Inland M2 (Registered Receiver) Coming Up For Sale

Friend of mine is looking to sell his Inland M2 Carbine. It is a registered reciever, and I believe it is an original M2, since the reciever is stamped M2. I have not yet seen this gun. I will be going to see it late next week and take some photographs.

The gun is physically in the Tidewater region of Virginia. Besides all the standard photos showing receiver, barrel, bolt, stock markings etc and and SN, I will make a copy of the Form Four with seller's name redacted. Is there any info I should be on the lookout for that you die-hard carbine types would be interested in. The only reference I have is the M1CARBINE, 2d Edition by R.C. Larsen. I will see what else comes with the gun.

Since it is C&R eligible, it can go across state lines to a C&R holder. It is currently on a FORM 4, in a private owners name.

He is aware of current market values and this won't be a "steal".

Cheers

Sandman1957

Edited by Sandman1957

If you're game, Carbine enthusiasts will want to know every detail that is normally captured on a Carbine Club Data Sheet. Link is in the pinned post at the top of the page. This would mean complete disassembly of the Carbine, and I understand if this is not an option.

At a minimum, please record every marking you can see. This includes the barrel, the receiver ring, the serial number, any cartouches on the stock, and any markings in the slingwell. If he lets you take it partially apart, take a photo of the internals from each side, and a photo of the underside of the handguard.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

• 2 weeks later...

Went down an looked at the M2 on Thursday. Also looked at two other guns. Here are some photos, but don't have much time at the moment so this will be a very quick overview. (I used the "comprehensive guide M1 Carbine book by R.C. Larson as my reference).

Very nice Inland M2 Carbine. SN 7062493 which puts it in the "first" full production run done by Inland starting in April 1945.The barrel is dated 4-1945.

The gun is in overall pristine condition and the wood looks brand new. There are some mixed parts, and the hammer is not marked. I did fill out as much of the data sheet as I could, but since this was the first one I have done, skipped parts of the form simply because I was limited with time. The top hand guard is marked IW, the Barrell Band is AMCO, inside the sling well is marked IO anyway... see for yourself. I did not disassemble the bolt as I did not want to search for the plunger and spring...

Enjoy... Inland M2 Carbine 001.JPG Inland M2 Carbine 002.JPG Inland M2 Carbine 007.JPG Inland M2 Carbine 008.JPG Inland M2 Carbine 010.JPG Inland M2 Carbine 012.JPG Inland M2 Carbine 013.JPG Inland M2 Carbine 014.JPG Inland M2 Carbine 016.JPG Inland M2 Carbine 017.JPG Inland M2 Carbine 019.JPG Inland M2 Carbine 023.JPG Inland M2 Carbine 022.JPG Inland M2 Carbine 024.JPG Inland M2 Carbine 015.JPG Inland M2 Carbine 027.JPG Inland M2 Carbine 028.JPG Inland M2 Carbine 030.JPG Inland M2 Carbine 031.JPGInland M2 Carbine 032.JPG Inland M2 Carbine 034.JPG Inland M2 Carbine 035.JPG Inland M2 Carbine 037.JPG Inland M2 Carbine 038.JPG Inland M2 Carbine 040.JPG Inland M2 Carbine 041.JPG Inland M2 Carbine 042.JPG Inland M2 Carbine 043.JPG Inland M2 Carbine 044.JPG Inland M2 Carbine 045.JPG Inland M2 Carbine 046.JPGInland M2 Carbine 047.JPGInland M2 Carbine 048.JPG

Steve, looks good to me.

The hand stamped "2" would be correct on a early M2.

I have several hand stamped M1s, a 6,900,xxx, a 6,89x,xxx and a 6,7xx,xxx..

I like the late carbines whether M1 or M2.

Some of the parts would not be original , but its no big gig. Nice carbine for someone.

You didn't say the price.

Jim C

Jim, I don't know the asking price, nor do I know if he already has folks lined up. I was called in to inspect and photo it. I did the inspection,dis assembly and told a photographer where and what to photo. Anyone who wants to pm me their thoughts or get in line are welcome to.

Steve, looks good to me.

The hand stamped "2" would be correct on a early M2.

I have several hand stamped M1s, a 6,900,xxx, a 6,89x,xxx and a 6,7xx,xxx..

I like the late carbines whether M1 or M2.

Some of the parts would not be original , but its no big gig. Nice carbine for someone.

You didn't say the price.

Jim C

Jim,

Are you thinking the "2" is hand stamped? I think it's part of the roll marking.

David

David,

Notice how the "2" is ever so slightly below the "M" and there is a gap between the "M" and the "2".

With the machine stamp the "2" would be closer to the "M", and even in height.

Nothing wrong with a hand stamped gun every bit as valuable as a machine stamped gun.

Jim

PS. One more item.

If you check the CMP serial number thread you will find 3 M1 carbines sold thru the CMP.

These carbines would be hand stamped M1 carbines. Here is the serial numbers.

Steve's carbine is in the serial number group of hand stamped carbines.

PSS. Is there a crack in the front lip of the .U. bolt ???

Edited by jim c 351

For comparison purposes this is a 7,141,xxx inland M2.

Hand stamped M2's are not as valuable as roll stamped M2's all other conditions being equal. If some of the parts on an M2 are not correct it's really no big deal as the value lies in the receiver and it's markings. For hundreds of dollars it can all be corrected which is superfluous to the M2's value vs. and M1 in which correcting it can be cost prohibitive and easily drive the gun well above market value. HTH

20190210_0833281.jpg

David,

Notice how the "2" is ever so slightly below the "M" and there is a gap between the "M" and the "2".

With the machine stamp the "2" would be closer to the "M", and even in height.

Nothing wrong with a hand stamped gun every bit as valuable as a machine stamped gun.

Jim

PS. One more item.

If you check the CMP serial number thread you will find 3 M1 carbines sold thru the CMP.

These carbines would be hand stamped M1 carbines. Here is the serial numbers.

Steve's carbine is in the serial number group of hand stamped carbines.

PSS. Is there a crack in the front lip of the .U. bolt ???

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your insight on it. That's the best hand stamped "2" that I've seen.

I see what you're talking about on the bolt, but I'm not sure it's cracked.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

If you are talking about the longitudinal line in second bolt picture, then you are seeing the feed ramp on the bolt.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/bolts.html

Scroll to second and third blue background pictures.

I would be interested in good pictures of the lug areas on the receiver, headspace measurements and muzzle erosion numbers.

Great link you posted on the carbine, I will see what I can do with the photos. I do not have any gauges, feel free to send me some and I will return them to you. PM me if you are interested and I'll send you may address and contact info.

Edited by Sandman1957

Very Nice M2. I have an inland M2 that is refinished, and a WIN M2 overstamp that is original. I would be interested in what the selling price is just for info, and originals do not come up that often. As a data point, here in MN ( C&R only state) back in 1968 the Minneapolis PD had a fairly large quantity of M1 carbines they converted to M2s, ( concern over riots etc) and these were registered in the Amnesty. Later in the 70s, they were sold off to officers, and these are considered C&R and amnesty registered. They pop up here once in a while, although I have not seen one for sale in several years. Also, be aware that Rock Island Armory ( Reese Bros.) made a BUNCH of transferable M2s out of every M1 they could get their hands on prior to the May 86 law change. These were almost all over stamped "M2". these are NOT C&R, and this has caused us a bit of trouble over the years when guys here would buy them, and the gun would transfer on a form 3 to the dealer, but Not on the form 4 to a MN resident.

This M2 has been purchased by the dealer who asked me to post the photos. He intends to keep the final sale price private. I will send the sold info input to Sig so he can record the price, but divorce it from the SN.

I hope this thread continues so we can learn more about this gun. I got very good questions today about different parts, aspects etc. One was were M2 stocks marked with the circle P and the armory logo?

• 2 weeks later...

Some dealers stamped a 2 over the 1 when registering a receiver.

This is how M2 IBM, Underwoods ect. ,came to exist.

If the gun above is a Inland factory M2 it will be in the 6 to 7 million range.

Jim C

Not all overstamps are the product of the civilian market

My understanding is that many were done post WWII in refurbish

An associate has one his grandfather Amnesty registered in 68'

Grandad was a USMC officer in Korea, allegedly his personal rifle and an overstamp on a Winchester receiver

Frankly I roll my eyes at any discussion of correct guns when it comes to Carbines

almost all should be mix masters

The one dubious exception were those disbursed to Canada early on

Those were all I cut stocks, flip sights, ect and were eventually sold post war to the public. All are very early Winchesters, a bunch ended up sold back Stateside after Canuck laws changed straight up smuggled in usually by Canadian owners

There may be some of this within other Commonwealth nations but it's hard fact with the Canadians

The Brits were sent quite a few carbines as well very early, no clue what happened to the survivors

others were air dropped in Axis Europe

seem to recall the Aussies took some in as well

Anything in US stores mostly went through R&R post war where in everything ended up mixed up during the refit to the updated post war standard

correct guns are largely a fraud when it comes to carbines

Gentleman, Please understand this is coming from a carbine enthusiast point of view rather than that of an NFA guy as I am sure the points of collectability are different.

I am in no way making an attempt to disparage this carbine, I am just sharing what I see.

@JimC, please look carefully again where you got the 7270650 serial number, it is a Winchester and that range did have M1 carbines.

The serial range is not far out of line serial wise with Inland that it may have been a handstamp, however, I believe this to be a roll stamp.

If you look carefully you will note all the numbers are slightly shorter than the letters giving the appearance of being lower.

Very early in the 7M range, Inland was done with an M1 contract. Wound not make sense to keep hand stamping from a time perspective.

The only requirement of M1 or M2 marking was for the carbines going out the door of the prime contractor. All the Winchesters were overstamped. If you think you have a Winchester that does not have the 1 please take a very good look. sometimes it is well covered by the 2. If you truly think you have a non-handstamp Winchester M2 I would love the opportunity to inspect some pictures.

The military did not use the designation on the receiver to determine what model it was. They used features alone. If it had a selector switch it was an M2. When they converted an M1 they did not overstamp a 2.

Most m1 carbines went through a rebuild. The M2s, converted or actual, saw a lot of action after WW2 and been through many overhauls. I suspect the receiver being a true M2 adds value in the NFA world, However, it is clear that the carbine, on the whole, is not original as it left the factory.

It does have correct USGI parts for Inland M2s with the trigger housing, and selector.

The U round bolt with a hole in the bottom is a 50s USGI contract bolt for the rebuild programs. The slide is believed to be made by High Standard Arms, though it has not been confirmed beyond a reasonable doubt. It would not have come out of the Inland factory.

The hammer is not USGI. The disconnector may be a foreign contract. Note the number 2 in the C. I have observed other numbers in a C on disconnectors. I have also observed the same markings on recoil plates. We know these are post-war due to a slight design dimension change. This suggests the disconnector would be from the same manufacturer and time frame.

The stock is a late war style pot belly which has a distinctive shape to it. It was made by Overton for Inland. To some like myself has somewhat of collector value. If and when I get an M2 I certainly would want that stock for mine. Unfortunately, in my opinion, the stock has been devalued as someone added embellishments to it.

My conundrum of obtaining an M2 is that if a collectible receiver and on the odd chance of finding an original I would then be hesitant to shoot it. What fun is there to that. If I obtained an original barreled receiver I could just correct it to original parts. I doubt that would add value from an NFA point of view. It might also not be the best idea as it may not be the best combination for getting the timing just right. (unless you had access to many correct parts).

I once passed on a registered trigger housing because I was under the assumption that the ATF may take a dim view at some point as it is not one of the "Special" parts

Anyway my thanks to Dave for sharing this carbine with me.

• Upvote 1

Thank you for your insight. I will share that info with the new buyer. I am sure he will want to start the hunt for correct parts to replace the upgraded or foreign parts. An inland round bolt should not be too difficult to round up. Same for the hammer and possibly the disconnector. Send me any item you think we should change and we'll get that done.

Thanks again.

Sandman1957