Wilson MP40 gun question

I have looked a lots of pics online and I have seen that spoon type handle on other MP40's just wondering. I'm buying this one and it's my first MP40 so I'm trying to find out all I can about it. I spoke to Jim Wilson the other day and he was fantastic to talk to about these guns.

That is pretty neat. Is he 'the' Wilson? You won't be disappointed. They run like a Swiss clock. Looks to be made with an early parts kit with the straight magwell and early cocking handle. Nice find!

Yes he is!! I was doing lots of online research about these tube guns and came across Wilson Arms in Ga. called the number and Jim Wilson answered. He was more than helpfulll with this gun and the history behind all these various tube guns and the others who put them together too. He was wonderful to talk to and after I got off the tele with him I commited to buying the gun. Most all online feedback about Wilson guns is positive anyway but getting my questions answered by Mr Wilson was all I needed lol.

Just keep in mind that the slide safety cocking handles were retrofitted to MP38s, early Mp40s and then production guns allowing the bolt to be locked forward in the battery position.

A failing of the hook type of handle, common to many SMGs of the era an earlier, was that an MP that had a loaded mag inserted with the bolt in battery could accidently drop on its rear end with the stock folded or not or impacted with enough force at the rear for the bolt to "recoil" sufficiently to strip a round and fire that round. This kind of accident was not confined to MP38/40s. The Stoner LMG also suffered from that potential which actually did happen resulting in loss of some confidence in that arm.

Having repaired a couple dozen MP40 bolts where the sliding safety popped its rivet set in the bolt and fell out, so far I have not had to repair the hook type of cocking handle in any SMG, which also were riveted into the bolt. MP38/40s with the hook handle are scarce but repro hook handles are being made if someone wants to refit that style handle to their bolt.

You will really enjoy the MP40!!

Yes, the gun pictured has the hook handle that was used in early production of MP38s and in many other SMGs. Due to the issue of accidental discharge from carrying an MP38 with hook handle that had a loaded mag inserted and the bolt forward, a leather strap was issued. The strap had a loop to attach it to the receiver forward of the mag well and a small strap with a loop that fitted over the cocking handle, securing the bolt in the forward position.

Carrying the MPs with the bolt retracted and set into the safety notch left the ejection port open to dirt, debris, etc, etc which could foul the breech area. SMGs were mostly carried with the bolt in battery to keep the breech area clean.

FWIW

Just as an aside, the directive to convert MP-38 and MP-40 bolts to sliding safeties came out in early 1942. My bnz 41 MP-40 was so converted. It's easy to see the welding and machining done to the inside of the bolt during the conversion. Frank's book covers this conversion and has a nice photo. The safety on my converted gun has a 37 WaA stremple instead of the 815 and 623 inspection markings found on the rest of the gun. This welded in bolt handle will never become loose.

Right, there are reproduction hook type charging handles being offered out there, but the small half moon shape milled into the receiver to accommodate the sliding safety remains.

• 3 weeks later...