Feinstein Defeated

From the Houston Chronicle

Sept. 7, 2004, 11:17PM

Renewal of assault weapon ban shot down in Senate

With president on the sidelines, its sponsor says, bill has no chance

By GEBE MARTINEZ

Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON - The fight to renew a favored ban on assault weapons effectively died Tuesday after the lead Senate sponsor of a bill to continue restrictions on the sale and manufacture of some semi-automatic weapons conceded defeat.

"Absent the president twisting arms, it's nil," said Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., of the chances to get a bill passed before midnight Monday, when the law expires.

President Bush has indicated he would sign an extension of the 1994 law if Congress got it to his desk. But Bush has not asked the House to pass it, and congressional Republican leaders, including House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, R-Sugar Land, have refused to bring it to the floor for a vote.

A survey released this week by the University of Pennsylvania's National Annenberg Election Survey in Philadelphia found that 68 percent of Americans want Congress to extend the gun law.

But gun manufacturers already are marketing military-style firearms in preparation for the rollback of the weapons law, according to a study released Tuesday by the Consumer Federation of America, a nonprofit collection of 300 consumer groups.

The consumer group interviewed gun industry experts and marketing representatives and surveyed manufacturers' catalogs and Web sites. At least one company offers a nonrefundable prepayment option to those looking for a head start.

As a result, "assault weapons are going to be more lethal and less expensive," said Susan Peschin, firearms project director at the federation.

Earlier this year, 52 senators voted for the ban on manufacturing 19 types of semi-automatic rifles and shotguns and on ammunition clips holding more than 10 rounds. But it was part of a bill that was later defeated.

While some House members are expected to try to attach the ban to another "must-pass" bill this session, a pragmatic Feinstein said the fight is over for now. She vowed to re-introduce an assault weapons ban next year.

"If the president says he's going to sign the bill — and that indicates he supports the bill — but he does not do anything to help it pass, the bill will fail," Feinstein said.

Nonetheless, groups continue to campaign until the deadline.

For example, the National Rifle Association gun lobby warned on its Web site that it "cannot take anything for granted." It vowed to "pull out all the stops" to make sure the ban isn't renewed.

Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, questioned the effectiveness of the current ban and said supporters of gun owners' rights fear a new law might overreach "to all kinds of hunting rifles. Automatic weapons are banned already."

gebe.martinez@chron.com

I said it once, and I'll say it again:

"Hey Fienstien,BOO-F@#KING-HOO!!!"

You lose! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif

At the momemt, no one in the USA makes me want to go out and buy a machinegun, bazooka, some hand grenades, hell, even a tank, more than that f**king bitch!!! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/mad.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif

Let's not assume that this is a done deal! Feinstein & Company (Barbara Boxer, Schmuck Shumer, Fat Teddy and, of course, the Evil Bitch Herself -- Hillary) are just waiting in the wings to take center stage when the timing is propitious (say, if Kerry.. God forbid..gets elected, or when Bush's next four years are over).

Don't kid yourselves: they'll be B-A-A-A-C-K!!

And they want your guns...

From AW Sunset:

In a Houston Chronicle article yesterday, Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) admitted that her signature legislation, the so-called "assault weapons" ban, has no hope of being renewed, and is looking to next year to try for a new ban.

"'Absent the president twisting arms, it's nil," said Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., of the chances to get a bill passed before midnight Monday, when the law expires."

The article then goes on to say, "While some House members are expected to try to attach the ban to another 'must-pass' bill this session, a pragmatic Feinstein said the fight is over for now. She vowed to re-introduce an assault weapons ban next year."

We are on the cusp of victory... but we still need to make our view on this issue known to our elected officials RIGHT NOW. Even if you called the White House, your Senators, and your Representative yesterday, call again today AND tomorrow! The anti-gun side has been worked up into a frenzy over this, and the misleading editorials are coming in at a furious rate.

For every anti-gun person who calls one of their elected officials in support of the ban, a dozen of us will call in opposition to it!

Next week, we can pat ourselves on the back, then get down to the next task of working towards ensuring the November elections maintain a Congress uninterested in imposing a new ban, and a White House unwilling to push for it.

There may be a way to educate the general public about how cosmetic and worthlesness the AW Ban really is. Has anyone ever thought about taking a series of photgraphs of legal preban (but made illegal to manufacture by the ban) assault weapons and pictures of a half dozen look alike post ban weapons, some of which have had compliant modifications made, and then ask the viewer to identify which guns are the illegal guns? (all of which would be legal guns of course) Wouldn't that reveal, in a way the non-gun community could understand, the absurdity of this legislation and any attempts to renew it.

Just a few short days left until I can install a proper Bayonet Lug Gas Block!! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

http://images.andale.com/f2/116/123/11242007/1096248130981_akbayonet.JPG

DDAY,

My understanding is that if the magazine was produced before the 1994 AWB took effect,then it may legally be sold.That is why we can still purchase 20 & 30 rd Thompson mags that were produced "PRE-BAN".

REISINGSTAR http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Lionhart,

Thanks for all your diligence and updates in this momentous event!

It's been a long time!

Zamm

Crow, I should think the very same setup as the photo above depicts, would be equally suited for a Thompson. However, rather than utilizing blue handle scissors, and blue duct tape, perhaps one with a black handle and tape would be more appropriate. I'm not aware of anyone currently performing this type of procedure, but perhaps PK could offer such a service! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Thank you everyone for the kind words. I'm like a Paul Revere riding through the forum alerting and updating my fellow Patriots. Together, we can and WILL make a difference! As others have remarked, and even though the Ban will sunset in just a few more days, our battle to keep our freedoms will not cease. I urge everyone hear to participate in the upcoming elections, and to try your best in educating others on these very important issues. Also, urge those who aren't registered voters to get registered! I'm 100% sure like most of you here, that another ban, a more restrictive one, will be introduced. WE must not allow ourselves to be defeated! We can ONLY accept Victory, and sticking together, we CAN win the battles ahead.

From SFGATE.Com

Congress will not vote on assault weapons ban expiring next week

APARNA H. KUMAR, Associated Press Writer

Wednesday, September 8, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(09-08) 20:26 PDT WASHINGTON (AP) --

Congress will not vote on an assault weapons ban due to expire Monday, Republican leaders said Wednesday, rejecting a last-ditch effort by supporters to renew it.

"I think the will of the American people is consistent with letting it expire, so it will expire," Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., told reporters.

The 10-year ban, signed by President Clinton in 1994, outlawed 19 types of military-style assault weapons. A clause directed that the ban expire unless Congress specifically reauthorized it.

Some Democrats and several police leaders said President Bush should try to persuade Congress to renew the ban. Bush has said he would sign such a bill if Congress passed it.

"If the president asked me, it'd still be no ... because we don't have the votes to pass an assault weapons ban and it will expire Monday and that's that," House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, R-Texas, told reporters later.

DeLay said the ban was "a feel-good piece of legislation" that does nothing to keep weapons out of the hands of criminals.

However, House Speaker J. Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., said he would consider allowing the House to vote on legislation only if the Senate acted first.

Appearing at a news conference, chiefs of police from the District of Columbia, Los Angeles, Atlanta and Seattle predicted an increase in violent gun crimes if the bans does expire.

"Our streets, our homes, our citizens and our police officers will face great danger unless the federal ban on assault weapons is renewed," said Charles H. Ramsey, the police chief in the nation's capital.

In March, the Senate voted to add the ban to a bill that would have immunized gun manufacturers from liability suits stemming from violent gun crimes. But the Senate voted 90-8 against the final bill after the National Rifle Association urged its defeat.

NRA executive vice president and chief executive Wayne LaPierre said in an interview with The Associated Press that his group is so confident that Congress won't renew the ban that it is not spending any more money on ads this year opposing it.

He said supporters of the ban could not muster the support needed to bring it to a vote in the House because several Democrats attribute losing their majority in the House in 1994 over votes then in favor of the ban.

just read this in this mornings paper ( wich, by the way, was chock full of articles saying how the end of life as we know it was about to happen on Monday, with the dropping of the AWB).

Does anyone know ( Walter, fellow New Yorkistanians), that New York State seems to have it's own assult weapons ban/ law since 2000, thanks to Sen. Schummer???

Does this bill encompass high capacity magazines (i.e. 50 round drums)....!!!! You mean after all of this, I still can't buy a new Kahr 50 rounder because I live in NY!? Say it aint so Mickey!!!

Zamm

Zamm and fellow New Yorkistaners,

Yep, you got it! The NY ban attempted to mirror the federal AWB. In NY we will not be able to possess the new hi cap mags or the new guns with all the features either. This does pose a enforcement problem IMHO. New guns can be traced to when they were produced...but...if there are no other markings or other identifying features added to the drums...how would they be able to tell? It is not like our Police officers all know the laws ins and outs cold either. On the possible lighter side...Artical 265 of the NYS consolidated penal law entitled "Firearms and other dangerous weapons" says, in my interperetation, that the term "assault weapon" does not include "a semiautomatic rifle, a semiautomatic shotgun or a semiautomatic pistol or any of the weapons defined in paragraph (d) of this subdivision lawfully possessed prior to September fourteenth, nineteen hundred ninety-four." I beleive that the federal law exemtps pre ban guns that were in that configuration BEFORE the ban...that is to say you cannot add a feature to a preban gun that was not present before the ban...the gun had to be complete or in kit form with all the features to be grandfathered. My read of the NYS ban say the TERM DES NOT INCLUDE GUNS POSSESED BEFORE THE BAN. I take this to say that as long as your gun was possesed before the ban, that once the federal ban expires, you can add the features you want. For example, a preban MAK90 can be fitted with an underfolder and all goodies as long as federal section 922® is observed. I would think my neighbor would put that collapsible stock on his sp1 right away.

Please do not take this as legal advice for I am not a lawyer and do not play one on the web or TV! Hopefully one of the more knowledgeable memebers of the board can shed more light on this.

Here is a link to the law.

Just my 02 FWIW.

Damon

Artical 265 of the NYS consolidated penal law entitled "Firearms and other dangerous weapons" says....

Does New Yorkistan define weapons that are "not dangerous"?! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/dry.gif

Maybe you guys in New York should stock up on "non-dangerous" weapons before they outlaw those also!

Norm

We could move to Free America and leave the fascists and commies behind!! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Also, we could find some politicians who think and act more like free Americans, instead of commisars and gulag guards!!! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif Regards, Walter

Norm,

nope...they are all dangerous in NY...even bb guns. Did you see the list of weapons there...unbeleivable!

Walter,

Sombody has to stay here and keep vigil and vote the commie's out! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/mad.gif

Damon