Colt Vertical Grip on GB?

I can also add that another board member discovered there are dimensional differences between a Colt and a military. The military is longer at the top along the mount, toward the breach end, not much but enough to notice. I do not have a military one to get the actual dimensions to compare with one on my Colt's, sorry.

>I always liked this thread, go to post #40 on page 2 for pictures.<

In this series of pics, the Colt grip is on the left in pics #1 and #2, but in pic #3 the Colt is switched to the right and then it appears they are back the other way in the last two pics.

I did an experiment and enlarged the pics in the add, printed them out. In the prints the pictured grips are slightly off from the same size as a correct Colt grip, but very, very close and when the Colt gip is laid over the pic the various contours are extremely similar. Color and texture of the wood of the grip in the add are compromised by the photography but appear to be very similar to the Colt. If this is a repro it is virtually the same as a Colt grip in all details but it is clearly not a WWI grip. Aging and wear look genuine as well. If not a Colt, I'd like to know who made it and when. FWIW

Wish there were more pics on GB, three just does not cut it. That being said, it certainly looks "vintage" and not one of those poor repros but I have seen some Savage grips that looked a bit more like the Colt in profile for whatever reason. Should be interesting to see what it goes for in 5 days.

Agree with Paladin, the grain and the finish on the E-Bay grip doesn't look right and looks more like modern wood and finish, even though the grip is worn and scuffed. This is one of those times that you just need more detailed photos to make a positive I.D. If you look at the 3rd close-up photo on the Gunbroker add, you can see the wide wood grain Paladin questions.

Lets compare it to a known Colt grip. Here are a couple close-up photos that I took of the vertical grip on Colt Navy Thompson #3363, the Dillinger gun located at the Racine Wisconsin Police Dept. To me the grain looks completely different. By seeing the price that it sold for the buyer must be convinced that it's an original. I would have needed much better photos before making an offer. Perhaps when the buyer receives this grip he might be willing to share some pictures of the grip so we can have a better look.

Mike Hammer

Colt Vertical grip 2.jpg

Colt Vert Grip 1.jpg

Agree with Paladin, the grain and the finish on the E-Bay grip doesn't look right and looks more like modern wood and finish, even though the grip is worn and scuffed. This is one of those times that you just need more detailed photos to make a positive I.D. If you look at the 3rd close-up photo on the Gunbroker add, you can see the wide wood grain Paladin questions.

Lets compare it to a known Colt grip. Here are a couple close-up photos that I took of the vertical grip on Colt Navy Thompson #3363, the Dillinger gun located at the Racine Wisconsin Police Dept. To me the grain looks completely different. By seeing the price that it sold for the buyer must be convinced that it's an original. I would have needed much better photos before making an offer. Perhaps when the buyer receives this grip he might be willing to share some pictures of the grip so we can have a better look.

Mike Hammer

Thanks Mike for the picture and good lighting, those 2 picture are exactly what I was trying get across. the closeness of the grain is the old growth Walnut. As the walnut diminished towards the beginning of WW2 the grain got wider, with some streaking of sap wood.

original to me, and i can say 580 was a real deal!!

there is a small thing that many Thompson owner can note on their vertical grips, or at least is what ive spotted on the original ones i could review,

if you check the tail area, you can see how the grip is not ending "straight", instead it has that particular design you can see in the photo below. This can be found either on Colt and Savage..

I also tried to replicate the same angle of the last picture using my colt laser scan, and it appears to be the same..

hope i had seen this post one day before so i could bid :D

http://i65.tinypic.com/pnl7r.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/ivbujc.jpg

Edited by Joseph_T

judging by the price sold my guess is not too many people thought it was original.....otherwise the bidding would have been higher...ive seen a beat/cracked & repaired Savage grip sell for more 6 months ago

i would have considered bidding on it just to have it...but if there is any doubt then your buying a piece of nothing.....too bad Colt didnt mark them

If it's a reproduction, it's very good. I will admit that I bid $425 but was just not confident enough to go any higher and $425 made me a little nervous I wont lie.

I was the one that won the auction. My bid was based on the fact that I knew it to be an original Colt Thompson grip. I'll post additional pictures comparing it to other original grips when I receive it.

I was the one that won the auction. My bid was based on the fact that I knew it to be an original Colt Thompson grip. I'll post additional pictures comparing it to other original grips when I receive it.

Congrats! I will say that 15 minutes of talking Colt grips with Gijive will pay for the price of admission to the Thompson Show and Shoot! I learned a lot last year and have lots more to learn.

Ron

Edited by ron_brock

I believed it to be legit as well. I bid first and watched it all the way. When Monday came, I realized I had no use for the thing. Nice pickup, Chuck. Any idea what the SN was on the '27?

Mgbug

Thanks, Bug.

Actually, I never read the description of the item, just looked at the pictures. Read too many comic books as a kid, I guess. I'll contact the seller and ask him. Thanks for the "heads up".

Very cool gijive, I think you did good, looking forward to the pics. There was an "S" marked grip on GB for the second time with a buy it now for $400. It was located in Poland I think. I was toying with that one too but again just a bit nervous about the condition and where it was to be shipped from. When I looked again it was gone, he who hesitates. . .. Congrats again on the grip!