Picked up a M1 Carbine today

K,

I assume your wanting to see the incorrect plate that was on the gun.

The seller did some searching and determined it was made for a post WWII

Howa carbine used by the Thai Police.

I've since purchased the correct early Inland diagonal checked plate.

Darryl

20160117144351-9721.jpg

Edited by darrylta

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you can try to see the receiver area under the rear sight spring, original flip sights are not usually staked in as were the later adjustable rear sights. No sign of staking is a good indication the flip sight is the original and not a "corrected" carbine.

Roscoe,

There actually should be two small chisel (not punch) stake marks on the right side of the flip sight on the front and back edges of the dovetail. This is common on early Inland Carbines and is not a sign that the sight has been replaced, Of course there should be no punch mark staking on the top of the dovetail, that is indicative of a replacement adjustable sight.

Darryl,

Nice looking early Inland, looks all correct. I have a February '43 Inland that was a Vet bring-back. Not as nice as your, though.

Here are some pictures of the chisel stake marks on early Inland flip-sight Carbines.

Inland Feb 43-3.jpg

Inland February 1943 barrel date.

Inland Feb 43-1.jpg

Inland Feb 43.jpg

Inland May 1943 barrel date.

Inland May 43-2.jpg

Inland May 43-1.jpg

Inland May 43.jpg

Edited by gijive

Chuck,

I'll have to take a closer look at my Inland. I don't remember any pronounced chisel or punch

marks on the flip site. My barrel is marked 06/42.

Very interesting, here's some seller photos of my Inland.

It does look like one corner has been struck, somewhat?

Darryl

20160117144259-8890.jpg

20160117144235-1393.jpg

20160117144237-7758.jpg

20160117144238-7186.jpg

20160117144240-8557.jpg

Darryl,

It is difficult see any marks from the pictures you have, a close inspection would be warranted when you receive the gun. I have never inspected a Carbine as early as yours, it is entirely possible that during the earliest production no staking was done to keep the sight from drifting. It might be something that they determined was possibly an issue later on and began staking the sights in later production. The two guns I pictured are only months apart and both have the identical factory stake marks in identical locations. I have seen close-up photos of Carbines from other contractors that appear to have the same method of keeping the sight from drifting. Your gun looks all original, it may be something they added later as a result of trial and error.

Great photos. The stake marks I was referring to were the large punch marks used with the adjustable sights. Tell tell indicator that the adjustable sight has been removed and replaced with a flip sight.

If you can try to see the receiver area under the rear sight spring, original flip sights are not usually staked in as were the later adjustable rear sights. No sign of staking is a good indication the flip sight is the original and not a "corrected" carbine.

Roscoe,

There actually should be two small chisel (not punch) stake marks on the right side of the flip sight on the front and back edges of the dovetail. This is common on early Inland Carbines and is not a sign that the sight has been replaced, Of course there should be no punch mark staking on the top of the dovetail, that is indicative of a replacement adjustable sight.

Great photos. The stake marks I was referring to were the large punch marks used with the adjustable sights. Tell tell indicator that the adjustable sight has been removed and replaced with a flip sight.

Roscoe,

Roscoe,

Right, I knew what you were referring to. Just thought you might enjoy seeing how the original flip-sights were staked.

Edited by gijive