Korean War Commerative On Auctionarms

Given the current state of the Thompson market I'm surprised no one is bidding on this. I think there gawdy but is there something I dont know about these?

http://www.auctionarms.com/Search/DisplayI...ItemNum=6095921

More than a little OT... (and kind of reminds me of my old "home" over on the other end of the state.) I don't know who this "arloe" fellow is, but based on his ad, it seems he doesn't have the gun, but is only listing it for G&L Arms. I do, however, know George Christy of G&L Arms and can vouch for him. (I also know he isn't "into" computers and seriously doubt that he even has one!) Anyways, I've been buying guns and ammo from him for almost 20 years, and in fact, my WH M1 TSMG came from him. (If you've ever been to Knob Creek you've no doubt seen him on the line. He's the "Little Fat Guy" on the far end of the line with a bunch of 1919s. Kind of neat to see/hear of him in such a round-about way!)

Disclaimer: I am in no way, shape or form, connected with the aforementioned auction or with G&L Arms....only tickled to "see" a familiar face (or is that a familiar name?)

The pictures do more harm than good.

It makes the receiver and barrel look "bent" http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif ; like the gun was in a fire or something.

Fellas,

If you all recall someone has been trying to sell oneof these commerative 28's for a long time- Even though they are C&R eligible it hasn't sold. Not sure why, maybe it doesn't run and to make it go would involve just maybe jacking around with some of the gol/engraving- don't know myself but there has to be a reason these stay on the boards longer than std ones.

Not to get real picky but the seller has a couple of things wrong in the ad. There were 145 WH Korean War 1928 Thompson Commemoratives and they were all made in 1984. These are well known facts that the seller could easily find. Not really fraudulent or particularly misleading - just poor business practice, in my opinion.

Why don't they (unfired WH28 Commemoratives) sell? Because they are a bit of a white elephant.

If one wanted to turn it into a shooter, that could be done for another $1250 or so for an IMA or Ohio Ordnance kit plus labor to swap everything off the receiver. Then you've turned an NIB gun into a shooter and spent $1250 to lower its perceived value.

Or you can shoot it "as is" (at a minimum you'll probably have to swap out the Numrich innards for GI vintage parts that work - especially the actuator) and risk damaging the gold plating and inlay and the rest of the finish, and likewise lowered its value perceived.

On the other hand, you've got a C&R 28 Thompson at a lot lower price than even a Savage or an AO will cost at today's prices.

But if someone lived in a C&R only state it's an option without coming close to the price of a 21

Personally I'm not particularly fond of most of the commemoratives but if funds allowed would own one of each. Ugly or not sure would make one hell of a neat display in the vault.

true enough 96lt... Besides, what is "too expensive" for a TSMG (or any MG for that matter)? What's the saying..."you can't pay too much, only too early"??? Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd ever spend $4k for any gun, let alone that that gun would eventually be worth almost three times that. (And how much more in the next few years?) Knowing what I know now, I'd love to have had the foresight to buy up a dozen TSMGs at $4k.

My .02

It is interesting how we are in agreement about the looks of this gun. It makes you wonder about the marketing strategy. Who were their target buyers when they first came out?

Most were never intended to be shooters, with all the gold and fancy lettering firing just one box of ammo could cost you big in depreciation. Even if you truly liked one is it worth the extra $1000-2500 for a semi to sit in a display.

Which really goes back to sgt questions who was their target market for these and I want to know do they really sell them. Afterall most people on gunbroker have difficulty selling them way under the Historical Foundation list prices.

http://www.ahfrichmond.com/thompson.html

And just when you think you've seen everything now this:

http://www.ahfrichmond.com/projectgraphics...cs/094mac10.ahf

For that kind of moolah they should give you all the parts....my little buddy `AUTO`is missing from the left side of the receiver... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif