Hello everyone! I spent a little time making small statistics from the data that I could find in various sources.

This is not a direct comparison of better / worse, no, just a few numbers.

I also plan to make comparisons with other SMGs.

If anyone has additions or comments, write.

moF9nySOSNA.jpg

EbRvDLvNLL4.jpg

M3RUw2FmFGI.jpg

zVwFdMv6Cw8.jpg

Edited by allweaponsww2

This is what I would state regarding the Thompson submachine gun:

Thompson: Model of 1921, Model of 1928/28A1 and M1/M1A1

Designed: 1919 - 1928; M1/M1A1 - 1942

In-service: 1923 to the 1970s (1923 date from Gordon Herigstad research of the US Marine Corps; 1970s date - I believe the M1 Thompson was active in the US Navy during Vietnam)

Designer: Model of 1921: Oscar V. Payne, Theodore H. Eichoff; Model of 1928: Oscar V. Payne, Philip P. Quayle; M1/M1A1A1: John Pierce, Nicolas L. Brewer (Savage Arms)

Manufacturer: Colt's Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Company, Hartford, Connecticut

Savage Arms Corporation, Utica, New York

Auto-Ordnance Corporation, Bridgeport, Connecticut

Number built: Approximately 150,000 to 175,000

I welcome all comments and corrections

This is what I would state regarding the Thompson submachine gun:

Thompson: Model of 1921, Model of 1928/28A1 and M1/M1A1

Designed: 1919 - 1928; M1/M1A1 - 1942

In-service: 1923 to the 1970s (1923 date from Gordon Herigstad research of the US Marine Corps; 1970s date - I believe the M1 Thompson was active in the US Navy during Vietnam)

Designer: Model of 1921: Oscar V. Payne, Theodore H. Eichoff; Model of 1928: Oscar V. Payne, Philip P. Quayle; M1/M1A1A1: John Pierce, Nicolas L. Brewer (Savage Arms)

Manufacturer: Colt's Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Company, Hartford, Connecticut

Savage Arms Corporation, Utica, New York

Auto-Ordnance Corporation, Bridgeport, Connecticut

I welcome all comments and corrections

T.D., you are a little low on the production numbers.

Yep, I missed the estimated production numbers by that much!

1.5 million to 1.75 million. Some estimate 2 million guns given the spare parts manufactured during WWII. However, I like how Frank Innamico in American Thunder II includes the spare parts, from documented sources, in the high end estimate of 1.75 million.

NOTE: General John T. Thompson did not invent or design the Thompson gun. He was the developer. He hired two very capable and talented engineers, Eichoff and Payne, who designed the Thompson submachine gun. General Thompson certainly had control of the project and made big picture decisions, but not the hands on day to day designing that resulted in this iconic American weapon. Same with George E. Goll; he certainly helped Thompson, Eichoff and Payne during this process, but again, would not be considered part of the design team.

Yep, I missed the estimated production numbers by that much!

1.5 million to 1.75 million. Some estimate 2 million guns given the spare parts manufactured during WWII. However, I like how Frank Innamico in American Thunder II includes the spare parts, from documented sources, in the high end estimate of 1.75 million.

NOTE: General John T. Thompson did not invent or design the Thompson gun. He was the developer. He hired two very capable and talented engineers, Eichoff and Payne, who designed the Thompson submachine gun. General Thompson certainly had control of the project and made big picture decisions, but not the hands on day to day designing that resulted in this iconic American weapon. Same with George E. Goll; he certainly helped Thompson, Eichoff and Payne during this process, but again, would not be considered part of the design team.

Thank you for the clarification! Yes, you are right. D.T. Thompson was never a designer of small arms, but his mind, enthusiasm and ability to unite other people played a decisive role in creating the TSMG! I could not help but include him in the "team" of developers! Without it, there would be no Automaton. I believe.
Mr Davis I got your books from Amazon and they help me learn the interesting story of Thompson Gun! Thanks you!
Edited by allweaponsww2