MAXXTech .45 ammo

Report from the Tusco shoot last weekend. It seems all who had this ammo and tried to use it had trouble with it. The problem is in their quality control. It is not properly crimped, and the thickness of the brass varies enough to cause failures to chamber. I try to show in the photo the stress placed on one of the out of the box rounds (on the left) by my Dillon taper crimp die. I reloaded nine of their cases, and the one on the right still fails to chamber. I use a loose 1911 barrel to check my cartridges for proper chambering.

MAXXTech.JPG

Love Dillon but I still us a Lee factory crimp die for the last stage of the reload process,and then a 45acp gauge to make sure they chamber.

I do not seat and crimp in the same stage.

The Maxxtech did run in my PK barrel (on the S-NAC-38 which is a 1928). I did 4 drum dumps (testing it).

I still have 1000 rounds. I do not like it, but the worst I have heard is 1 squib in 3000 rounds. That would cost me a PK barrel at the most. So I am gonna burn it up in the gun with the PK barrel on it.

Remember not to use it in unsupported chamber guns though. This cartridge has very weak sides down low by the base.

Do not use it in anything that has a fixed firing pin. I shoot LH, so it is a real concern!

I was getting rid of it too, now I will just use it for playing.

Edited by giantpanda4

Dont forget what happened to my M3 with this crap ammo last year......

Sympathies for your M3. What happened?

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20871&hl=maxxtech

I will never buy or trust it. Not just with concerns for any weapon, but after hearing of the many incidents; it's not worth any possibe bodily harm.

One or multiple of the Maxxtech warnings should be pinned in a few of the sections.

Andrew

The ammunition in question is out of a lot that was supposed to have been destroyed and wasnt. It was instead sold to a dealer who resold it to the Thompson community.

Going boom in an M1 Thompson, M3 Grease Gun, and then a Sig P227.....:yeah its not worth it.