I'm in the market for a 1928 Thompson SRB. My Thompson has a Crack in the reciever and can't be used anymore so now I'm just looking into getting a good quality Tommy gun.

First one I bought was a bust and so far this one is too, third times the charm!

What exactly is causing them to break on you? Are you rough on them? So you would be on number 3? I would have Dan Block look them over for you.

The first thompson I bought was a West Hurley 1927A1, I got a nice case for it and cleaned it all up from the last owner, which had let it rust away. Fixed up the internals and replaced the firing pin and springs and was beautiful but the finish wouldn't stay rust free, wouldn't chamber ammunition properly and someone offered a trade for it.

The 2nd one was a 1927A5 West Hurley, I've owned for all of 2 weeks and shot it once.I asked my gunsmith to swap barrels on it and said he wouldn't do it. There's a crack on the reciever where the barrel meets the reciever. Alloy reciever and what not, was recommended not to fire it again.

I love thompsons but been having terrible experiences looking for West Hurley parts or replacements through Kahr and an 80% reciever costs a ton of money right now.

I'll probably be using the 1927A5 as a parts gun if I can find a Kahr Pistol variant or detachable stock version.

That's what I was thinking but he's been on this earth longer than I have and does most of his gunsmithing work on Thompsons. I didn't think it was all that bad.

http://imgur.com/a/l1JeyI8

It's a crack that you can feel with your finger and runs from the tip of the reciver to the barrel. I thought it was just a scratch, but it's way too straight and yeah, to the barrel.

Yeah stated that's what I'm in the market for an SBR. I wouldn't mind getting a pistol as I already have a great barrel I don't want to waste.

But my next question is how hard is it to fit a older WH Thompson barrel to a Kahr Thompson and the removal/installation of the Kahr Barrel, as all their pistols are finned but not threaded for compensators.

Edited by Bayrain

That's what I was thinking but he's been on this earth longer than I have and does most of his gunsmithing work on Thompsons. I didn't think it was all that bad.

http://imgur.com/a/l1JeyI8

It's a crack that you can feel with your finger and runs from the tip of the reciver to the barrel. I thought it was just a scratch, but it's way too straight and yeah, to the barrel.

It does not look cracked at all to me form the picture you provide. It looks to me that it is the barrel alignment mark. I would listen to deerslayer and even for that matter send it to him to have it looked through and repaired if necessary. I just bought a West Hurley. but will not shoot it until I get it gone through and converted to SBR by deerslayer. I am still looking for parts and I agree stuff is very expensive in today's market, but you need to pay to play.

I don't mind paying the money, just kinda upset at the idea of buying another Thompson.

Deerslayer is a very busy person as well and this seems kinda silly or trivial compared to actual work he could be doing. If it's not a crack and just something stupid then I'd just want a barrel swap with one already purchased and then maybe a custom compensator idea my friend came up with haha.

I am waiting for deerslayer on mine as I want to get it SBRed and want to make sure it gets done right as I do not have the tools to modify it so I want it right so I am willing to be patient with it. I have heard a lot of stories with the WH and Kahr Semi's not firing right so I will wait and be patient to get it done right :) To each there own. I wish you luck no matter what you decide.

Yeah I've shot it once and put 150 rounds down range, my gunsmith would do a barrel swap and I'll probably ask him again just to do it anyway.

I had already completely field stripped it already and now the reciever is being used as a paperweight haha.

I just don't know the physics or math and science around grains and power and bullets exploding so forth and so on, didn't want to take the chance of shooting it one day and it just explodes.