1921 Tsmg Approx Worth?

I am trying to determine the approximate value of Auto Ordnance 1921. The gun has an Auto Ordnance L Drum with it and and a photocopy of the original registration papers from the department that purchased it. The serial number is in the 2000's. The finish is approximately 95%. The bolt has a chip at the bottom. The other issue is that the original purshcaser used an electrical pencil to put an inventory number on the gun. It is locatated on the left side near where the barrel installs in the reciever. The orginal number was scratched out at at some point when they re inventoried it and second number is scratched underneath.

What is something like this worth?

thanks

$6,000.00 as part's wink!! and a whole lot more as complete....gun.....along with the scratches and chipped bolt............$8,995.00.......however to the purist thompson guy.................$100,000.00 however don't sell it.{and lose money}just oil it up put it away for ten year's and ask about $500,000.000........since the way everybody talks about these............the holy grail is worth much less........

the thompson go's up about 5% each week now..so you can never lose.never sell short.....or pay too little too soon or too early or whenever something like that.......

wink!!wait a few minutes and you will get a real valid price.....see the way it keep's going they will be too valueable to ever sell.........

so you will be stuck with it...till death do us part!!

you think you know already what it's worth by reading all the info here.so make a educated guess,and then do what you want..and have fun.....take care,ron

Its hard to tell without photos of the gun and see what you are talking about when you say the number have been removed and what has been done to the gun.

Can you get good photos?

Bolt has a chip at the bottom????

QUOTE (Ron A @ Feb 18 2005, 03:23 PM)
Its hard to tell without photos of the gun and see what you are talking about when you say the number have been removed and what has been done to the gun.
Can you get good photos? 
Bolt has a chip at the bottom????

Here are some pics.

http://www.alansamuel.com/images/forsale/th.jpg

http://www.alansamuel.com/images/forsale/th_bolt.jpg

http://www.alansamuel.com/images/forsale/th_cutts.jpg

http://www.alansamuel.com/images/forsale/th_inv.jpg

http://www.alansamuel.com/images/forsale/th_serial.jpg

hurry hurry somebody snap this bad boy up!!heck parts kit $6,000.00 original marked up defaced receiver,$17,569.54,and real varnished wood........$1,400.00.and a rubbermaid container to boot.along with chipped bolt,,just minor dental work on that, a few thousand buck's, braces and a pain-killer...

about $25,000.00 should do it...they are writing the check's now...watch the mail-box soon...

don't be alarmed another will turn up they always do...wink!!good luck in the sale.unless you just bought that from a p.d for $5,000.00 and just wanting to know the moolah you just inherited upon a new sale in future..

you will find alot of help here...take care,ron

Bluker1, bolts are cheap to replace - under $100.00. So, if no other damage inside, the bolt damage is no big deal. I don't see where the two engraved numbers detract from the value much at all. If papered in the USA. then minimum of $25,000 and probably more. If it was me buying, I wouldn't give a second thought to the bolt (assuming no other internal damage) or the engraved numbers.

Everytime I see a class III with the hidden serial number I think maybe not registered? Of all the weapons I own, the class III ones are the only ones I "know" I can prove w/o a doubt that they belong to me. And no one can scam them out of me by stealing my number, and saying it was theirs and stolen... btaim

What are they selling it for, is always a good starting point..... I'm assuming that you don't own it and not have any idea of value.

QUOTE (Merry Ploughboy @ Feb 18 2005, 06:25 PM)Wolf ammo = chipped bolt.

Bawahahahaha!!

http://www.pregnancy.org/phpBB2/images/smiles/121liwlol.gif

And the busted extractor caused the bullet to lodge in the barrel....

If its in the USA with all thats wrong with it around 25-30K in todays market.

A purist ain't going to even want it so there goes the 35K and up prices. An average Savage (thats a nice little rhyme!) is selling for 20K+ so thats where I would guess it to be.

Good luck for you.

Thanks for all the feedback. The numbers were altered in photoshop so they are really there. I just wanted to know what the fair market value is before I pursued it further. Thanks again for all the quick responses. Edited by bluker1

I can see an asking price of 25K in today’s market - but I don't think it will be a fast seller. This one appears to be a shooter. I would want to bargain if it were me. If you lose out on this one, I guarantee better Colt 1921’s will come along in the future. If the wood is Colt wood, the refinish job will definitely affect the overall value. If it is not all Colt wood, well, the price goes down more. I agree with Arthur that the police etching job detracts from the price. A Colt bolt will set you back more than 100 bucks. I would be concerned about the chipped bolt. I would feel a lot better if a gunsmith gave the okay on this "problem." Something bad definitely happened to cause this. A replacement Colt barrel can be very expensive and receiver damage would be a big reduction in value. It appears someone removed or replaced the ejector at some point in time. I wonder if this happened because of the chipped bolt?

The type of drum that comes with this Thompson could also affect the final price, as many of the early drums are very expensive. Is the drum serial numbered? That would be a big plus.

I also suggest purchasing Tracie Hill’s book, Thompson: An American Legend, The First Submachine Gun. It is still in print and available for under a $100.00 – quite a bargain when you think about what you are going to pay for a Colt Thompson. Good Luck on this deal. If you post the serial number, I am sure someone on this board will be able to tell you the original purchaser. If you post two more digits, I bet I can guess who owned it first.