New AO M1(TM1) Owner with bolt locking issues.

Good day folks,

I was super stoked to get this bad boy out to the range when I first got it but got plagued with issues from day one. Main issue was bolt not resetting trigger. I am using reloads so I probably need to bump the grains as we all know the recoil springs are insanely tough. Will test out later today @ range with a well lubed gun and stronger ammo. So since I wasnt able to empy a mag @ range, I wasnt able to let the bolt locking happen. I can lock the bolt back no problem w/o mag, but when I try to do it with empty mag, its virtually impossible to get the bolt far back enough to catch. I feel like there's either something binding or the bolt lock with mag is intended to be done with a live round, as in maybe it gets the bolt back fast enough before something gets in its way. I was able to do it only once with an empty mag using what for me would be super human strength. Advise/suggestions on the bolt locking issue would be awesome, thanks! -Dave

I've noticed the problem with the bolt lock on empty mag with my new Kahr as well. I narrowed it down to the factory mags being tight beyond belief;. Specifically, the spring Kahr uses in their 20 round mags is TWICE as long as from an original mag, and I also noticed that the tab on the follower that engages the bolt lock is much taller than the OG. My OG 20 is easy to lock back, but the new one is near impossible (especially with the factory springs), and I noted that when drawing the bolt back the bolt lock lever in the magwell is depressed slightly, which in turn would put downward pressure on the follower of the magazine. Too tight of a mag spring (and bolt springs) and too tall of a bolt lock tab results in a ridiculous amount of force needed to lock open on an empty.

Sorry for the long winded reply, I was just figuring this out last night out of boredom.

I've noticed the problem with the bolt lock on empty mag with my new Kahr as well. I narrowed it down to the factory mags being tight beyond belief;. Specifically, the spring Kahr uses in their 20 round mags is TWICE as long as from an original mag, and I also noticed that the tab on the follower that engages the bolt lock is much taller than the OG. My OG 20 is easy to lock back, but the new one is near impossible (especially with the factory springs), and I noted that when drawing the bolt back the bolt lock lever in the magwell is depressed slightly, which in turn would put downward pressure on the follower of the magazine. Too tight of a mag spring (and bolt springs) and too tall of a bolt lock tab results in a ridiculous amount of force needed to lock open on an empty.

Sorry for the long winded reply, I was just figuring this out last night out of boredom.

Funny thing is I came to same conclusion last nite as I was fiddling with it (TM1) w/o recoil springs. I noticed that as the bolt goes over the PAWL, the trip lever pushes down on the tab of the mag follower. But the follower tilts as the pressure is being applied on the tab causing additional friction. This and the crazy stiff recoil springs, makes it impossible to lock. (I can lock it with empty mag and no recoil springs) I went with the McMaster spring option before messing around with the mags, should be getting here later today.

So gun locks fine on last bullet. The root of the issues I've been having with the misfeeds is the magazine applying too much upwards pressure. I have 2 30 rounders and one 20. The 20 works the best and one 30 just works like shit. The New recoil springs are awesome though tricky to insert. Anyone have tips on how to condition the mags? Leave em fully loaded for a while, etc etc?? Thanks.