Reising 12 Round Magazine Spring - Options

heavy artillery

Has anyone come up with a suitable solution for replacing (or reconditioning?) a Reising 12-round magazine spring? I'm looking for options such as a suitable spring from another platform (even if it needs a few coils removed).

I have a nice collection of 12 round magazines but all of them have worn springs. I'm hoping someone has come up with a good approach to replace their worn springs.

I appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

you might try high cap single-stack 1911 mags like Pro-Mag or Mec-Gar. No guarantees but it's a place to start. Don't know if they sell springs separately or not. Here's a source for the mags, you're on your own tracking down the springs. ;)

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/promag-1911-45-acp-15-round-government-commander-magazine-blued-steel-col-a5.html

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/mec-gar-1911-45-acp-11-round-magazine.html

Forget all that. Wolff makes XP mag springs for high cap 1911s. Scroll down at:

https://www.gunsprings.com/COLT/1911%20GOV'T PISTOL/cID1/mID1/dID1#805

Edited by StrangeRanger

I don't have a 12 round mag to play with but are they a true single-stack or do they use a slight stagger like Glock does with their 9mm single stacks? If it's a true single stack, a 1911 style spring should work, if it's staggered then I can see how it could kink/jam. I don't know of any .45 mags that use a staggered single column only true double stacks like the Para-Ord or G21.

Edited by StrangeRanger

Well I had a major brain fart. The 12 round mags have to have a slight stagger. They are the same length as the 20s and the 20s are a conventional double stack for rounds 3-20; the mag tapers to a single feed and rounds 1 and 2 are a staggered single feed. To pack 10 rounds into the space where the 20s hold 18 they have to have some stagger.

The controlling dimension is going to be inside-to-inside of the ribs. I did a quick layout sketch and it looks like it should be about 1.30." Can you measure and confirm? The bad news is that if my layout is even close to correct the 12 round mags are going to be a bit too narrow for a spring from a conventional double stack 9mm to fit.

Edited by StrangeRanger

@StrangeRanger Went out and checked with the calipers:

The inner width dimension at the ribs is about .57". The total (non-crimped area) is about .89". The average crimp runs around .145" (there is some minor variability in crimp depth). The 12-round spring is about .515" in width.

The 1911 spring is about .42" with the mag width being .55" - You can actually insert the 1911 magazine body in the space between the ribs.

Edited by heavy artillery

Aargh! I had the dimension scale set wrong on the layout; it was off by a factor of 2. My initial layout should have shown a width of .65", not 1.30." That's still way wider than the .57 you measured. I redid the layout and there's not much stagger, just enough to cause problems. Just for grins I checked the spring in both a high cap G19 and an Uzi mag, both are over a tenth too wide, as expected. There are a lot of staggered single stack mags in .40 S&W but that is because they are built on the same tube width as a 9mm double stack. Are there any other single stack in any caliber that use a partial stagger rather than taking full advantage of the mag length? I don't know of any.

You may be out of luck

Edit:

Suomi M31/Swedish K springs are about .54 wide so thayt may fit but they may also drag on the sides because they are just a bit wider than the Reisings.

Edited by StrangeRanger

I tried a Suomi M31 mag and a Shockwave semi-Suomi mag (they fit the Lage Max-31 but not my Suomi). You are correct, they drag too much on the sides.

I checked some other mags and discovered that one of my MP40 mag springs was very similar in width and would fully install in the 12 housing. It will need a few coils removed and some testing but I'm optimistic.

Partial success with the Wolff MP40 magazine spring. I conducted a test with removing 7 coils from the MP40 spring. This resulted in a functional magazine limited to 8 rounds (too much spring pressure to install a 9th). I function tested this spring a half-dozen times with no issues. I'll keep looking for a different spring better optimized for this magazine.

The test with 6 coils resulted in too much resistance while 8 coils did not provide enough resistance for the first round. Most of this checking could be done without removing any coils by using the bottom plate at the desired point of the spring then installing the baseplate while leaving just enough room for the remaining coils to hang out the bottom of the mag.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Heavy Artillery,

Did you ever find a satisfactory replacement for the Reising 12 rd mag spring.?????????????????

Jim C

(Better late than never.) I found a reduced-capacity workaround using a MP40 spring but am still looking for a more satisfactory replacement. I had reached out to Wolff and a few other companies without any commitment/response.