Some Colts For Ya!

A tad further down was a West Hurley M1 for a low low $6750. Gone in a day.....

And to think my old hometown PD traded their 28 Navy with 50-round drum and bunches of stick mags for 6 Winchester Model 97 riot guns. The 28 was pristine, of course. Nevertheless, $60,000 for those 3 Colts????????? Jr., I think you're just the guy for these http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

R

The dude is asking 60K not 50K (50 being a little more in the ball park).

No, Ron, you know my position on Colts. I would never buy one for anywhere near what people think they are worth. If I could pick one up for under 10K in 98% I would be a buyer, but since that is never going to happen, well you know. I am just not a fan of the Colts. For that matter, I am not a fan of ANY kind of Colt. Matter of fact the only gun for sale in my safe is a Series 70 Colt 1911. Colt has one claim to fame. We all know what that is. They are just another firearm maker. Colt=Overpriced. Always has and always will.

Jr

I also agree with 'John Jr.' i sold my colt M16 and bought a registered receiver M16 a few months ago...with the extra money i bought an M-2 Carbine

I don't need a 'prancing pony' on the side of my gun to feel special!

http://www.darklightimagery.net/thompson/bryan/bullet%20close.jpg

You may find a "prancing pony" on a Ferrari, but not on the side of a Colt TSMG. Colt may not be everyone's cup of tea, but if you want a single action army, or Government .45, then it will be difficult to find a better manufacturer. Let us not forget John Browning found Colt worthy of his designs. SiG makes the best 9mm. The Italians make the best shotguns. The Germans made the best light machine guns. And Colt made the best SMG.

JUST REMEMBER ONE SIMPLE AND UNREFUTIBLE FACT, NONE OF THIS DISCUSSION OR THIS BOARD FOR THAT MATTER WOULD BE RELAVENT WITHOUT THE FIRST MASS PRODUCED SUBMACHINE GUN... THE COLT 21A SMG. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Colt invented the single action army. Thats it. Other than that they are just another firearms maker. Nothing more.

""" JUST REMEMBER ONE SIMPLE AND UNREFUTIBLE FACT, NONE OF THIS DISCUSSION OR THIS BOARD FOR THAT MATTER WOULD BE RELAVENT WITHOUT THE FIRST MASS PRODUCED SUBMACHINE GUN"""

How true.

One point to change...

JUST REMEMBER ONE SIMPLE AND UNREFUTIBLE FACT, NONE OF THIS DISCUSSION OR THIS BOARD FOR THAT MATTER WOULD BE RELAVENT WITHOUT THE FIRST MASS PRODUCED SUBMACHINE GUN...THE THOMPSON SUBMACHINE GUN (that was manufactured for AUTO-ORDNANCE CORPORATION under contract by COLT'S PATENT FIREARMS MANUFACTURING COMPANY)

Colt also made AO pay for all the equipment required to make the first 15K guns. All Colt did was make the guns and put them together and stamped thier name on them. They didn't design it, they didn't refine it, they did nothing but build the guns. Except for the SAA thats all they ever did is build on someone elses coattails. At least Savage refined and redesigned the guns later.

I am by no means trying to insult anyone that owns a Colt anything, especially a Colt manufactured TSMG. I just get kind of sick and tired of people blowing wind about how great and valuable a Colt this or that is. I kind of see Colt as a faux value on everything but SAAs.

The genius of the TSMG rests solely on the shoulders of John Thompson, where it belongs. Not on Colt, Savage, West Hurley, or anyone else. Its not an uncommon practice for a firearm designer to hire companies like Colt, Savage, Winchester, etc... to manufacture the designs they come up with. That does not MAKE the gun a Colt, Savage, or a Winchester.

Take the BAR for example. Lots of people made these things. Hell, even a typewriter company made them. They are still Browning Automatic Rifles and always will be. The .30 cal MG, the .50 cal MG are 1917, 1919 and M2's. Lots of people made and make these things. They are all of Browning design.

Look how many companies made the luger. They are all called a luger.

Sometimes its easy to ask what a gun is. Replys are the same.

What is a Colt 45? To some its a SAA. To others its a 1911 style pistol made by Colt, and yet to others its a 1911 style pistol regardless of who made it. 1911 was the year it was adopted by the US military, not the year it was designed. Same goes for the 1928 Thompson. A whole bunch of people made M1 Carbines and M1 Garands. There were tons of subcontractors.

Aw hell, I guess I have gone on long enough about all of this, but I credit the gun to the man who designed it, not to whatever firearms company built it for the designer. I guess thats the bottom line.

Sorry for the long post

Jr

I believe the company that manufactured it deserves a lot of the credit. It's a Colt Thompson. Auto Ord did not manufacture it (no offense to newer 1927 type owners, but one can't possibly compare the quality of one of those guns to an original 1921 Colt Thompson). Colt was at its zenith then. I've yet to see a POS Colt 1921 or a Colt Monitor or Colt 1911 or Colt Vickers from that era. The craftsmanship and bluing was primo.

Someone wrote """ JUST REMEMBER ONE SIMPLE AND UNREFUTIBLE FACT, NONE OF THIS DISCUSSION OR THIS BOARD FOR THAT MATTER WOULD BE RELAVENT WITHOUT THE FIRST MASS PRODUCED SUBMACHINE GUN"""

Let us not forget, the Thompson was also the first American SMG and the first SMG adopted by the US military, too.

I don't have to have a prancing pony either (the MP40, MP44 and other guns don't have them), but they sure do add to the ones that have them.

I really shouldn't but I confess to having a Colt Targetsman .22 that I would not trade for anything except a Colt Woodsman of equal or better condition.

I also have a .357 Python (6", blue) that shoots like a rifle.

On the other hand, there've been plenty of Colts of various models, calibers, etc. that I did not buy because the price was not justified.

While, as Colt says, "If it's not a Colt, it's a copy," may be true for some models (1911s, SAAs), IMHO in general Colt does tend to be pricy for the value.