Historical Magazine Problems ...

I am currently reading a book about the D-Day invasion back in 1944. I just came across this description of Thompson magazine issues during the battle. The following is an incident involving a Private Harry Drew, 3 Troop, number 10 Commandos, British Army.

He waded ashore carrying his Thompson submachinegun high above his head. He had been issued a 30 round magazine for the Tommy gun, something new to him -- He had always before carried a 20 round magazine

"Alas nobody had informed me that when filled with 30 rounds of .45 caliber bullets, the magazine would be too heavy and therefore easily come loose and drop off. Not knowing I filled the magazine with 30 rounds and the magazine got lost in the water and I hit the beaches of France and stormed fortress Europe without a single shot in my gun"

oh man, that sucks. that's why in most of the pictures of the brits and tommy guns you see a drum or 20 round mags... I myself prefer the 20 round mags. I have a friend who wrote 3 books on the equipment , weapons, and uniforms of the brits. he said the 30 round mags were not the mag of choice. in his book it cover the evolution of the first tommys and their equipment sent overseas to the end of the war. lots of pictures he has a museum in Waco, thats packed full of brit stuff .

The problem was not one of weight. There are many photos of soldiers with two Thompson stick magazines, generally 20 round but I believe sometimes 30 round, taped together upside down to each other to make 40 or 60 round mag packs. Also, a rib section and lips of properly formed stick mags are sometimes welded to 50 round drums so that the M1M1A1 Thompsons can do "drum dumps" as do the 21 and 28 models.

What is much more likely, the mag had improperly formed lips which prevented complete insertion. The mag would jam in the upper and give a false sense of complete insertion until a sufficient jolt would cause the mag to drop free.

MHO, YMMV, etc.

Is he saying he went into battle with only 1 magazine? That's scary.

I just quoted from the Stephen Ambrose book "D-Day" ... He didn't write anything beyond the man's description of his weapon when going ashore, but I wondered the same thing.

Is he saying he went into battle with only 1 magazine? That's scary.

I just quoted from the Stephen Ambrose book "D-Day" ... He didn't write anything beyond the man's description of his weapon when going ashore, but I wondered the same thing.

Thought I recognized the quote. I read that about a year ago.

Andrew