real or after market resting bar

I think you have an aluminum original. The MP-38 used the same part. Don't know whether or not the Norwegians and Bulgarians made their own spares. Bergflak would know.

There were three types of MP-40 resting bar, of course. The first were well made of aluminum, and were anodized in black. The second were of Bakelite, but these proved to be pretty delicate, and were replaced by the third type, of stamped steel.

The only repros I know of are fake Bakelite items coming out of Lithuania (being sold on eBay), and a maker called historyarms.com. in the US. These look good, but are made of some sort of softer plastic other than Bakelite, so they lack the strength, heat resistance, and dimensional stability of the originals. The good news is that you can install one without removing the original pin in the front sight mount. Just carve a notch in the fake rest, insert the tab at the rear, and press the new rest into place. It'll stay until it breaks or melts, but it'll look great for display in the meantime.

Edited by TSMGguy

Bergflak says its real.....and it originally came bare aluminum...my gun is a 1940, so i think i lucked out and got a correct part for it.....

i cannot find any numbers/stamps, but my guess is its been sanded down a bit....its hard to see anything in it with such a rough texture......i assume these were smooth and nice when new

Edited by huggytree

back in the days of cheap dewat m.g.s before 1968 , a lot of people who tried to get the welded barrel out of there gun ended up breaking the resting bar by trying to unscrew the barrel but with a big wrench. so a lot of the form 5 dewats were missing the bar.