Value Of West Hurley?

I am fairly new to Thompsons, having just gotten my first(M1A1) last Dec. I have the chance to trade on a West Hurley gun in excellent condition, low 3 digit serial no. M1928, with Savage internal parts. I want to make a fair trade on both ends, and the present owner does as well. What is the approximate value of this gun? Besides posting on this board a private email would be welcome to mitch48@bellsouth.net http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/huh.gif

What I'm saying is I need to know the value of the W. Hurley gun. I have an M2 Carbine the owner of the Thompson wants, and I need to know the value of his gun so I can fairly make a trade. I don't intend to sell my M1A1, which is an Auto Ordnance. I was under the impression that some of the late W. hurley guns had problems, and this is a 3 digit SN early gun.

If the guy wants to trade your M2 for the WH, do it. Then I'll give you $6.500 for the WH. You'd make a couple grand over what the M2 is going for. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I also have a 3 digit WH 1928. If you get it, get rid of the WH buffer pilot, they come apart.

Number 1: Does the West Hurley run? Ask to shoot it with both drums and stick mags. If it works proceed to number 2, if it will not function reliably then proceed to Number 3.

Number 2: The gun works. Great. If the gun is in fantastic shape and almost new in the box (I hope he has the box) then value would run between 10-12K.

Number 3: The gun will not work. You will be required to spend between $1,500 and $2,500 getting the gun to work. The value will be between $8 and 10K. The last thing you want to do is spend 12K on a gun that wont work. A machine gun that wont run is like having a horse that cant walk. It looks pretty, but its f*&king useless.

Make the best deal you can. M2 carbines are no where near as desireable as any Thompson. Ammo costs more, they are only reliable when good magazines are used and most M2 stuff available today is NOT C&R.

Good luck for you