"Modern" semi-autos will not fit a vintage GI mag. Modification of the mags or the catch is required. If you have a mag that fits your auto, you will notice that the catch hole is oval, not round. Using a Dremel, or similar tool, remove material from the TOP of the hole (nearest the feed lips) slowly, until the mag will lock in.

Alternate, modify the catch by filing the catch about 0.1" (2mm) until the mag will catch. This involves repeated R&R until correct.

The most positive of the second method is that ANY GI mag should fit, hopefully forever. Negatives: 1) removal of material affects structural integrity of the catch. 2) any future catch replacement will involve the same fitting.

MHO YMMV, Karl

• 2 weeks later...
Are you saying it doesn't protrude far enough through the hole to engage the magazine? I have seen that. It possible to observe where it touches the inside curve of the trigger guard and remove material from the catch so it will then engage the magazine.

• 1 month later...

I went through all that with mine too. Take a close (magnified) look at the channel where the spring goes, make sure there's no shavings left over from drilling and that the slot is uniform. Little things mean a lot here so take your time. As I recall mine had a slight ramp to it that I cleaned up and squared off which made a big difference. Good luck.