a crossbolt, and swivel moved to the top. With some beautiful wood inletting! ) with all the metal. Plus a unissued crossbolted stock! Think I bought 2. British stocks were in really good shape.

Take care,

Bill

TSMGguy,

Need to revise my info to you. The screws in the buttstock are flatheads. But the screws holding the sling swivels are the correct oval head type.

Not pan like I said. Brain locked-up there for a minute. My bad.

Thanks PK !

Bill