M1928A1 on Gun Broker

I found this while browsing GB. It's not bad at all but a bit overpriced in my opinion. The comp has been threaded, another, minor strike.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/851509653

Thompsons have been selling $18-21,000 for a while now. Im not sure, but I think the upper is refinished as its darker than the lower. Looks too clean. Typically the upper wears more than the lower.

I like that it says tommy gun on it.

If refinished I think its a $20,000 gun in this market.

Agreed pits are the pits (couldn't resist.) Just out of curiosity what is the scabbard worth? He pretty much throws it in as an afterthought with zero description and if it's original it seems like it might actually be worth something

Gun is a freaking boat anchor.Sad the Thompson community is now down to this for good guns or some that might even think this is ever fair....A mere 20 years ago some collectors would laugh you out of a show with that.and heck 40 years ago. It would not even get a first look...Every week we see another barf bag advertised....as historical. or rare. or the guns all here.or original in its true form.

Would be great to see

Crap boat anchor Thompson. kind of real junk. it might shoot not sure. Make a offer needs new home can't stand to own it anymore.

And yet some new blood clamors for me of these beasts....And chomps them up and says gimme more. Yes the Mighty have fallen.

I think this makes around ten in past year. Nick open the vaults....RON K.

Geraldo call AL. His Thompson awaits.

• Upvote 1

Believe me, i am not defending the condition or price of this gun - just making a technical point.

i think it is likely that this gun - or at least the barreled receiver and grip frame - underwent an arsenal

rework where the parts were shot-peened resulting in the uniform rough surface that is being attributed

to rust caused pitting.

Many years ago i was offered the job of remanufacturing about 900 M1 and M1A1 Thompsons which

had the receivers torched into three pieces, and the trigger frames cut into two pieces. In the course of sorting

and organizing the parts to see if the pieces over-lapped, etc. we found that at least 1/3 of the parts had the

rough surface finish as seen on this Gunbroker M1928A1 which was clearly a surface prep for parkerizing and

not rust damage because the inside of the receivers and trigger frames was like new as if they had been

shot peened while assembled, then taken apart and finished.

If you zoom in on the picture of the tail of the receiver the round contours at the back have no pitting at

all. If the overall bad finish was caused by rust the tail of the receiver would be rusty as well. Also, I would bet

that the inside of the receiver and trigger frame does not have the rough finish of the outside.

Bob

• Upvote 1

Bob its a Boat anchor. sure spend money to shave down some metal and refinish restore. Not just a quick sandblast and dunk in tank. cause it will still look like crap but prepare it correctly. {How would a guy like me know that. because i have talked with many in industry who did that work. and also did some carbines and Garands and fal receivers and guns when i worked at d.s. in the 90's.the prep the blasting. and the final finish. So i know that Thompson. is more work to make it look new again.Not some mere quick one day job.And some would want to make sure it would look like it was never touched.Inside and out.would it be worth to buy for $10 grand and spend another $3 grand to make it right sure. But to spend $20 grand and play with more bucks afterward Nope. And who wants pride of ownership when you shoot at the range the way that basket case looks. Not me and i am sure hundreds of others would feel the same.

I did this all on a quick coffee break ha ha

Hopefully a future buyer will research it all before he cuts any kind of check.The seller is just hoping.for STOOGE BUCKS....A wise man will Think first what he is getting into. The emotional purchase no longer makes it today with the costs being into the tens of thousands.A few thought about a $40 grand Colt purchase and how quick to get the $40 grand back if need be.And when you get older yep you think about those things.For the young bloods they might now, But most don't have $20 grand or $30 grand to piss away either.At least not on Thompsons that are well controlled by the GOV.

RON K.

back to the coffee.

But it has a knurled (dimpled) selector!

I'm not backing up this guys pricing, but a lot of it may be due to the pictures. May not be as bad in person.

But not $28K....

Today we learned that Ron has had parts sandblasted for him, thank you for your in-depth contribution to the forum

Oh man i did not know this was you're gun that you are selling.I really hate to hurt a new members feelings.

post-504-0-41983300-1579043794_thumb.jpg

Edited by colt21a

Bob its a Boat anchor. sure spend money to shave down some metal and refinish restore. Not just a quick sandblast and dunk in tank. cause it will still look like crap but prepare it correctly. {How would a guy like me know that. because i have talked with many in industry who did that work. and also did some carbines and Garands and fal receivers and guns when i worked at d.s. in the 90's.the prep the blasting. and the final finish. So i know that Thompson. is more work to make it look new again.Not some mere quick one day job.And some would want to make sure it would look like it was never touched.Inside and out.would it be worth to buy for $10 grand and spend another $3 grand to make it right sure. But to spend $20 grand and play with more bucks afterward Nope. And who wants pride of ownership when you shoot at the range the way that basket case looks. Not me and i am sure hundreds of others would feel the same.

I did this all on a quick coffee break ha ha

Hopefully a future buyer will research it all before he cuts any kind of check.The seller is just hoping.for STOOGE BUCKS....A wise man will Think first what he is getting into. The emotional purchase no longer makes it today with the costs being into the tens of thousands.A few thought about a $40 grand Colt purchase and how quick to get the $40 grand back if need be.And when you get older yep you think about those things.For the young bloods they might now, But most don't have $20 grand or $30 grand to piss away either.At least not on Thompsons that are well controlled by the GOV.

RON K.

back to the coffee.

I consider myself a young blood in this group and to be honest dropping 40k on a Thompson is unappealing and prohibitive when I also am looking at starting a family, paying for my house and living a life where my wife doesn’t divorce me for wasting all my money on one gun. The fact that I dropped 20k on a Thompson is crazy for many of my peers who are in their early 30’s and just getting done paying off college (yes they have good jobs). Full Auto Thompson’s and really all full auto buying is an older man’s game. Most of my peers are satisfied with taking a semi Thompson and making it an SBR due to FA prices. Those of us that can afford to get into the FA game are happy to get whatever is available which honestly hasn’t been that flush with many options. Had a WWII 1928 been readily available for 20k when I was looking l would have bought one. This gun has some red flags so hopefully someone just coming into the market will find something better or opt to wait. I can tell you though, buying into the full auto market these days for the young bucks has to be either a calling or you have to be lucky.

The rough finish is a coarse sand blasting with to high of pressure. Such as that used on exhaust systems or casting. Probably even a home Phosphate done on it as well.

A live gun with a reducer for blank firing, would never be allowed on a modern movie set. That is asking for problems.

Edited by Paladin601

Whether the gun in question was heavily rusted or heavily sand blasted doesn't really matter.

What matters is, it looks like shit.

Anyone disagree?

Jim C

I always feel sorry for the previous buyer(s) and the next one as well.

Before the internet it was a non verifiable trust issue.

Now we can compare and contrast very easily.

IMO this is a altered shooter grade 1928A1.

Nothing wrong with that.

Personally I'd pay about 16K tops considering the condition.

I'd rather have this than a mint Hurley.

Flame suit on.

I just bought an all original "beater" military 1928A1 for 20.

Edited by lightguy

That's the glory of capitalism - if you don't want it at that price, then don't buy it. But consider the alternatives. Last month posts were bemoaning the long-gone halcyon days of the SAR show in Phoenix. Back in my day.....I was buying 30-rd mags, blued and wrapped and darn near perfect, for $5 each. And there were crates full of them. Cut receivers for $100. STENs for a grand, the list goes on. They ain't making WWII Thompsons anymore. And, unlike the classic cowboy guns, there's no Uberti replica as an alternative. A dad phrase: That's all there is and there ain't no more. How often do you see a good quality TSMG at a reasonable price? What you're looking at is the current market. It's not pretty (in any sense of the word), but it's what we've got. Once we boomers start dying off, the good stuff will start appearing again. But until then, it may be slim pickin's for a while.

(This opinion offered free of charge but worth twice that.)

Has this been used for blanks? Movie prop perhaps?

Most likely it has been used for reenacting which is reason enough to avoid it, god knows what else has been done to it. Mostly likely the chamber area will be damaged from hot blanks.