Thompson Modelgun Replica

Hello,

I have a display thompson made by the Japanaese MGC.I purchased it from the Collector's armoury in 1990.I was (assured)told that i could convert this easily into a cap firing one.(putting a firing pin and using brass cartridges with 7mm caps)Is this true and are all the MGC Thompson made of the same metal able to withstand cap firing?One person said yes and another told me it could blow up in my face because it's like pot metal??Who's telling the truth?

Any help appreciated!

Mario Gomes

Are you talking about using the designed four piece plug fire cartridges with the internal caps? Or some other sort of 7mm blank round?

Many of these guns had the bolt cut at an angle and the chamber filled with a solid plug in the place of the traditional plug fire chamber. WHY??? Anybodys guess. I'd say some importer did this for unknown reasons. The left rear side of the receiver on these guns normally reads "plug fire cartridges" and when the gun was butchered as described, this lettering was usually milled away.

So, in short, if your gun had the above done, you can remover the solid plug, get a replacement chamber, fix the bolt, buy cartridges and caps and you are back in business as the gun was designed. If you need help in any of this let me know.

Dan

Hi Mario, Welcome to the boards! Ok, first, is the bolt face intact? when these MGC's where imported in the 90's some where cut for some obscure reason..Don't know..Anyways, the bolt and the chamber are usually modified at the same time. The chamber is usually plugged with a steel slug, I believe that you can remove the screw in front of the magazine well and tap the reciever with a rubber mallet to loosen the plug. The chamber with the firing pin that you need is available on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...46&category=585 and the seller also has the cartridges that you need too, along with the info that you need for the conversion..Anyways, check out my website (mp40 modelguns) to see my video of my MGC Thompson "firing" the 7mm caps.

chitowangangster:

Join us this coming Sunday night and MP 40 will be able to help you thru the process. You will need to go to ventrilo and get the voice software.

www.ventrilo.com

We will be happy to see you there.

Jr

QUOTE (mp40 @ Jan 16 2004, 11:44 PM)
Hi Mario, Welcome to the boards! Ok, first, is the bolt face intact? when these MGC's where imported in the 90's some where cut for some obscure reason..Don't know..Anyways, the bolt and the chamber are usually modified at the same time. The chamber is usually plugged with a steel slug, I believe that you can remove the screw in front of the magazine well and tap the reciever with a rubber mallet to loosen the plug. The chamber with the firing pin that you need is available on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...46&category=585 and the seller also has the cartridges that you need too, along with the info that you need for the conversion..Anyways, check out my website (mp40 modelguns) to see my video of my MGC Thompson "firing" the 7mm caps.

Hello MP40,

First Thank-you for the reply I do not understand "Ok, first, is the bolt face intact?" i don't know if it's intact or not.I'm novice at this and do not know if it's okay or not.

What is is supposed to look like?

Mario

QUOTE (deerslayer @ Jan 16 2004, 11:39 PM)
Are you talking about using the designed four piece plug fire cartridges with the internal caps? Or some other sort of 7mm blank round?

Many of these guns had the bolt cut at an angle and the chamber filled with a solid plug in the place of the traditional plug fire chamber. WHY??? Anybodys guess. I'd say some importer did this for unknown reasons. The left rear side of the receiver on these guns normally reads "plug fire cartridges" and when the gun was butchered as described, this lettering was usually milled away.

So, in short, if your gun had the above done, you can remover the solid plug, get a replacement chamber, fix the bolt, buy cartridges and caps and you are back in business as the gun was designed. If you need help in any of this let me know.
Dan

Thank-you for the reply Dan butI do not understand "Ok, first, is the bolt face intact?" i don't know if it's intact or not.I'm novice at this and do not know if it's okay or not.

What is is supposed to look like?

Mario

Help; I went to ventrilo, and down loaded the thing....now what ?......How do I get my big fat nose in this ???......jw http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif