• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It appears that the new owner of this 1910 is not going to be forthcoming about its recent history. I guess these 1910s must grow on trees someplace! This one was built using an early interwar Russian made 1910 Maxim kit imported by and purchased from IMA in the late 1990s. Most of IMAs 1910 kits were late WWI and interwar examples and many had all matching parts. I recall that this one also had matching parts.

The receiver was assembled using a modified registered German MG08 sideplate that was made and registered by Charles Erb in the late 1970s, so the part was not an original factory sideplate from a C+R MG08. The MG08 sideplate designated by ATF between '68 and '86 as the "MG" for registration purposes was the left sideplate because German Maxims numbered only on topcover and the left sideplate, and this gun was assembled using that plate. It was slightly enlarged in length and depth to fit the 1910 receiver dimensions, and the receiver box built to fit the 1910 trunnion. Waterjacket was repainted with an olive drab/green color consistent with one or more of the many colours of green applied by the Russians to their 1910s from WWI through WWII. Of the many registered 1910 Russian Maxims that I have built, I recall that this was one of the early ones.

To date, from the Middle 1970s, I have tracked only seven factory original 1910 Russian Maxims in the registry, and having owned one in the late 1970s that was pretty rough but impressive, the import of so many kits presented an opportunity to add some to the registry. It is unfortunate that they are so scarce as fully transferable MGs since they are very user friendly, reliable, incredibly robust and durable MGs, currently with lots of ammo, spare locks, belts, loaders, barrels, etc available for shooters. In my opinion, certainly not the prettiest, but certainly the strongest and most efficient of the Maxims ever made.

Bob Naess

It appears that the new owner of this 1910 is not going to be forthcoming about its recent history. I guess these 1910s must grow on trees someplace! This one was built using an early interwar Russian made 1910 Maxim kit imported by and purchased from IMA in the late 1990s. Most of IMAs 1910 kits were late WWI and interwar examples and many had all matching parts. I recall that this one also had matching parts.

The receiver was assembled using a modified registered German MG08 sideplate that was made and registered by Charles Erb in the late 1970s, so the part was not an original factory sideplate from a C+R MG08. The MG08 sideplate designated by ATF between '68 and '86 as the "MG" for registration purposes was the left sideplate because German Maxims numbered only on topcover and the left sideplate, and this gun was assembled using that plate. It was slightly enlarged in length and depth to fit the 1910 receiver dimensions, and the receiver box built to fit the 1910 trunnion. Waterjacket was repainted with an olive drab/green color consistent with one or more of the many colours of green applied by the Russians to their 1910s from WWI through WWII. Of the many registered 1910 Russian Maxims that I have built, I recall that this was one of the early ones.

To date, from the Middle 1970s, I have tracked only seven factory original 1910 Russian Maxims in the registry, and having owned one in the late 1970s that was pretty rough but impressive, the import of so many kits presented an opportunity to add some to the registry. It is unfortunate that they are so scarce as fully transferable MGs since they are very user friendly, reliable, incredibly robust and durable MGs, currently with lots of ammo, spare locks, belts, loaders, barrels, etc available for shooters. In my opinion, certainly not the prettiest, but certainly the strongest and most efficient of the Maxims ever made.

Bob Naess

Actually the new owner didn't have all that back ground detail just bits and pieces. :) Thanks much for filling in the blanks, greatly appreciated.

Your memory is correct, with the exception of the barrel which is Finnish and the side plate all the numbers I have found so far are matching down to the lock. I also liked the fact that it had the earlier type rear sight and jacket without the tractor cap. Unfortunately time and opportunity hasn't been available to field strip it for a deep look see at all the bits and pieces.

From what I had been able to gleam from a variety of older posts on various forums I gathered that 1910s were not that common in the US. This was exactly what I was looking for in a 1910 and I jumped on this one when the opportunity presented itself. I am extremely pleased with it.

Do you know which country IMA was importing the parts kits from?

• 1 year later...

Believe I skipped posting a photo of this one the page. Arrived last November, side plate gun, matching Tula 1944 parts.

And, yes, I have gone to the Dark Side, I sold one of my Thompsons to help pay for this one.

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv121/roscoeturner/M1910%20Maxim/351/764d2cf8-b62c-498d-9862-6bc96bd3287e_zpsl1qmo3va.jpg

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv121/roscoeturner/M1910%20Maxim/351/351c_zpsgnr8o0p7.jpg

http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv121/roscoeturner/M1910%20Maxim/351/351d_zpswexvrbg4.jpg

• Upvote 1