Colt Vertical Grip on GB?

Gijive, there was a link posted comparing front grips with photo comparisons. Some of the photos do not come through. Anyway possible to start a vertices grip tutorial? All the info in one thread with photos. How do we know what details to look for in a colt, a repo, a 1928 GI.

Gijive, there was a link posted comparing front grips with photo comparisons. Some of the photos do not come through. Anyway possible to start a vertices grip tutorial? All the info in one thread with photos. How do we know what details to look for in a colt, a repo, a 1928 GI.

ppgcowboy,

I did one several years ago, maybe it is time to update it for new members. I'll put something together when I get the new grip. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks Huggy, That helps, I guess I should have asked about the rest of the wood. I have some sitting around and am trying to figure out exactly what it is.

gijive a dedicated thread would be awesome.

Bug,

I received some information from the seller about the gun that was destroyed, unfortunately, it is kind of a sad story for us Colt Thompson fans. The gun was an attic find and a turn in to law enforcement. The seller of the grip was contacted by an officer about the gun and he was able to retrieve the front grip before they destroyed it. It was apparently an unregistered gun and he didn't think to look at the serial number. He also made an offer on the parts and they were not interested, all he salvaged was the front grip.

Huggy,

The Colt butt stocks did not have a number stamped on the slide hardware, just the wood and butt plate. The three matching numbers are unique to the very early Savage guns like the one you own. Savage had a couple of different font styles and stamping locations during the run of their guns. The different styles were obviously from different manufacturing runs of the rear grips. The original factory Savage made butt stocks had slightly smaller dimensions than the replacement stocks. Original early butt plates don't fit properly on the later fatter replacement stocks without control number stamped in the wood.

ppgcowboy,

Post some pictures of the wood you have, we'll try to help you out.

i have (2) correct buttstocks for my early S, but do not have one where all 3 numbers match...i got one from Sandman with matching # on the back and back plate...very minty....i just put the sliding hardware in that has no number...i did find someone from this forum who had the 3 # matching set, but the price was overboard(double $) for me and i decided being anal wasnt worth hundreds extra for 1 more number....special thanks to Sandman for supplying me with my pistol grip and buttstock....i never did find another correct pistol grip and he just happen to have 1 that didnt match his others in his stockpile!...good guy

i am 100% in the market for a correct, non drilled, non damaged early S grip though....ill keep mentioning it until i find one....mine is correct if my gun had went to england, but it has no markings and until i get my FOA i wont know for sure, but id assume all English thompsons would have been stamped

my gun will never be 100% correct because of the barrel, but i can eventually make it as correct as possible.....i assume when sold it will increase the value and speed up the time to sell...i dont think ive seen another early S for sale from the 1st 10,000 made like mine in the past 12 months of looking.....ohhh yea there was one here in WI that had no original parts in it and was asking thousands too much......a bit of an abortion of a gun...think it was even had a fake lower that was stamped to make it a # matching.....high quality

Edited by huggytree

Huggy,

Some of the very early Savage guns may have had some unstamped Colt vertical grips on them, but the time of your serial number range would more likely have the S stamped front grip. The very early Savage grips and the Colt grips are almost identical, so a Colt grip might tide you over until you find the real thing. They are tough to find though, since most were used up in the war.

What stampings are you looking for on a gun sent to England? Many Thompons were imported back into the back in the late 1950's and early 1960's that would have the English proofs but those would also have the importer's mark somewhere like Numrich markings or similar. If your gun has no markings it was likely a police gun.

no markings on my gun....

i always assumed a police gun....i assume its a Savage commercial....im starting to believe its not real that Savage commercials had colt parts inside....i think people open up the lower frame and saw nickel parts and assumed Colt.....just like some of you have mentioned my gun could have in it....i know of another member here who has similar parts in his and verified it is also all marked S, even though silver colored like a Colt.......maybe TD can verify if he ever saw a early S that actually had Colt parts in it?....my assumption is they needed a police gun, they just grabbed one off the rack....they didnt build the police gun to different standards than a gun being shipped to England

my FOA hopefully will shed light on it...hope to see it before i die?

2-3 years pretty norm for FOA??? ive got (3) of them sent in to see where my questionable guns came from..

im fine with the wood i have on my gun....its all correct except for a swivel...a bit annoying as you need to push it back for your hand to wrap around the grip....i dont want a colt for it.......ill wait and eventually everything seems to show up

Edited by huggytree

• 3 weeks later...

All,

As promised, here are some pictures of the grip that was auctioned on Gunbroker recently. The grip was dirty and very dry, probably from being stored in an attic, and just needed cleaning and a little Boiled Linseed Oil to bring it to life again. Below are some pictures of it after cleaning. I even received the original Colt attaching screw with it.

Further on down are some pictures of a very nice Colt era grip with a British Broad Arrow marked Enfield swivel that Board member Colt Chopper found at the Michigan Antique Arms Collectors gun show this past weekend in Novi, MI. The American Thompson Association had a display there and Colt Chopper came up to see the show. By the way, he got a very good buy on the grip pictured. I believe that this example lends credence to the theory that some very early Savage Guns may have had some Colt wood attached. This grip came out of Canada. Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Grip-1.jpg

Gunbroker Auction Grip

Grip-2.jpg

Gunbroker Auction Grip

Colt Chopper grip from Michigan Show

IMG_0477.JPG

IMG_0478.JPG

IMG_0479.JPG

IMG_0480.JPG

IMG_0481.JPG

IMG_0482.JPG

IMG_0484.JPG