Barrel Replacement

What is the going rate to replace a Savage 28 barrel? I have the new replacement barrel. How long would the actual work take? Is it a "I'll wait for it" kinda job?

Thanks

Bob D

It is the kind of job that needs to be done by someone who knows what they are doing. There is more to it than just screwing one out and putting the new one in like a light bulb. If the head spacing is not done correctly you are asking for trouble. Why risk damage to such an expensive weapon when there are professionals who can do the work for modest cost. Ask PK he is one of the best IMHO. Just my .02

Thanks for the reply but what I asked was "how much will it cost me to have it done (by a professional) and how long does the job take. That is, can I bring the gun in and wait for it. I have no intention of doing it myself.

Bob D

I would second Chopper28's suggestion. Not every gunsmith would have the proper tools to take off and replace a Thompson barrel, much less protecting the receiver from scratches.

As for how long a barrel change, head spacing, reattaching compensators/sight/etc and a test fire would really take is probably a day or two but that doesn't take in to account a wait time to get to your job if the gunsmith has one. Most gunsmiths do have a wait time to get to jobs so unless you are lucky, its probably not a "drop it off and I will wait" type of deal unless you are really lucky and find a gunsmith who has nothing to do. I'm not saying its impossible, but who knows until you make some calls.

I would imagine if you supplied the barrel, I would guess less than $250 for labor and checkout (being on the high side).

Again, I would suggest PK or Damon. Damon lists his price as $105 for this service at Tommygunner.com

Both are sponsoring board members and RKI's.

Chris.