Poorly Running West Hurley? (for sale possibly cheap?)

Meeting up today to fill out my form 4. Got my picture and fingerprints taken care of yesterday! I plan on taking pictures today. I am on pretty good terms with my dealer. So, I should be able to accumulate some replacement parts and trouble-shoot along the wait time.

• 10 months later...

Great News!

If you haven't already acquired a replacement bolt, definitely be looking for the M1 version.

All the reasons for this have been much discussed, but the primary reason for an M1 bolt

is the additional protection from an out of battery firing.

Some have posted this isn't possible, or just doesn't happen (with fixed firing pin bolts),

so the Three times I've witnessed it must not have happened either.

When you get possession, take the trigger group apart.

All GI parts will have an letter or letters stamped on them, usually an S, square S, or AOC.

WH parts will be unmarked. The sear is the most likely WH internal part.

You for sure want to junk the WH cast mag catch and replace it with a GI.

I had a WH "M1", and am glad to share what I learned. Feel free to PM if you have questions.

For an M1 bolt, and other parts, I would check with Phil Askew on this board.

He always has quite an assortment of Thompson parts at TATA, and is a first class guy to do business with.

Edited by mnshooter

Great News!

If you haven't already acquired a replacement bolt, definitely be looking for the M1 version.

All the reasons for this have been much discussed, but the primary reason for an M1 bolt

is the additional protection from an out of battery firing.

Some have posted this isn't possible, or just doesn't happen (with fixed firing pin bolts),

so the Three times I've witnessed it must not have happened either.

When you get possession, take the trigger group apart.

All GI parts will have an letter or letters stamped on them, usually an S, square S, or AOC.

WH parts will be unmarked. The sear is the most likely WH internal part.

You for sure want to junk the WH cast mag catch and replace it with a GI.

I had a WH "M1", and am glad to share what I learned. Feel free to PM if you have questions.

For an M1 bolt, and other parts, I would check with Phil Askew on this board.

He always has quite an assortment of Thompson parts at TATA, and is a first class guy to do business with.

Thank you for the advice! I did purchase a parts kit off of gunbroker. I will have to try and post some pictures later. I am excited about it.

I made it out to the range yesterday and in my haste forgot to bring my parts kit. The gun ran pretty well with Remington, didn't like Winchester at all. We got it home, swapped out the bolt. I hope to get it back to the range today. Busy days at work and my son is getting ready for college. So, I hope to be able to get to the range again soon!

Right, step #1 is to swap out the WH internals with GI. The gun should then run fine with any 230 gr. factory loaded ball ammo. If it doesn't, engage one of the fine Thompson experienced smiths who read these pages. I wouldn't take the gun to anyone without extensive TSMG experience. We WH M1 owners have found that an approach involving replacing individual parts likely won't work as the guns can have problems that are deeper seated.

Edited by TSMGguy

What else should I try to swap out? And another newb question. I bought the kit on gunbroker, and was told it was a GI kit. What to look for there? Turns out, can't get to the range today. Friday for sure. Try swapping out the complete lower? and I noticed that my front sight is loose. Is this just pressure mounted on front? I need to learn how to post some pictures.

Running a GI lower and internals would be a good choice. It wouldn't hurt to clean and check the GI kit first as well.

The front sight on Ww2 M1s were pressed on and a small hole was drilled and a pin was pressed thru to keep it from moving.

Depending on what browser you use it's pretty easy to post pictures. I use chrome on my phone and just use the 'More Reply Options' and select and upload a photo.

Definitely post pictures :)

Hope that helps.

Andrew