Clyde Barrow's BAR " Scattergun " Up close.

Most know Barrow's favorite weapon was the stolen 1918 BAR that he took from US Armories. We know of two that he cut the barrel off, down to the gas tube. ( NO, the Thompson was not in his personal collection ). He called them " Scatterguns " were intended for use in the 33-34 Ford. Not very practical, I've owned both.

One is still owned by the Missouri State Highway Patrol. Other, rumored to be with the FBI.

One of our Gun Hunter group, Sheriff Ern Hudson, has been invited to see it up close & personal. Plans are to take measurements, get serial number and any other info on it.

Doing some background checks on it now, there is some confusion on where Barrow left it. Joplin, Platte City or Dexter, all tremendous shoot-outs.

More to come, 3-4 weeks or so.

The original one, that's in Missouri SHP, is pictured here with the blue fabric background.

OCM

We have new evidence the original BAR in Missouri came from the Platte City battle- More on that ....

scattergun297.jpg

Edited by OCM
  • Upvote 1

This has the makings to be a great informative thread, thanks for posting.

Darryl

As normal with these 30s weapons, already getting some confusion on where it came from. The Jefferson City clan says Joplin, however the old records say they recovered a " Machine Gun " rifle there, later to understand it's a BAR. However, couple weeks later Barrow stole a " bath tub full " of weapons from the Enid Ok, US Armory, including a couple ( +) BARs. WD Jones says he saw Clyde cut down one or two to a scattergun.

We will get the serial #, however may not do us any good.

Trying to talk Sheriff Hudson to take along a 20 rd magazine I can loan him, see if he can convince the folks to take it to the range.....

I really enjoy reading and learning the details of surviving and documented gangster era guns--B&C, Dillinger, Lebman conversions, etc. As legitimate historical artifacts they deserve to be studied and documented. A collection of such reviews would make a good book.

Talked to Sheriff Hudson today, he's maybe leaving for Jefferson City in a week or two. Said I could send along one of my BAR magazines, can maybe at least insert it in the " scattergun" to say it was in Clyde's BAR. Did the same with a Thompson XX box magazine that belonged to Dillinger, borrowed it from the Washington DC Museum.... Just fun stuff.

( see attachment) Had to sign a form that I would not use it to shoot.

Also ( see attachment II ) a BAR magazine and stripper clip found in the death car, that was in our collection. I had loaned those to the Gerald Ford Museum and the Texas State Fair at one time or the other. These originally came out of the Bonnie & Clyde evidence file in Shreveport, LA. ( FBI)

OCM

stripclip.jpg

Edited by OCM

Sheriff Hudson got some information on police records on the Joplin BAR. According to the FBI file/police report, there were 5 weapons recovered, one being a " machine Gun " rifle, AKA a BAR. At the time the local police were not familiar with a military BAR, so it went down as a machine gun rifle. Soon it was figured out BUT no mention of it being a cut down version. Also, let it be known that a Police Thompson was mistakenly added as part of the Barrow collection.

This information was gleaned from the Chief of Police in Joplin in 1968 , saying the information was from various newspaper article of the time.

• 2 weeks later...

OCM,

For years I always thought Clyde's BARs were called "Whip Guns" - not "Scatterguns". Because they could be whipped out from under a trench coat from shoulder hanging by a short sling. Just another Urban Legend?

No, you are correct, but the "whippet gun: was a shotgun that he would hang under his coat from a leather belt he nailed to the butt stock. then he could " whip it out " In some of the common picture of the couple a keen eye can see it ..............( watch for the belt ). He cut the butt down and the barrel, nailed the belt on.

see attachment-

002 (4).jpg

Edited by OCM

Talked to Sheriff Hudson couple days ago, looks like the trip to Jeff City will be in about a week and a half. Some health issues got in his way. Plans are to still insert one of my BAR magazines in the gun, also get numbers, photos, dimensions. Still in limbo about where the gun was recovered, I'm still going with Platte City. Just a little update if anyone is following this.

He is due to come by here next week to pick up some WH parts and the magazine.

• 3 weeks later...

The trip to the Missouri State Highway Dept, to see the Barrow BAR may or may not happen now, due to the problems going on in Missouri. It depends on who is available to unlock the gun case in the display. Sheriff Hudson is out in Indiana now, and was expected to get to Jeff City about the first of next week. Only certain officers are allowed access.

( Up date) ...Looks like things are settling down a bit, Sheriff Hudson is due there Wed now- for the viewing.

( Up date II ) Sheriff Hudson got pictures, weights, measurements and some new information on the gun's originality . Have shots of my BAR magazine inserted in the Barrow gun- Will post when I get photos...

Edited by OCM

• 2 weeks later...

Some photos of retired Sheriff Ern Hudson and Clyde Barrow's BAR " Scattergun" with the front barrel cut off. One picture of my 1918 BAR magazine inserted in the Barrow BAR. The BAR doesn't have a magazine that came with it.

Cool stuff....

Note:

1) The checkering on the front furniture, goes under on BOTH side.

2) The Mo State Highway Patrol claims without a doubt the BAR comes from the Joplin raid. Unless we can find the paperwork from the Enid, Ok. Armory, with the serial #, we are stuck. The Enid raid was AFTER the Joplin shoot-out. This is where WD Jones said he saw Clyde cut the barrels off , from the Enid raid, this is BEFORE the Platte City shoot-out. So- ?

3) Trying to find out if the PD has ever shot this- Without a magazine ?

4) beautiful weapon.

Ern With Barrow BAR.png

Edited by OCM

Good looking BAR.

It is surprisingly good shape considering what it probably went through.

I would suppose the price of OCM'S mag has gone up in value.

Frank

I think there is one out there, where he tried to cut the butt stock down, just behind the gas tube. These were free guns, just experimenting with them.

Just kids, with a new toy, killing people.

Dillinger was a bank robber with a Thompson to scare people, Barrow & Nelson would shoot you where you stand.

OCM

I believe Jim C is correct here. As I remember it's a WWII front sight. Why ? Who knows might as well get a magazine for it to make it look real correct. I've seen one of his where he removed the rear sight too. At least this has the 1918 BAR rear sight still on it.